Bills-Bengals

Lori

CINCINNATI BENGALS at BUFFALO BILLS

FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2006 – 7:00 PM EDT

RALPH WILSON STADIUM – ORCHARD PARK, NY

TELEVISION (LIVE, CINCINNATI AREA):

Cincinnati (WKRC-TV Local 12), Dayton (WKEF-TV Ch. 22 and WRGT-TV Ch. 45), Columbus (WCMH-TV Ch. 4),

Lexington, KY (WTVQ-TV Ch. 36) and Louisville, KY (WDRB-TV Ch. 41)

PLAY-BY-PLAY: Paul Keels

COLOR ANALYST: Anthony Munoz

TELEVISION (TAPE-DELAY):

NFL Network – AUGUST 19, 1:00 PM EDT

WKBW (Channel 7 – Buffalo) / WHAM (Channel 13 – Rochester) / WTVH (Channel 5 – Syracuse) – AUGUST 19, 8:00 PM EDT

PLAY-BY-PLAY: Gus Johnson

COLOR ANALYST: Steve Tasker

SIDELINE REPORTER: Mike Catalana

RADIO: Buffalo Bills Radio Network

PLAY-BY-PLAY: John Murphy

COLOR ANALYST: Mark Kelso

SIDELINE REPORTER: Paul Peck

SIRIUS SUNDAY DRIVE (Buffalo feed): Channel 123

REGULAR-SEASON SERIES RECORD: Buffalo leads, 13-9. The Bills are 8-3 against Cincinnati at home, including 7-2 at Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

PLAYOFF RECORD: Cincinnati leads, 2-0.

LAST MEETING: December 24, 2005 – Bills 37, Bengals 27

Kelly Holcomb threw for a season-high 308 yards, but the day belonged to Terrence McGee. The Bills CB/KR did something never before accomplished in NFL history -- returning both a kickoff and an interception for touchdowns to help the Bills, double-digit underdogs, pull off the upset before a stunned crowd in Cincinnati.

LAST TIME IN BUFFALO: October 5, 2003 – Bills 22, Bengals 16 (OT)

The Ralph Wilson Stadium windtunnel was open for business on a breezy October afternoon; Rian Lindell’s game-tying FG with 0:28 left in regulation marked the only points scored into the west (scoreboard) endzone. Cincinnati won the coin toss in OT and elected to receive, but a quick three-and-out against the wind gave Buffalo the ball at their own 43. Two Drew Bledsoe completions, the second good for twenty-eight yards to Eric Moulds, put the ball inside the Cincinnati 10. Travis Henry, playing with torn rib cartilage that knocked him out of the Philly game a week before, capped off the drive with a two-yard touchdown run.

The bad news: Moulds suffered a groin injury on the catch in OT, missed the next two games, and wasn’t the same player the rest of the season. Without his favorite target, Bledsoe would throw only one TD pass (vs. six interceptions) in the next six games, and the Bills would finish the season 6-10.

BENGALS OVERVIEW (2005 RANKINGS)

OFFENSE (#6 total yardage, #11 rushing, #5 passing, #4 scoring):

The sixty-four-thousand-dollar question, of course, is the status of Carson Palmer’s rebuilt left knee. Last year, he became the first Bengal signal-caller to lead the league in touchdown passes (and earned what looks like the first of many Pro Bowl selections) before his season ended early in Cincinnati’s playoff loss to the Steelers. If he can return to full strength, the 2005 AFC North champions are likely to repeat last season’s playoff run. If not, the quarterback position becomes a huge question mark; neither Anthony Wright nor Doug Johnson is likely to inspire positive comparisons to Palmer any time soon.

There aren’t many other questions about the potent Bengals offense. Remarkable in the era of free agency, all eleven projected starters return for the third consecutive season. Both Rudi and Chad Johnson are coming off career years, and the offensive line helped set a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed. Backup RB Chris Perry has plenty of speed and better receiving skills than Rudi; he’s had problems staying healthy, though. TE Reggie Kelly and FB Jeremi Johnson get a few touches now and then, but are primarily used as blockers.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh combines with Chad Johnson to form a potent tandem at wideout. And if Chris Henry can stay out of jail – apparently a recurring theme on this squad – Cincinnati could have one of the best three-WR sets in the league. There’s solid depth at the position, with FA signee Antonio Chatman (Packers) joining holdovers Tab Perry and Kelley Washington in the fight for roster spots.

