AVP and JP

ChicagoRic

Seems to me that Van Pelt's name has come up several times in the last few interviews with Losman. JP has credited AVP with helping his recent development, especially since he was named the "frontrunner".

Is JP just saying nice things to the press, or does the influence of a mentor just a few years removed from the modern game truly have an impact?

Discuss.

Regards,

Eric C

ChicagoRic

I like JP, but he has to start showing something on the field...he had all around "great-guy, QB guru" Sam Wyche guiding him last year...we heard all about their special realtionship...it didn't amount to a lot on the field...maybe AVP has something ol' Sam did not have! Fingers crossed!

To add to the thread, to the original post. To me it just seems rather contrived right now. I'm sure like all other coaches who were former players Van Pelt gives JP some advice, but it just has that feel good effect that we heard about with JP and Sam Wyche. Like Buftex said JP is gonna have to show it on the field. Its nice for pr to hear the good stories, but that just doesnt cut it anymore. Play well or ship out.

I like JP, but he has to start showing something on the field...he had all around "great-guy, QB guru" Sam Wyche guiding him last year...we heard all about their special realtionship...it didn't amount to a lot on the field...maybe AVP has something ol' Sam did not have!  Fingers crossed!

745677[/snapback]

True. I got the same fuzzy feeling when I heard Mould was going to California in the offseason to work on patterns with RJ. Lotta good that did.

True. I got the same fuzzy feeling when I heard Mould was going to California in the offseason to work on patterns with RJ. Lotta good that did.

745683[/snapback]

He never went! I remember that story too...then they were asked about it as camp started and it came out that their schedules never meshed.

I like JP, but he has to start showing something on the field...he had all around "great-guy, QB guru" Sam Wyche guiding him last year...we heard all about their special realtionship...it didn't amount to a lot on the field...maybe AVP has something ol' Sam did not have!  Fingers crossed!

745677[/snapback]

Sam Wyche? Yes he did. But you forgot to add in all the rest of the flippin idiots that were on the coaching staff around him, Mularky splitting the team by just naming JP the starter without really a competition, plus we still had Mike Williams and Bennie Anderson "protecting" our QB. C'mon now, look at the whole picture.

Sam Wyche? Yes he did. But you forgot to add in all the rest of the flippin idiots that were on the coaching staff around him, Mularky splitting the team by just naming JP the starter without really a competition, plus we still had Mike Williams and Bennie Anderson "protecting" our QB. C'mon now, look at the whole picture.

745721[/snapback]

Well, that may be true, but nobody can deny that Losman hasn't been given enough attention...imagine how RJ might have done, if he was allowed to have a special relationship!

a number of players--not just JP--were very vocal about having him around as a person they could approach about a number of issues.

745659[/snapback]

Absolutely, who else would you talk to about chocolate chip cookies or crescent rolls. My God, do you think DJ even CARES if a player can get his biscuits to rise and brown evenly?