Keep Talking Mr. Nagin

Chilly

Christ.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/25/katrina.nagin.ap/index.html

During the CBS "60 minutes" interview, a correspondent pointed out flood-damaged cars still on the streets of New Orleans' devastated Ninth Ward. Nagin replied, "You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed, and it's five years later. So let's be fair," according to CBS.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except this time, he's right.

751530[/snapback]

Yeah, because after a tragedy, I can just snap my fingers and have a multi-million dollar public construction project complete.

Edit: To make myself more clear, the way Nagin said it was absolutely retarded, and thats what I'm getting at.

Except this time, he's right.

751530[/snapback]

I remember just after 9/11, New Yorkers were lining the streets with tears in their eyes cheering the relief trucks and firemen, etc. that were driving past toward Ground Zero. Then a Con Edison truck came by to help with the power and they cheered that, and then turned to each other, like, "Holy Crap! We're cheering Con Ed?!" :P

Yeah, because after a tragedy, I can just snap my fingers and have a multi-million dollar public construction project complete.

Edit: To make myself more clear,  the way Nagin said it was absolutely retarded, and thats what I'm getting at.

751536[/snapback]

Sometimes it takes a retard to make a perfectly valid point. Why is there still a gaping hole in the ground, while the only location that was handled by a private developer is standing tall and ready to take occupants?

Sometimes it takes a retard to make a perfectly valid point.  Why is there still a gaping hole in the ground, while the only location that was handled by a private developer is standing tall and ready to take occupants?

751649[/snapback]

Because it wasn't handled by a private developer. :P

A lot of it had to do with the fact that they had to redesign the tower's base and redo all the drafts/paperwork.

Given how tall it's going to be, I'm not surprised at all that it has taken this long. And they have begun construction.

Sometimes it takes a retard to make a perfectly valid point.  Why is there still a gaping hole in the ground, while the only location that was handled by a private developer is standing tall and ready to take occupants?

751649[/snapback]

You piqued my interest with that post, I will need to read about that for my own curiousity..

Nagin should focus on new orleans.

A lot of it has to do with the memorial. New Orleans is rebuilding with an eye on the future while NYC is rebuilding for the future with the added criteria of making sure nobody forgets the past.

It's an impossible task to satisfy everyone's idea of the proper way to honor the deceased. The challenge is reinforced by the strong emotions that won't allow the surviving family members to compromise.

Additionally, plans for the new tower(s) are being scrutinized (understandably) at an unusually high level for safety, security and environmental impact.

Because it wasn't handled by a private developer.  :P

A lot of it had to do with the fact that they had to redesign the tower's base and redo all the drafts/paperwork.

Given how tall it's going to be, I'm not surprised at all that it has taken this long. And they have begun construction.

751661[/snapback]

Not quite. The biggest reason for the delay is that you have no less than 5 governmental agencies deciding on the "right" way to develop the site, and trying to force a commercially unfeasible project onto a private developer.

Keep swinging.

Not quite.  The biggest reason for the delay is that you have no less than 5 governmental agencies deciding on the "right" way to develop the site, and trying to force a commercially unfeasible project onto a private developer.

Keep swinging.

751680[/snapback]

And a bunch of "victims" who keep trying to sue on the grounds that all of lower Manhattan "should be" a park.

It'll be a hole in the ground for a long time...a fitting monument to American stupidity, really...

A lot of it has to do with the memorial. New Orleans is rebuilding with an eye on the future while NYC is rebuilding for the future with the added criteria of making sure nobody forgets the past.

It's an impossible task to satisfy everyone's idea of the proper way to honor the deceased. The challenge is reinforced by the strong emotions that won't allow the surviving family members to compromise.

Additionally, plans for the new tower(s) are being scrutinized (understandably) at an unusually high level for safety, security and environmental impact.

751678[/snapback]

Exactly. I'm not really surprised at all by how long it's taking in NYC.

And Nagin bringing up 9/11 to cover his own (incompetent) ass is deplorable. I can't believe the people of NO re-elected this retard but they deserve what they get when he continues doing a terrible job.

Not quite.  The biggest reason for the delay is that you have no less than 5 governmental agencies deciding on the "right" way to develop the site, and trying to force a commercially unfeasible project onto a private developer.

Keep swinging.

751680[/snapback]

Neither what you said, nor what Matty said, are 100% correct.

The real truth, I think, lies in delays from both the delays of government and the complications of build a tower this big in memorial of an event (which is what I was trying to say in my last post, a big reason for the delay is in the complications of building a tower, and also lies with the fact that its the government trying to get it done).

Or you could just look at the Government as this evil entity who doesn't ever get the job done anywhere, as you are. Its easy to blame the government for any delays when you have an assumption that everything they do never gets done.

Keep swinging.

751680[/snapback]

...and think...there are people who feel that the government needs to get more involved in our lives.

Not lower Manhattan.  And it's not a memorial park.

751705[/snapback]

Are you sure? I thought maybe it was named after Comedy Central.

Wouldn't it be really cool if they built two identical memorial parks right next to each other, that were, like, 110 stories high each? That would be awesome.

Edit: To make myself more clear,  the way Nagin said it was absolutely retarded, and thats what I'm getting at.

751536[/snapback]

They sure shut the oil well fires off WAY under schedule back in 1991.

What I am trying to say is that YES, you can basically snap your fingers when you want to.

Am I up to $.12 now?

:P

What I am trying to say is that YES, you can basically snap your fingers when you want to.

Am I up to $.12 now?

751713[/snapback]

You owe me money for making me read that.

:D

Am I up to $.12 now?

751713[/snapback]

Yeah, they actually can move damned quick...when they don't have to deal with state and local governments, and coordinate between a multitude of federal agencies. If those oil fires were in California, with the city, county, and CA state governments as well as DOE, Interior, HHS, EPA, etc. involved, they'd still be burning.

It's a lot easier when the emir of a postage-stamp sized Middle Eastern country can call Red Adair and say "Git 'er done", and the US government isn't even involved.

...and think...there are people who feel that the government needs to get more involved in our lives.

751710[/snapback]

In the upper Miss flood of 1993... How many federal levees failed that were under the DIRECT maint of the government?

I'd like to see the record for NO in 2005... Betcha a lot of them were not under the direct maint of the USACE...

You know when I say direct maintainance... I mean the guys ACTUALLY doing the work... Not some private contractor.