Martin Nance

Is he out with an injury or something?  Has he played at all?  (haven't seen or heard any of the games, I have to watch the text version)

747138[/snapback]

I haven't seen him out there or heard anything that would make me believe that he is going to make anything but the practice squad.

Is he out with an injury or something?  Has he played at all?  (haven't seen or heard any of the games, I have to watch the text version)

747138[/snapback]

he has gotten as much playing time as someone who is eighth on the depth chart at his position should get

Nance is a guy who the team has no room for this season. However, the Bills are doing what smart teams do if they like the guy. but feel he's a year or so away from contributing. That is, do not expose him much in pre-season, maybe even cut him in the 1st round of cuts (like they did with Peters 2 years ago) and sign him to the practice squad after he's cleared waivers. The worst thing you can do, if you think the guy can contribute a year or 2 from now is give him enough time in preseason to catch someone else's attention. The only possible problem is that unless they've fully explained the situation to Nance & he feels that his best shot is in Buffalo, Roethlisberger will be lobbying the Steelers to add Nance to their practice squad.

If I guy is cut, and two teams (including the one who cut him) want to sign him to their practice squads, is it up to the player to decide which team he wants to go? Is it essentially a free agent contract?

RTB

747190[/snapback]

Yep, as you may recall a few years ago the Bills cut a CB out of Vandy named Jimmy Williams and tried to get him back on their practice squad but instead choose to sign with the 49ers.

747138[/snapback]

I stated this before. He'll be another MAC receiver that will be cut. Maybe, just maybe, he'll get a practice squad invite. However, Nance wasn't even the best WR in the MAC. Dante Ridgeway from Ball State was. Ridgeway had 90 plus catches and then over 100 catches for Ball State his last two seasons there. Ball State was a brutal team. Ridgeway went in the draft, and was soon cut by Saint Louis, and then by the Jets. MAC WR's do not make it in the NFL. They are usually second tier wideouts that play in a passing league such as the MAC which has had a run of very good QB's (Pennington, Leftwich, Culpepper (at the time CFU was a MAC School, Big Ben, Josh Harris, Omar Jacobs, Gradkowski and more.

The only MAC WR to ever make some noise is obviously Randy Moss. There have been several others, that have been terrific in college, including Ridgeway, who was a Biletnikoff finalist, who never even really sniffed the NFL field.

Nance is a pretender. He's a TBD wet dream created by people who know little about the personnel in Mid American Conference. Let's hope he's a diamond in the rough and can develop on the practice squad. We'll see. Right now, he's another great MAC WR, and one that isn't talented enogh to see the field in the NFL.

I'm hoping that with the lack of PT and looks, Nance flies under the radar and the Bills can stash him on the PS.  I still believe there's something there worth developing and that he just needs a year under his belt.

747228[/snapback]

He may end up on the PS but I doubt he will ever amount to much. Some WR's like Jimmy Smith and Hines Ward take a while to develop into pro WR's but Nance doesn't seem to be that caliber an athlete.

I'm hoping that with the lack of PT and looks, Nance flies under the radar and the Bills can stash him on the PS.  I still believe there's something there worth developing and that he just needs a year under his belt.

747228[/snapback]

Translation: I have never seen Nance play a down. I love the fact that he is tall. I can parrot the Draft Guru write-ups until the end of time. When LaDairis claimed that Nance had poor "adjustment to the ball" skills, I had a hissy, because I did not understand that, and height is really all that matters at WR (just ask Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Derrick Mason etc.) In fact, I am really upset right now that just about everything LaDairis said before Training Camp is proving to be accurate...

1. Kyle Williams isn't much of a downgrade from McCargo if at all

2. Eric King is still awesome at coverage despite being, oh NO, SHORT!!!!

3. George Wilson is better than Nance

4. Ko Simpson and Geisinger look good

LMAO!!!

Yeah, please, someone, once more, tell us just how hard Big Ben lobbied the Steelers to sign undrafted Nance...

Gee coach and GM, can you spare $5k on an undrafted bonus???

Chris Denney made two very nice plays late in the game. It's easy to see why the Bills like him, too, and just as easy to see why he has zero chance at making this team. The Bills are going to cut at least three WRs who can play in this league. That doesn't mean their WR corp is going to be good, but I think they will be fine. Aiken caught the only pass thrown to him. Reed looks shaky still. Davis is pretty erratic but is good on special teams. Evans looks like a stud. Peerless is getting open a lot, he just hasn't had the ball thrown to him a lot.