It was twenty years ago today...

...Jim Kelly came to town to play.

On August 18, 1986, Kelly signed a contract with the Bills for the outrageous sum of $8 million over 5 years.

Oh yeah, the Bills signed some other USFL reject that day named Kent Hull.

745936[/snapback]

Fug I remember that day completely. I was 9 years old and my dad was estatic, we were riding in his pick up truck on the way to one of my pee-wee football games and he was telling me how great the Bills would become.

On August 18, 1986, Kelly signed a contract with the Bills for the outrageous sum of $8 million over 5 years.

745936[/snapback]

And I believe Jim went 4-12 his first year as a Bills starter. If there was such things as sports talk radio and the Internet back then, I wonder how many Bills fans would have called Kelly a bust?

PTR

Wow that makes me feel old....He came kicking and screaming and now he loves the place

746029[/snapback]

I think his brother or agent slapped him upside his head and told him there was more to gain being a Buffalo booster than detractor.

PTR

To be fair, though, Kelly was good in his first season, the team was just terrible - he finished top ten in completions, yards, and TDs. Just not much in the way of RBs (Robb Riddick) WRs (other than a green Andre Reed) or defense (talented, but not ready)

And I believe Jim went 4-12 his first year as a Bills starter.

746108[/snapback]

He sure did...go look back in Relentless, v.1, and see how games the Bills came close to winning that season...not only were many games frustratingly close, but without offensive or defensive lapses late in several games, 4-12 could have easily become 8-8.

745936[/snapback]

I was recently converting old VHSs to DVDs and came across an old VHS from 1986 which featured Kelly coming to town. It was very cool. The ESPN announcements and all.

Okay, here's a trivia question: who caught his first pass in Buffalo?

Not "Who caught his first pass on the field?" or "Who caught his first pass in practice?"  Who caught the first football he physically threw in Buffalo NY?

746434[/snapback]

Somebody's Momma??? :P

And the next day I bought season tickets. I think Rick Azar or Ed Kilgor caught the pass. It was at the airport.

Remember Kelly is God signs on the ovepasses. I believe he signed at the Statler downtown, not at the stadium.The pre-empted the national news to show kelly's signing live.

I was living in So California, a real beach Gidget and Angels fan....hating football....never realizing that one year later my company would be transferring me to some snowed in place called Buffalo, NY.

I'm soooooo glad.