Notre Dame investigating possible NCAA violations

Tux of Borg

Link

Notre Dame investigating possible NCAA violations

Charlie Weis is letting the compliance department determine if any rules were violated.

AP

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame is looking into whether student-athletes, including football and basketball players, violated NCAA rules with comments promoting a local sports talk show on the CBS affiliate here.

John Heisler, Notre Dame's senior associate athletic director, said Saturday he became aware of possible violations when contacted Friday afternoon by a reporter for The Journal Gazette of Fort Wayne. Heisler said the school has not seen the spots, promoting "Sports Dogz" on WSBT-TV, so it does not know if it violates NCAA rules.

"We're just trying to figure out what this is," he said. "I don't know if we know for sure it's an NCAA violation."

Telephone messages were left Saturday on cell phones for two NCAA spokesmen by The Associated Press. Jennifer Kearns, an associate director of public and media relations with the NCAA, told The Journal Gazette that in past situations when a student-athlete did not know they were breaking an NCAA rule it had been deemed as a secondary violation.

Heisler said school officials would ask WSBT-TV to provide copies of the promotions.

Last year USC quarterback Matt Leinart had his eligibility temporarily revoked after appearing in a promotional segment on ESPN. Leinart was reinstated after Southern California petitioned the NCAA. The NCAA said Leinart's actions were "unintentional and inadvertent."

Coach Charlie Weis said Saturday that the television spots by the Notre Dame players might be different because the comments weren't used as promotions outside of the program.

"This is something run during the show, so it's a totally different," he said.

Weis said he is depending on Notre Dame's compliance officer to determine whether any rules were violated.

"I'll just let them go ahead and deal with it," he said. "But I feel it will be taken care of very quickly."

Of all the things that should be investigated, non-compensated promotion of fan interest in the team and college sports is one of them?

Are all postgame interviews supposed to cease b/c there's an ESPN or NBC or FOX logo on the microphone?

Wow this is stupid.

747986[/snapback]

I agree. The NCAA gets completely gay and anal about things that don't even have a relevance sometimes. If they didn't get money for it, how could it violate anything? Stupid is right.

I agree. The NCAA gets completely gay and anal about things that don't even have a relevance sometimes. If they didn't get money for it, how could it violate anything? Stupid is right.

749004[/snapback]

I'm pretty impressed that in your short post, you were able to work in "gay," "anal,' "violate," and "didn't get any money for it." Sounds like you had a wild weekend H2o.

I'm pretty impressed that in your short post, you were able to work in "gay," "anal,' "violate," and "didn't get any money for it."  Sounds like you had a wild weekend H2o.

749052[/snapback]

Uh-huh, sounds like you're another disgruntled Red Sox fan that's been reading my posts in the Baseball forum. Oh, nevermind. I got it now. You had another flashback episode of one of your previous experiences while you were "smokinandchokin", huh? Put it down cuz and seek therapy. :devil:

Uh-huh, sounds like you're another disgruntled Red Sox fan that's been reading my posts in the Baseball forum. Oh, nevermind. I got it now. You had another flashback episode of one of your previous experiences while you were "smokinandchokin", huh? Put it down cuz and seek therapy. :devil:

749468[/snapback]

Uhh...okay.....moving on then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.