You can't tell me that Dillon didn't fumble

Thailog80

It was a fumble.  The practice squad refs doing the game said the play could not be reviewed though.

Why does the NFL have replay if it cannot be used to correct clearly INCORRECT calls???  What a crock.

54505[/snapback]

I agree it was a fumble. However, how are they supposed to replay that? Ok, they review it and say, "You're right, it was a fumble." However, the whistle blew so players stop going to the ball. How can you determine possession?

It sucks that they made the wrong call (although it was very close on replays -- obviously out, but still close). But they couldn't replay it since you can't determine who would get possession. :blink:

CW

I agree it was a fumble.  However, how are they supposed to replay that?  Ok, they review it and say, "You're right, it was a fumble."  However, the whistle blew so players stop going to the ball.  How can you determine possession?

It sucks that they made the wrong call (although it was very close on replays -- obviously out, but still close).  But they couldn't replay it since you can't determine who would get possession. :(

CW

54551[/snapback]

The ball was stripped and the Bills player had the ball. The refs had to have blown the whistle before Dillon even stopped falling to the ground! This was just a blown call and it bordered on criminal that it was ruled "unchallengable". Another "just give it to them" sort of pro-Patriot stevestojan call. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

In general, maybe they make the down a do-over. Instead of simply telling the lesser team to bend over and smile, they could put the time back on the clock and have them run it again -- and forfeit their paychecks. :blink:

Kudos to ESPN for actually showing that play on Primetime - I didn't think they'd have the stones.

If Dillon had somehow broken that tackle and dove across the goaline, do you think they would've ruled him "down by contact" at the 3? I guarantee they wouldn't have.

On one replay, it appeared as if his knee grazed the turf.  Close call, though.

54632[/snapback]

Ah yes, the same replay angle that showed Sean Jefferson in bounds in 1998.

What about Fletcher's "illegal hit on Brady's shoulder pads"?

What about Given's fumble at the end of the first half that wasn't called? He was down, but was not touched by a Bills player. That drive led to 7 points.

Of course, the one call that went in favor of the Bills makes up for all that :blink:

This loss is well beyond the "what ifs" of the officiating.

54693[/snapback]

Bull!@#$ingshit. The score was 17-17 going into the 4th quarter. It's not like the Pats scored 31 points and then gave up 17 in garbage time. To call missed fumbles meaningless, especially on scoring drives, is beyond homerism; it's idiocy.

Bull!@#$ingshit.  The score was 17-17 going into the 4th quarter.  It's not like the Pats scored 31 points and then gave up 17 in garbage time.  To call missed fumbles meaningless, especially on scoring drives, is beyond homerism; it's idiocy.

54953[/snapback]

Yeah, but you can also say that if Fletcher didn't fumble the ball through the end zone, the Bills would have had the ball inside the Pats 10.

Belichick had already used up his two challenges, so the Pats couldn't review the bad call.

It would have been one of the biggest breaks Buffalo has received since last year's opener, but Fletcher fumbled the freakin' ball.

The point is, you make your breaks, you don't wait for them to be given to you.