Wiretapping ruled unconstitutional

Chilly

Thank you, o Oracle. <_<

747337[/snapback]

You can't say I'm biased. :blink:

You aren't entirely accurate, though. While "moles" are desirable, sigint has it's place - and a very notable one at that. It's certainly the most reliable of intelligence in the military sphere, and I'd wager most of the successes in the GWOT have derived from signals intercept, even when the content of the signals isn't know (last week's fun was apparently spurred by a message traffic pattern that indicated the terrorist operation was imminent, not just being planned.)

Plus...last time the administration acted on human intelligence (i.e. "moles"), we invaded Iraq. Humint is notoriously unreliable...because people are notoriously self-serving, dishonest, and stupid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't say I'm biased.  :blush:

You aren't entirely accurate, though.  While "moles" are desirable, sigint has it's place - and a very notable one at that.  It's certainly the most reliable of intelligence in the military sphere, and I'd wager most of the successes in the GWOT have derived from signals intercept, even when the content of the signals isn't know (last week's fun was apparently spurred by a message traffic pattern that indicated the terrorist operation was imminent, not just being planned.) 

Plus...last time the administration acted on human intelligence (i.e. "moles"), we invaded Iraq.  Humint is notoriously unreliable...because people are notoriously self-serving, dishonest, and stupid.

747489[/snapback]

Of COURSE it has its place but these plots typically take more than 24 hours to conceive, plot and execute. So just because it may be "inconvenient" to wait up to 24 hours, in the grand scheme of things unless the agencies have been snoozing for months, getting the tap (or installing it and then going for the warrantm which is allowed in "emergency" situations) should not be a big deal.

This is your best post ever. :blush:

As Paul would say " Are you wearing your stillitos, tonight?  :lol:

BTW, you still are an ass. 0:)

747579[/snapback]

Paul would say that. In fact my inbox is still full of those queries.

I just bought two new pairs of stilettos in Paul's memory as a matter of fact. O my achin feet. :lol:

Being called at ass by you is a supreme compliment, thanks! :)

You're not, but looky what some conservative cooks found.

749920[/snapback]

Sorry, that's pretty much a non-starter for me. A judge who ruled on the unconstitutionality of warrantless wire-tapping happens to be a trustee of an organization that supports another organization that believes in the unconstitutionality of wire-tapping? That's news?

If the money was flowing the other way (from the ACLU to the organization to the judge), that would be a story. As it is, it just demonstrates that the judge consistently supports a given interpretation of the constitution. It's no different from a hypothetical situation where a judge who donates money to pro-life charities hears an abortion case and rules against Roe v. Wade - something Judicial Watch would no doubt support wholeheartedly.

Sorry, that's pretty much a non-starter for me.  A judge who ruled on the unconstitutionality of warrantless wire-tapping happens to be a trustee of an organization that supports another organization that believes in the unconstitutionality of wire-tapping?  That's news?

If the money was flowing the other way (from the ACLU to the organization to the judge), that would be a story.  As it is, it just demonstrates that the judge consistently supports a given interpretation of the constitution.  It's no different from a hypothetical situation where a judge who donates money to pro-life charities hears an abortion case and rules against Roe v. Wade - something Judicial Watch would no doubt support wholeheartedly.

749992[/snapback]

The main point is not that the ruling may have been tainted, but that the relationship wasn't disclosed giving the appearance of taint. It also supports the view that ACLU venue shopped this trial to get the best outcome.

The main point is not that the ruling may have been tainted, but that the relationship wasn't disclosed giving the appearance of taint.  It also supports the view that ACLU venue shopped this trial to get the best outcome.

750041[/snapback]

I guess thats what appeals are for eh?

The main point is not that the ruling may have been tainted, but that the relationship wasn't disclosed giving the appearance of taint.  It also supports the view that ACLU venue shopped this trial to get the best outcome.

750041[/snapback]

Of course they venue shopped. Everyone venue shops. The only reason it would appear tainted is because your average person is too !@#$ing naive to know how this stuff actually works.

• 1 month later...