Just watched the game on NFL network

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it last night too, and here are my thoughts:

Nate Clements is not an elite CB. Don't resign him.

Gandy is more than serviceable at LT.

JP has matured light years past last year.

Troy Vincent will be on the bench ASAP. Baker and Simpson are the real deal.

Someone other than Triplett needs to step it up at DT.

Ryan Denney should be the starting LDE.

Rien Lindell could be a Pro Bowl kicker this year.

From what I saw of the game:

Lionel Gates has no moves.  So why does he keep trying to put them on guys?  You're big - run over them.

Our defence needs to get better in a hurry. Cincy schooled us.

749831[/snapback]

Cincy schooled who's defense? By the Bills first unit giving up 10 points is SOOOO far from a schooling. I haven't seen the bills sworm all over the field in years like this!!

Cincy schooled who's defense? By the Bills first unit giving up 10 points is SOOOO far from a schooling. I haven't seen the bills sworm all over the field in years like this!!

749953[/snapback]

Agreed. I am not concerned about the Bills defense this year. We will be good and fast and much better against the run. When Spikes comes back, we could be a top 5 unit again.

Agreed. I am not concerned about the Bills defense this year. We will be good and fast and much better against the run. When Spikes comes back, we could be a top 5 unit again.

749956[/snapback]

I noticed in Chris Brown's blog that Liam Ezekial is moving up the roster because of his quick grasp of the D scheme, and this was obvious on one play with the third team where Eric Powell was out of position, playing off the line some, and Ezekial was yelling and pointing to him to get to the line and go after the quarterback. Sure as shchit, Powell applied the pressure and forced the quarterback to throw too soon to the left wideout, and Ezekial had the coverage. I personally think it speaks volumes when you show this early that you not only know where you're supposed to be on a play, but where other people are supposed to be as well.

Something else I noticed in the game: this game is too fast for Holcomb anymore. He looked like the tin man compared to everyone else on the field. I swear at one point, while he was standing in the pocket, I thought I heard him mutter "oil can."

Something else I noticed in the game: this game is too fast for Holcomb anymore. He looked like the tin man compared to everyone else on the field. I swear at one point, while he was standing in the pocket, I thought I heard him mutter "oil can."

750013[/snapback]

:devil:0:) There was Oil Can Boyd. Now "Oil Can Kelly".

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. The defense looked "ok", but I still would have liked to have seen them play better given that the Bengals were without Carson Palmer and both starting tackles. There were occasions when our front seven was getting pushed around far too easily. It is still too early to tell (especially given that Takeo was not in there), but this is something that I am going to pay more attention to in future games.

2. On one of JP's fumbles, we had 6 guys blocking 4 rushers. Nevertheless, the Bengals front line was able to get to the QB. JP should have protected the ball, but there is no way that 6 blockers should have allowed 4 guys to get up the field the way that they did.

3. On the replay of the game that I saw, they appeared to have cut two of the Bills' offensive series in the second half (including one of the TDs when Nall was the QB). I remember last year that there were some series that were cut from preseason games on the NFL network.

3.  On the replay of the game that I saw, they appeared to have cut two of the Bills' offensive series in the second half (including one of the TDs when Nall was the QB).  I remember last year that there were some series that were cut from preseason games on the NFL network.

750036[/snapback]

They cut them down to exactly three hours for scheduling purposes so there is usually a series or two in the second half that they cut out if it runs overboard. They can't just let them go on like the regular games.

They cut them down to exactly three hours for scheduling purposes so there is usually a series or two in the second half that they cut out if it runs overboard. They can't just let them go on like the regular games.

750039[/snapback]

Funny. Even when you know it's going to happen, it still messes you up.

My observations from the game......

JP was spectacular but inconsistant....this is what we are going to get from JP until he gets some seasoning to him....he will throw one in the dirt on one play and on the next throw a strike down the field. 2 things I will say on this:

- His receivers need to help him out by a. Not dropping balls (reed) and b. Come back to the damn ball (Price)

- All I have been hearing from JPL's detractors is that he cant throw short passes....I call bullhorsedoodoo on this one....he WAS throwing short passes and one of them was the long run by Lee Evans.

