Can we put the McGahee Bad posts to rest?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willis good.  Preseason is not a time for incumbent backs to shine, although I wouldn't have minded seeing some better runs.  8 for 27 without the big run isn't what I'd like to see, but I'm not worried.

747056[/snapback]

Remind me never to ask you for football advice. 8 for 27 is great. If I was a coach and my running back could get 3 yards everytime he touched the ball (and once in a while break a big one) I would run him 4 downs in a row for 100 yards and score a touchdown everytime. 8 for 27 plus a big run is perfect. I for one am excited and hope he can continue to run this well in the regular season.

Remind me never to ask you for football advice. 8 for 27 is great. If I was a coach and my running back could get 3 yards everytime he touched the ball (and once in a while break a big one) I would run him 4 downs in a row for 100 yards and score a touchdown everytime. 8 for 27 plus a big run is perfect. I for one am excited and hope he can continue to run this well in the regular season.

749267[/snapback]

Ummm . . . how do I put this? In theory what you're saying sounds great. If you knew it was going to be exactly three yards a carry, every single time, you could go for it on 4th and 1 at your own 15. Then you'd go for it again on 4th and 1 at your own 27, and again on your own 39, and again . . . and the defense would never stop even one of those 4th down conversions.

Yup, a running back who gets exactly three yards a carry every single time, absolutely guaranteed, could move the chains in this way. That hypothetical running back has absolutely nothing to do with Willis McGahee, but it's nice to imagine.