Two little things to really dig

One thing to LOVE above Nall is that on 4th and 4 from the four, Fairchild called a draw with an option for the QB to throw a short pass instead. Needing to show the coaches he should start at QB, Nall could have chose the pass option even though the first call was the draw. He handed off, later saying he wanted to give "my man Fred" a chance. And it was a TD. That shows me a lot. You gotta love that from a player.

Surely late in the game, 4th and 4 from the 4 the defense is looking for a pass. But that is a ballsy call from Fairchild even if the game was more than meaningless at that point. Especially because they need to see Nall in a game but they really don't need to see Fred Jackson. If that is what we will see later, you have to love this guy's play-calling. Throughout two games it has been pretty good, mixing up the run and pass.

After the Bills signed Nall, I went back and watched the pre-season game he played for the Packers, against the Bills last year....I know he was playing against our reserves, but what I really liked about Nall was the fact that he just carried himself with some confidence, and seemed very aware on every play....he needed to be, because, if you remember that game, the Bills defense was sending an all-out blitz on nearly every down...Nall didn't finish with huge stats, but he showed very good decision making skills, under a lot of duress...I really want JP to succeed, but Nall really does intrigue me. I know a lot here were bad-mouthing the signing, and referring to Nall as being immobile...what I saw, he looked pretty mobile in the pocket...maybe not young Brett Favre mobile, but good with his feet....made some very tough throws over the middle of the field, that a lot of QB's would have really had a tough time even getting off...

One thing to LOVE above Nall is that on 4th and 4 from the four, Fairchild called a draw with an option for the QB to throw a short pass instead. Needing to show the coaches he should start at QB, Nall could have chose the pass option even though the first call was the draw. He handed off, later saying he wanted to give "my man Fred" a chance. And it was a TD. That shows me a lot. You gotta love that from a player.

Surely late in the game, 4th and 4 from the 4 the defense is looking for a pass. But that is a ballsy call from Fairchild even if the game was more than meaningless at that point. Especially because they need to see Nall in a game but they really don't need to see Fred Jackson. If that is what we will see later, you have to love this guy's play-calling. Throughout two games it has been pretty good, mixing up the run and pass.

747312[/snapback]

From GB's recent history drafting QB's you gotta hope this guy is another gem. After all, he wouldn't have been Favre's backup for all those years. Maybe he can be serviceable for us somehow.

What gems have Green Bay drafted lately?  Bart Starr?

747656[/snapback]

I'm thinking he's commenting on former Packer GM Ron Wolf. As he was the key reason the Packers traded for Brett Favre. He also drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Brooks. I think he also had Kurt Warner in camp with the Packers briefly before he got his chance in St Louis.

747312[/snapback]

And now for the other side of the coin when the play doesn't work....

"WTF was Fairchild thinking running a draw on 4th & 4??? Is he the second coming of Meathead Moolarkey??"

PTR

And now for the other side of the coin when the play doesn't work....

"WTF was Fairchild thinking running a draw on 4th & 4???  Is he the second coming of Meathead Moolarkey??"

PTR

747778[/snapback]

That can be said about every play that doesn't work. Hindsight IS 20/20.

I really liked this series...hell its preseason with the scrubs on the field..we are looking for O-line depth...a little commitment to the run at the goal line even in a non-standard situation is just fine with me..the fourth down play was also a challenge to Nall's decision making as Kelly points out---could Nall read the D and use the option he thought would work--that told me more about him as a QB than a four yard TD pass or an incompletion to a TE or WR would have..

How long has it been since we saw three downs like this in a goal line series even in preseason...

2-3-CIN3 (1:35) F.Jackson right tackle to CIN 3 for no gain (D.Peko).

3-3-CIN3 (1:24) F.Jackson right guard to CIN 4 for -1 yards (D.Peko). CIN-R.Bauman was injured during the play.

4-4-CIN4 (:50) F.Jackson right guard for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

If Gibson was in the game--following a 370lb right guard is never really a bad decision...