Question

It seems with all the positions in professional football there is usually a generally accepted amount of "development time" before an impact can be made by a new player in that particular position. (a starter of course)

You seem to hear that it takes 3 years for a WR, 3 years for OL positions, 3-5 years for a QB (agggghhhh), etc. etc. etc.

Of course there are those 1 in a million players that impact immediately.

My question is what are some "development time" numbers for the SS position as in Donte Whitner.

I'm not looking to get the criticism flowing here, just want to know what we should expect for his 1st year.

What SS's in the past have impacted immediately.

Here are some reasons. There are others.

One of the reasons that Whitner is supposed to be able to come in and play right away is the type of defense the Bills chose to play. The Cover 2 as it is called is a lot easier to learn than any other defense, as far as I know. It's designed to cut down on the complexity, and number of looks and disguises and varying responsibilites, and have its players learn its relatively simple tenets so they can rely more on their athleticism than their smarts. They have the same basic area to cover most every play rather than different looks for different defensive alignments.

Secondly, the safety position is the least amount of contact as far as one on one blocking goes. A lot of time it takes for the DL and the LB to learn how to play in the NFL has to do with learning how to beat wily veterans who know how to play the game and know how to take you out of the play. Safeties, because they play off the line, are more free to roam and run to the ball so it's a quicker learning process. Pretty much the same reason in reverse that RB is the easiest position to walk right in and excel on offense. It is usually the pass blocking that gets these guys because they don't know how to deal with the speed and strength and tactics of their opponent, but they already know how to run and catch.

Thirdly, Whitner was highly regarded as an intelligent player, hard film studier, and student of the game. So the Bills assumed and felt it would be a little easier for him to come in and immediately play than another rookie at that same position who didn't have or has yet to show those same qualities.

One of the reasons that Whitner is supposed to be able to come in and play right away is the type of defense the Bills chose to play. The Cover 2 as it is called is a lot easier to learn than any other defense, as far as I know. It's designed to cut down on the complexity, and number of looks and disguises and varying responsibilites, and have its players learn its relatively simple tenets so they can rely more on their athleticism than their smarts. They have the same basic area to cover most every play rather than different looks for different defensive alignments.

751108[/snapback]

This is a HUGE advantage of the cover 2 defense. Its the reason why Indy spends like coke fiends on their offense. Dungy has stated numeous times that with his cover 2, you can almost run a "plug and play" with rookies. Its also why hes not terribly worried about losing decent players every season. Draft a decent rookie, and they can pick the system quickyl, and rely on their athleticism to overcome their inexperience.

Secondly, the safety position is the least amount of contact as far as one on one blocking goes. A lot of time it takes for the DL and the LB to learn how to play in the NFL has to do with learning how to beat wily veterans who know how to play the game and know how to take you out of the play. Safeties, because they play off the line, are more free to roam and run to the ball so it's a quicker learning process. Pretty much the same reason in reverse that RB is the easiest position to walk right in and excel on offense. It is usually the pass blocking that gets these guys because they don't know how to deal with the speed and strength and tactics of their opponent, but they already know how to run and catch.

Thirdly, Whitner was highly regarded as an intelligent player, hard film studier, and student of the game. So the Bills assumed and felt it would be a little easier for him to come in and immediately play than another rookie at that same position who didn't have or has yet to show those same qualities.

751108[/snapback]

Good post KTD; a question.....

Years ago, it took LBs WAY longer to play well in the NFL. For the last several years (I actually started to notice with Cowart), rookies are stepping in and kicking ass.

What has changed to allow this?

Good post KTD; a question.....

Years ago, it took LBs WAY longer to play well in the NFL. For the last several years (I actually started to notice with Cowart), rookies are stepping in and kicking ass.

What has changed to allow this?

751119[/snapback]

I am not sure. My immediate reaction is that in that time period we have seen the evolution of the 6'2" 240 LB who runs as fast as most RBs. And there are dozens and dozens of them. The old LBs, like I said in the above post, needed time to learn how to play in the NFL. Now they are just so big and strong and fast that they can get to the places on the field to make the plays sideline to sideline that only a few of them like LT and guys like Cornelius Bennett used to be able to do. It's why screen passes aren't as easy to run any more, and pitchouts to the RBs, and sweeps and other plays that used to be potential big gainers but now are dangerous because guys come flying out of nowehere unblocked from across the field to run it down.