The Defense is playing much better then a lot are giving them credit for.....even though they are still in a vanilla scheme they are playing much better against the run then last year.....when the secondary gels and I think that is just a matter of games this defense is going to be VERY good.....we just played 2 pretty good offensive teams.

- Compared to last year overall the OL is giving VERY good protection

- Kyle Williams is a stud

- Denny and Kelsay are playing at about the same level now

- Watch out for Roscoe Parrish

- It looks like all of the wideouts are willing blockers

- Shawd Williams need to hit the road...they need to keep Gates AND Thomas

- I am dissapointed that Nance is not doing anything

- Holcomb does not fit this offense.

Well I guess I'll chime in after watching it yesterday as well...

JP is what he is right now...He can make big Plays and give them up, but there is no question he is the best option right now at Starting QB...He threw some REAL nice Balls, and a couple clunkers...Reed dropped a Pass he should have caught, but when JP is able to consitantly hit the open WR (ie when he threw short of an open Parrish on one 3rd Down Play), that is when he will take the next step...And not before...He has to improve his consistancy...The INT was just not good...The Fumbles? The 1st one was on JP no question, the 2nd one JP got absolutely torpedoed...The 2nd one was on the O-Line...All in all I thought JP took a small step forward...

Willis looked great and The A-Train did not look half bad. The Run Blocking was definitely improved over the Carolina Game...The Pass Blocking was improved as well, but took a hit with those 2 Sack/Fumbles...

I really like the potential of this Defense. It's probably not going to show in the Win/Loss column till 2007, but the Bills have some REAL good young talent on D. Kyle Williams is super quick when he get penetration, Whitner is getting better as he learns the D, and it looks like we at least have a bit of Depth Defensively this Year. I thought the 1st Team D played real well, and if Nate gets that Ball out of Chad Johnson's hand on the 1 Yard Line (I still can't believe Johnson held on to that thing...Have to give credit where it is due) the D only gives up 3 Points in the 1st Half that were not directly related to a Turnover against a pretty good Offense, Palmer or no Palmer (admittedly much better with Palmer...but you get the point)...

All in all I was actually encouraged dispite the lopsided score...The mistakes on Offense just killed the Bills in this Game, but the good news is it's Pre Season. Still time to improve, and hopefully we'll see a Team that can hang on to the Ball better in the next 2 weeks... :devil:

All in all I was actually encouraged dispite the lopsided score...The mistakes on Offense just killed the Bills in this Game, but the good news is it's Pre Season. Still time to improve, and hopefully we'll see a Team that can hang on to the Ball better in the next 2 weeks... :devil:

750198[/snapback]

I am offically on the KOKBILLS bandwagon! 0:)

That is EXACTLY the way I feel.

Had JPL's fumbles not happened we would have been right in the game.....

But...nothing to do about it now but move forward.

750209[/snapback]

Actually even with JP's fumbles (and the pick'n'go and Willis' fumble) we were still right in the game.

Being down 4-0 in turnover differential at halftime and still within a score vs a team that could contend for a conference championship is comforting in an uncomfortable sort of way. :devil:

Had JPL's fumbles not happened we would have been right in the game.....

But...nothing to do about it now but move forward.

750209[/snapback]

That's the thing. I can actually live with those fumbles. It's not like they were big mental mistakes; he just got hit hard and dropped the ball. It's something that is very easy to correct--but sometimes it's a matter of bad luck. As for the pick, that was a different story--we can't be throwing a mental-error pick every game run back for a TD.

Actually even with JP's fumbles (and the pick'n'go and Willis' fumble) we were still right in the game.

Being down 4-0 in turnover differential at halftime and still within a score vs a team that could contend for a conference championship is comforting in an uncomfortable sort of way.  :devil:

Well the Bills WOULD have been within a score at the half if not for inexplicably passing the ball with 30 seconds left on the game clock. But it IS the pre-season...

Well the Bills WOULD have been within a score at the half if not for inexplicably passing the ball with 30 seconds left on the game clock.  But it IS the pre-season...

750225[/snapback]

Wasn't it 24-17 at the half? I haven't watched the tape yet but thought I saw that score.

Then again I'm a functional idiot so it probably wasn't. :devil: