Browns' Training Camp Report

I went to the morning session of the Browns' training camp today. The Browns have a nice complex in Berea that doubles as their HQ.

The guy the Bills have to be most concerned about is a rookie RB from Washington State named Jerome Harrison. He scored the winning touchdown Friday night against the Lions. This kid is short, but he's got quite a bit of speed and seems like a tough young player.

Reuben Droughns was nowhere to be seen today. He's in Denver, pleading not guilty in a domestic violence case involving his wife. Another athlete makes the police blotter. Yawn.

Braylon Edwards is really coming along nicely. He may even get in a play or two Saturday night...nearly two months ahead of schedule. His only problem is his timing seems to be a little off. At least twice this morning, he dropped short passes because he started to turn upfield before the ball got to him.

KWII(aka Solja Boy) has also healed well and was running at full speed during out patterns. One reporter here said he seemed to have a hitch in his step after running plays, but I didn't notice it. Winslow should be near 100% by the opener against New Orleans.

Ted Washington is the Browns' oldest player at 38. All the defensive players today were wearing the dark brown jerseys. By the end of practice, the big guy was obviously winded. Even though temps were in the low 70s here, it was a sun-splashed morning. Imagine what it would be like practicing in those brown jerseys for two hours in the sun, even on a mild day like today. Heck, even I was getting hot after a while.

Finally, Charlie Frye did make a couple of nice completions, one to rookie wideout Travis Wilson and a couple to Winslow, who seems to be his best friend on the team now. That said, I'm not all that impressed with #9. I believe that the Browns may have to pick up a veteran QB at some point. Vinny Testaverde could be an option (even at 75 or whatever he is now. Still, he's younger than Julio Franco.).

Overall, the Browns are not a Super Bowl-caliber team. They aren't even a playoff team this year. I see 8-8 at best. And even if Bentley hadn't gotten hurt early on, they're still an 8-8 team.

Hope this helps. From your intrepid Cleveland correspondent,

Mike

I believe that the Browns may have to pick up a veteran QB at some point.  Vinny Testaverde could be an option.

748450[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me. If I was a fan of a team that was seriously considering VT as the QB, I would chalk the season up to 2-14 right then and just give up. I'm not too impressed by Frye either, but there is NO WAY Testaverde is a better option.

You've got to be kidding me.  If I was a fan of a team that was seriously considering VT as the QB, I would chalk the season up to 2-14 right then and just give up.  I'm not too impressed by Frye either, but there is NO WAY Testaverde is a better option.

748454[/snapback]

I think that VT is simply an option b/c they want a veteran around for Frye to learn from. I also believe Frye will be a good QB eventually, but I don't see it happening this year.

And from what I saw of the backups, it may not be pretty. I'm still not convinced that Ken Dorsey's arm is right, after hurting it in the waning moments of the Fiesta Bowl when Cie Grant hit it nearly four years ago. He's not an NFL quality QB, even for a backup. The other two guys, Derek Anderson and Lang Campbell, I didn't see enough of to make any judgments.

Mike

You sure you want that Avatar on a Bills board? We have no room to insult the Browns, but some ingrates would gladly take their anger out on you.

I'm ticked they have Big Ted... he was good for us and Mount Washington/Sapp was a nice tandem in Oakland, I just think that the black outfits tired 'em out too fast.

You sure you want that Avatar on a Bills board? We have no room to insult the Browns, but some ingrates would gladly take their anger out on you.

748467[/snapback]

Um, I've been here a lot longer than you have. And most on this board know where I stand.

Mike

748467[/snapback]

Mike will switch back to being a Bill's fan next year, then a Cincy fan the year after.

You should get into Politics, Mike. You'd fit right in. :P:flirt:

Yeesh, no need to be harsh

748471[/snapback]

Not being harsh...at least I don't mean to be.

I've simply repeated the story so many times that I'm sure everybody's tired of hearing it by now.

Sorry if I was a little too brusque.

Mike

I think that VT is simply an option b/c they want a veteran around for Frye to learn from.  I also believe Frye will be a good QB eventually, but I don't see it happening this year.

And from what I saw of the backups, it may not be pretty.  I'm still not convinced that Ken Dorsey's arm is right, after hurting it in the waning moments of the Fiesta Bowl when Cie Grant hit it nearly four years ago.  He's not an NFL quality QB, even for a backup.  The other two guys, Derek Anderson and Lang Campbell, I didn't see enough of to make any judgments.

Mike

748464[/snapback]

Dorsey might surprise... He has smarts. Didn't know he was having arm trouble. But before and if it's not a lingering problem, his arm is better than suspected. IMO.

Dorsey might surprise... He has smarts. Didn't know he was having arm trouble. But before and if it's not a lingering problem, his arm is better than suspected. IMO.

748486[/snapback]

Dorsey sucks.

It's preseason, we don't need a scouting report, Mike.  And why do you feel the need to "sign" your posts.  I've read many of them and they're nothing to be that proud about.

748708[/snapback]

Preseason or not, the Brownies are the Bills next opponent.

Eyewitness reports about an opponent are welcome...

It's preseason, we don't need a scouting report, Mike.  And why do you feel the need to "sign" your posts.  I've read many of them and they're nothing to be that proud about.

748708[/snapback]

Tradition. I started posting here before I figured out what a signature was. I've continued it because it distinguishes my posts from other ones.

Man, this board is gettin' tough.

Mike

748708[/snapback]

It's vainilla posting, we're in preaseason, sheesh