Snakes On A Plane

Chilly

Sometimes it was fun... but I can remember getting thrown out of Conan the Barbarian for laughing too loud.

"Contemplate that upon the Tree of Doom!" :blush:  0:)  :)

747942[/snapback]

Getting thrown out for laughing too loud?? That's the craziest thing I've heard. :lol:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is this movie getting SOOO much press?  I don't get it... :blush:

745786[/snapback]

I guess the inter-tubes got filled up with the "4 word plot summary" title....that's where the initial buzz came from. Then of course main-stream media needs to glom on what is the latest buzz on the tubes. What was interesting, in a respect, is that the title, combined with Samuel Jackson in the lead role, pretty much conjured up some very distinct images in people's minds of what the movie should be like, and the studio turned around and used those "images" to make some tweaks to the movie.

Then, when Ted Stevens complained about how the buzz on the movie was slowing down the arrival of Internets from his staff, he made the famous quote "Get these mother!@#$ing snakes off my mother!@#$ing tubes."

You can't manufacture "cool." A cult movie becomes a cult classic in spite of itself, not because it is viral marketed or because it purposfully aims for the lowest common denominator. This movie was mass-hyped, aided by the studio's allowance of fans to use the title for fan-based merchandising...thus, everyone and anyone is pumping out "Snakes on a plane" T-shirts, etc, because buzz is the only way this movie would have ever seen the light of day.

Is the movie dumb fun? Probably, but so are a whole host of other flicks. But this movie does not epitomize "cool" nor will it hold on to any long-lasting cult status. If anything, it will subject us to more of the same "dumb as a marketing device" movies. It will win it's coveted MTV movie awards, and it will be "The best movie ever" until "Snakes-fatigue" and the next internet hype-driven movie comes along...just a fading blip on the pop-trash-culture radar screen. Manufactured cool. The Blink182 of movies.

You can't manufacture "cool."  A cult movie becomes a cult classic in spite of itself, not because it is viral marketed or because it purposfully aims for the lowest common denominator.  This movie was mass-hyped, aided by the studio's allowance of fans to use the title for fan-based merchandising...thus, everyone and anyone is pumping out "Snakes on a plane" T-shirts, etc, because buzz is the only way this movie would have ever seen the light of day. 

Is the movie dumb fun?  Probably, but so are a whole host of other flicks.  But this movie does not epitomize "cool" nor will it hold on to any long-lasting cult status.  If anything, it will subject us to more of the same "dumb as a marketing device" movies.  It will win it's coveted MTV movie awards, and it will be "The best movie ever" until "Snakes-fatigue" and the next internet hype-driven movie comes along...just a fading blip on the pop-trash-culture radar screen.  Manufactured cool.  The Blink182 of movies.

748165[/snapback]

http://tinyurl.com/pnupc

You can't manufacture "cool."  A cult movie becomes a cult classic in spite of itself, not because it is viral marketed or because it purposfully aims for the lowest common denominator.  This movie was mass-hyped, aided by the studio's allowance of fans to use the title for fan-based merchandising...thus, everyone and anyone is pumping out "Snakes on a plane" T-shirts, etc, because buzz is the only way this movie would have ever seen the light of day. 

Is the movie dumb fun?  Probably, but so are a whole host of other flicks.  But this movie does not epitomize "cool" nor will it hold on to any long-lasting cult status.  If anything, it will subject us to more of the same "dumb as a marketing device" movies.  It will win it's coveted MTV movie awards, and it will be "The best movie ever" until "Snakes-fatigue" and the next internet hype-driven movie comes along...just a fading blip on the pop-trash-culture radar screen.  Manufactured cool.  The Blink182 of movies.

748165[/snapback]

Funny...you can replace "Snakes on a Plane" or "movie" in your post with "Democratic Party", and it's still largely applicable.

"If anything, it will subject us to more of the same "dumb as a marketing device" Democratic Party." :blush:

748165[/snapback]

Good post. People want to try and turn movies into something like "Rocky Horror" from a cult perspective, but they just don't realize you can't MAKE these things happen. If you do, you'll find the results flame out quickly.

Tokyo Drift comes out on DVD Sept 28th!

748101[/snapback]

I know I'm probably the only one, but I'm really looking forward to that flick man....I loved the first one and really enjoyed the second one :flirt:

If you haven't seen one of these flicks on a kick ass surround system, you're missing half the experience :P

I know I'm probably the only one, but I'm really looking forward to that flick man....I loved the first one and really enjoyed the second one  :flirt:   

If you haven't seen one of these flicks on a kick ass surround system, you're missing half the experience  :P

748749[/snapback]

9/26/2006 :doh:

Don't think I will be buying though. :doh:

9/26/2006 :doh:

Don't think I will be buying though. :doh:

748754[/snapback]

You subscribe to netflix, don't you? Just rent it :flirt:

I have to say, I'm impressed with the HD-DVD titles coming out over the next month....there are some nice opportunites to revsit some solid films, while also enjoying the full glory of HD :P

Oh, I will rent... MI set looks good, but this is the one (of those recently added) that I really want bad! :flirt:

The Searchers tomorrow, one of my all-time faves!

748788[/snapback]

I have the Searchers here on DVD....been sitting around for a year now collecting dust, though I've heard it's a great flick. Sounds like I may just wait til I join you two in the HD-DVD club and check it out that way.

I think I've mentioned this to both you guys already, but I have to say that some of the films I've been most impressed with in HD have been older flicks. It's really amazing to see a 30 or 40 year old film come to life in HD. I saw a little bit of Das Boot a couple months ago on HDMovies....I was shocked at how crystal clear the pic was. One movie I'd love to see in HD is Deliverance. I was blown away by how good the transfer was in SD, so I'm sure it would be stunnng in HD.

I think I've mentioned this to both you guys already, but I have to say that some of the films I've been most impressed with in HD have been older flicks. It's really amazing to see a 30 or 40 year old film come to life in HD. I saw a little bit of Das Boot a couple months ago on HDMovies....I was shocked at how crystal clear the pic was. One movie I'd love to see in HD is Deliverance. I was blown away by how good the transfer was in SD, so I'm sure it would be stunnng in HD.

748796[/snapback]

2001 is coming soon! :flirt: