Watson cut is interesting regarding...

Pyrite Gal

Wendell Hunter.

Hunter seems to be the guy who has stepped at LB so far in camp. I assume they cut former NFL starter Watson because he showed up out of weight and performed worse that they hoped.

However, given that a team will keep an overweight bad performer when his back-up is worse, then with two preseason games to go the fact they have given up on Watson at this unforced point means that the Bills value giving a back-up the reps more than trying to get Watson into the best shape they can.

Hunter has created some good buzz with his play in practice and his use by the Bills indicates that the braintrust takes the meida/fan buzz seriously. However, my hope had been that Watson who had had some experience at MLB would allow us to find a good back-up for Fletcher-Baker as I am not comfortable with Liam Exekial in that role,

Maybe the deal is we move Crowell over to MLB if we need a back-up for Fletcher-Baker and we have been flipping players back and forth between the Will and Sam jobs pretty regularly. The cuts we have made (Posey/Watson) strike me as showing some confidence in TKO's recover, Hunter;s buzz and Ellison's rookie play, but the LB depth situation is a mystery to me in terms how we are going to use what appears to be a fairly talented group of players.

I seriously doubt the Bills make personnel moves based on "fan and media buzz."

PTR

749339[/snapback]

I doubt it also, the point I was inarticulately making was that I think that the his play in practice and in games merely confirmed the fan and media buzz and it was this that droce the coaches thinking. One can argue which came first (and actually it was the faith the braintrust put in him that kept him on the PS which preceeded both his play or buzz this year) but it really is not impprtant which came first, i just mentioned both because the reaction is the same so its more than observation from one perspective.

I seriously doubt the Bills make personnel moves based on "fan and media buzz."

PTR

749339[/snapback]

If they did, Martin Nance would have been listed as the starter at every position on the field! :devil:

But alas, it looks like the poor chap will be cut and added to the practice squad. Shocking, I know.

Another interesting to look at regarding cuts is that the Bills every other season or so seem to cut a guy early in the process and then sign him up adter the least roster cuts. They did this because there was some rule advantage which came to the Bills regarding cutting a player early and not exposing another player who would be signed and then after the rosters were set they could make a move which allowed them to resign the player whom they seem to have some agreement with that he would not use being an FA to sign elsewhere.

I am curipus under the new CBA and with the expansion of the PS size whether these types of moves are necessary or allowed.