JP should play one quarter....

Lv-Bills

This should be the last test game, IMO. Give JP the start and let him go with the starters for all drives starting in the first quarter.

Since everyone knows what Holcomb brings to the table, let him sit this game. He's not going to do anything the coaching staff already doesn't know about him.

Nall should get three quarters in his only and final audition. His injury is unfortunate, but he's the only unknown at this point. It's make or break for him. If he bombs, it's JP's team for the majority of snaps the last two games, and then Nall and KH fight it out for the backup spot.

That's how I'd approach this game. This would be my last audition. And I'd find out if Nall is worthy to even be mentioned in the same breath as an NFL starter.

Sorry, but JP needs to get all the reps he possibly can. I'd keep him in the entire 1st half, then come in with Nall in the 2nd and play a bit into the 4th quarter. Then give Holcomb another shot the last 7-10 minutes of the game.

Sorry, but JP needs to get all the reps he possibly can.  I'd keep him in the entire 1st half, then come in with Nall in the 2nd and play a bit into the 4th quarter.  Then give Holcomb another shot the last 7-10 minutes of the game.

745689[/snapback]

Agreed. Nall and KH can get all the reps they need in Q3/Q4 this week, Q4 the following week, and all but the first few series in game 4.

The team is still formulating the offensive playbook. Jauron was commenting that they have various offensive plays they're still trying out. They're adding some in and pulling some out based on the results they're seeing in practice and, to a small extent, the preseason games. By the the end of the third game, I would think they'd have most of the playbook complete with JP at the helm, and then you can get the other guys reps.

If JP comes out and ligths it up in Q1 I'd take him out in Q2 and see what's up with Nall.

It'd be good to get him out on a high note and not give him, or the o-line a chance to mess up any confidence he has or that others have in him.

If he comes out hot he's also in no danger of being surpassed as "front-runner"

At that point we'd need to see if Nall or Holcomb will be #2 (which is still an important question because I think if KH comes out as #3 he'll be gone and either Kingsbury or another #3 from somewhere around the league (Rattay, Koy Detmer)will come aboard.

Then JP comes out in game #3 as the starter, gets a half to 3 quarters of work with the O and whomever stinks worse in game #2 mops up as a last shot type deal.

Game #4 is started by JP who plays 2 series and finished by the winner of Nall/Holcomb. QB #3 only sees the field if it's someone other than CN or KH.

I haven't been to any practices, so I'm only basing my opinion on what I've read & more importantly, what I saw in the 1st PS game, but I think KH NEEDS to play. Not to determine whether or not he should be our starter, but whether or not it's worth keeping him at all as opposed to Klingsbury(sp?).

Likewise, we don't know what we have in Nall, so really ALL QB positions are up for grabs (2nd, 3rd, 'on the street', & to a lessor extent 1st string).

The question is whether we can keep 4 on the roster til after the 4th game when our non-starters will have more opportunity to play. (Traditionally, the 3rd PS game, starters play the most.)

If JP comes out and ligths it up in Q1 I'd take him out in Q2 and see what's up with Nall. 

If JP lights it up, I think we don't care very much about Nall and Holcomb, and would do exclusively what is better for JP.

Since the starters are going to be playing most of the first half, and he didn't get any reps with the starters last week, I would think that 2nd quarter reps with the starters against another team's first unit is the best thing for JP.

Much less important and better left to second half snaps and practice is finding out who get's the clipboard and who gets the water between Nall and KH.

This should be the last test game, IMO.  Give JP the start and let him go with the starters for all drives starting in the first quarter. 

Since everyone knows what Holcomb brings to the table, let him sit this game.  He's not going to do anything the coaching staff already doesn't know about him.

Nall should get three quarters in his only and final audition.  His injury is unfortunate, but he's the only unknown at this point.  It's make or break for him.  If he bombs, it's JP's team for the majority of snaps the last two games, and then Nall and KH fight it out for the backup spot.

That's how I'd approach this game.  This would be my last audition.  And I'd find out if Nall is worthy to even be mentioned in the same breath as an NFL starter.

745687[/snapback]

What is "unknown" about Nall? He is a career 'Clipboard QB'. A modern day Gale Gilbert if you will.

You can actually predict a teams record based on Nall's position on the depth chart.

Starter = 0-2 wins :lol:

Back Up = 2-4 wins :lol:

Third String = 4-6 wins :lol:

Cut = Possible playoff contender :D

:)