Cuts for the 53 man roster is due in about 2 weeks

Tipster19

I must admit that I didn't see too much of the Cincy/Buffalo game last night on the NFL channel but the little I saw (the last several minutes of the 3rd quarter) made me nervous about stopping the run. I sure would like to see us add some more beef in the middle.

I didn't get to see the game unfortunately.

However, the stats make it seem decent. Rudi was held to a 1 yard average. Their best rusher was Doug Johnson the QB with a 3.75 yard average and McNeal with 1 carry for 4 yards.

Wilson had 44 yards on 16 carries (2.75 YPC) and Dorsey had 22 yards on 6 carries (3.66 YPC). Also, the longest rushing play was 13 yards.

Seems like we gave up a lot less then last year, where in week 2 of the preseason the Bills gave up 4.25 ypc to the shitter Davenport, and a 22 yard run.

A marked improvement. Oh, and that was against Green Bay, not Cincinnati.

Not to mention versus Chicago Thomas Jones getting 94 yards on 14 carries, and Detroit rushing somewhat successfully as well.

I sure would like to see us add some more beef in the middle.

750144[/snapback]

Just not going to happen. The Tampa 2 defense is predicated on everyone flying to the ball, including active d-tackles like Tripplett, McCargo and Williams. What you were probably seeing was the lack of depth at the position. After those three, we gots no one.

The Eagles are going to have to release a quality D-lineman. I starred the players who will make the team, who comes free depends upon how many players they keep at each position.

DE Jevon Kearse *

DE Darrell Lee - cut

DE Jerome McDougle - ?

DE Juqua Thomas - ?

DE Trent Cole *

DE Darren Howard *

That's 3 spots gone with Thomas and McDougle on the bubble. Thomas has been unstoppable in pre-season and McDougle is hurt again. McDougle was a former #1 pick but he hurt his knee in '04 and missed the year, he was shot in an attempted carjacking last year (he was the jackee not the jacker) and missed the year, and he broke his ribs in camp this year. The Eagles might cut him if they are impressed enough by Thomas. That puts 4 DE's on their roster, they may keep both McDougle and Thomas but that likely makes them cut another DT.

DT Ed Jasper - ?

DT Brodrick Bunkley *

DT Darwin Walker *

DT LaJuan Ramsey - ?

DT Sam Rayburn - ?

DT Mike Patterson *

DT Kenyota Marshall - cut

Ramsey's been good, but he's a rookie, Rayburn has been solid but unspectacular and Jasper is a steady 10 year vet. Each will be solid depth but all three won't make the team. They already have 2 very young DTs in Bunkley and Patterson and Rayburn isn't old. I think the choice comes down to Jasper or Ramsey. I think the Eagles will keep Jasper and try to sneak Ramsey onto the PS. If they cut Ramsey we should pick him up in a hot second, if they drop Jasper he's at least worth a look as a rotation/depth type guy. If they keep 5 DEs they will drop both Jasper and Ramsey.

Ideally, they'll cut either Thomas or McDougle AND Ramsey and we should claim both of them.