How tired is too tired?

Arkady Renko

For the past two years, I have felt tired so much of the time. No matter how much I sleep, it takes me a lot of coffee and other tricks to give me the energy to do what I need to do. I thought it was allergy medication, but now avoiding that doesn't seem to do the trick.

I have mentioned it in passing with a doctor when I have come in for other things, but they seem to ignore it.

I talk to people I know, and I they don't seem to have any advice other than sleep more and exercise, both things that I am doing. The only thing that seemed to happen at the same time of this is that my allergies got real bad, I graduated college, and am taking allergy shots.

I don't want this to seem like whining and it's weird to post this here, but has anyone had this problem before and if so, what was the solution? I am 24, but I feel like I have the energy of an old man at times lately.

You should have your sleep tested -- you could have sleep apnea. I know several people who have been diagnosed and they're given a PAP machine to put over their mouth while they sleep. basically, it ensures you have the proper amount of oxygen while you sleep (and maybe some other stuff that I'm not aware of since I'm not a doctor).

CW

You should have your sleep tested -- you could have sleep apnea.  I know several people who have been diagnosed and they're given a PAP machine to put over their mouth while they sleep.  basically, it ensures you have the proper amount of oxygen while you sleep (and maybe some other stuff that I'm not aware of since I'm not a doctor).

CW

746241[/snapback]

I am pretty thin. Is it still likely?

I am pretty thin. Is it still likely?

746243[/snapback]

Maybe you've created an alternative "self", and what you think is sleep is actually you falling into this other persona. While as, let's call him JohhnyC, you fly around the country creating secret underground clubs where everyone kicks the crap out of each other. In the end the group will fuction as it own entity ruining the infrastructure of the credit industry, bringing everyone back to zero. It's just a thought...maybe they could make this into a movie. <_<

Maybe you've created an alternative "self", and what you think is sleep is actually you falling into this other persona.  While as, let's call him JohhnyC, you fly around the country creating secret underground clubs where everyone kicks the crap out of each other.  In the end the group will fuction as it own entity ruining the infrastructure of the credit industry, bringing everyone back to zero.  It's just a thought...maybe they could make this into a movie.  <_<

746251[/snapback]

I kind of wish it was something cool like that. Unfortunately, there's this woman who's normally sleeping right next to me and I think she would notice.

What makes u say that?

746313[/snapback]

Honestly, that was my first thought too. Depression really hit me when I turned 30, but I realized I had suffered from it on and off for years. I was never really blue... more "blah" than blue.

Do you take on many new activities? I think in my Psych classes they said "initiate autonomous activities." In other words, if you're depressed, you're likely to go with the flow, and maybe take on new things only if someone pushes you that direction.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/depression.cfm#ptdep1

For the past two years, I have felt tired so much of the time. No matter how much I sleep, it takes me a lot of coffee and other tricks to give me the energy to do what I need to do. I thought it was allergy medication, but now avoiding that doesn't seem to do the trick.

I have mentioned it in passing with a doctor when I have come in for other things, but they seem to ignore it.

I talk to people I know, and I they don't seem to have any advice other than sleep more and exercise, both things that I am doing. The only thing that seemed to happen at the same time of this is that my allergies got real bad, I graduated college, and am taking allergy shots.

I don't want this to seem like whining and it's weird to post this here, but has anyone had this problem before and if so, what was the solution? I am 24, but I feel like I have the energy of an old man at times lately.

746234[/snapback]

You're pregnant.

Also think about Lyme disease.

746440[/snapback]

If he had additional symptoms beyond being tired, I would agree with you. My wife currently has Lyme. Add things like joint pain, nausea, dizziness and a whole list of other symtoms.

Assuming you're not having difficult falling asleep or staying asleep, I'd have to agree with previous posters who said you need to rule out obstructive sleep apnea. Although fat people are more likely to suffer from this, thin people can also. One easy question - do you snore? If you sleep with someone, that person can tell you if you snore a lot, and if there are periods where you stop breathing for 20-30 seconds (apnea). If you don't snore, it's very unlikely you have sleep apnea.

Patients with sleep apnea don't realize that they aren't getting quality sleep. They really don't stop breathing, they attempt to breath against an upper airway obstruction and when their oxygen level starts to drop, the body comes to a more awake state in order to relieve that obstruction. So, they never get into a deep sleep and feel chronically sleep deprived even though they think they've slept all night.

That's just one of many causes of fatigue, but its a start.

RTB

FYI: The machine Fez was talking about is a CPAP machine. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. It's a mask that is strapped to the mouth/nose during sleep that supplies pressure and oxygen to the airway. The positive pressure keeps the tissues from collapsing and relieves the obstruction that happens when the muscles and tissue relax during sleep.

If he had additional symptoms beyond being tired, I would agree with you. My wife currently has Lyme. Add things like joint pain, nausea, dizziness and a whole list of other symtoms.

746447[/snapback]

Yeah outside of allergy stuff, I don't have anything besides fatigue. So I think it isn't Lyme disease. Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she's getting through it all right.