DEFENSE (#28 total yardage, #20 rushing, #26 passing, #22 scoring):

The Bengals beefed up a mediocre run defense – literally – by signing Sam Adams after Buffalo released him in March. Big Sam’s major dispute with the Mularkey regime centered on how he was being used; the coaches wanted him to be a stay-at-home runstuffer instead of trying to shoot gaps and disrupt plays upfield. It will be interesting to see how Marvin Lewis, Adams’ defensive coordinator during Baltimore’s Super Bowl season in 2000, handles the situation.

(We probably won’t see it this Friday; at last report, Sam hasn’t been cleared to practice.)

With Adams lining up next to John Thornton at tackle, Bryan Robinson moves out to end. Former first-round pick and 2005 team sack leader Justin Smith, last season’s starter at LE, flips to the right side. Veterans Robert Geathers (DE) and Shaun Smith (DT) provide depth.

MLB Odell Thurman led the team in tackles last year, but will be sitting out the first month of the season thanks to a league substance-abuse-policy suspension. In his absence, Brian Simmons will move inside, while Landon Johnson fills in at Simmons' normal WLB spot. Last year’s #1 pick, David Pollack, is the projected starter on the strong side. He missed the first preseason game with a sore hamstring, though, so CFL alumnus Rashad Jeanty got the start instead. The team added A.J. Nicholson (FSU) in the regular draft, then selected Ahmad Brooks (Virginia) with a supplemental pick after Thurman’s suspension was announced. Both players have talent, but off-field issues.

Ballhawking CBs Tory James and Deltha O’Neal combined for 15 INTs in 2005, helping the Cincinnati D finish #1 in turnover differential. O’Neal’s 10 pickoffs tied for the league lead and earned him a Pro Bowl berth. Keiwan Ratliff and first-round pick Johnathan Joseph are battling for the nickel position.

The safety positions should improve with the addition of Super Bowl XXXVII MVP Dexter Jackson, plus Madieu Williams’ return from a shoulder injury that cost him all but four games last season.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Once upon a time, kicker Shayne Graham was a street free agent the Bills signed at midseason, then allowed to leave at the end of that year. Now, he’s regarded as one of the most consistent kickers in the league, and is coming off his first trip to the Pro Bowl. P Kyle Larson has a decent leg, but the coverage unit could be better.

Tab Perry will probably be the primary KR again, while either Antonio Chatman or Keiwan Ratliff will handle punt returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTLOOK:

Anthony Wright is obviously no Carson Palmer; indeed, the Bengals will be fortunate if he turns out to be an adequate replacement for Jon Kitna. That said, the Cincinnati offense should still be a decent test for the youngsters on the Buffalo D.

As for the Bills offense, we’ll see how J.P. Losman looks against the starters on a Bengals D that forces a lot of turnovers. I'm also hoping Lionel Gates' ankle is good enough to give him a long look as Willis McGahee's primary backup, and that we begin to see some of the WRs separate themselves from the competition.

See you at the game, and as always, Go Bills.

Links:

Ourlads.com: Bengals depth chart

Official team website: Bengals.com

Kelly Holcomb threw for a season-high 308 yards, but the day belonged to Terrence McGee. The Bills CB/KR did something never before accomplished in NFL history -- returning both a kickoff and an interception for touchdowns to help the Bills, double-digit underdogs, pull off the upset before a stunned crowd in Cincinnati.

And, effed us out of a top pick in the draft! :) bastages couldn't even win right last year.

Thanks as always Lori, you do us a great service!

Another stellar effort Lori - thanks. And if anyone has C-Band satellite info on this braodcast, please post. It's on live local TV in Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Lexington, and Louisville so I'm guessing there's a wild feed on one of the C-Band birds up there.

Any feel for the Marvin Lewis Pre-Season philosophy? Is he a guy who likes to see his starters get a lot of time? Is he looking to come away with a W?

Thanks for the great work-

Any feel for the Marvin Lewis Pre-Season philosophy? Is he a guy who likes to see his starters get a lot of time? Is he looking to come away with a W?

Thanks for the great work-

745722[/snapback]

Goofball called up a flea-flicker last weekend. In a preseason game. :)

From what I saw it looked like the Bengals were selling out for a W.

Who is Gus Johnson?  Anyone?

745943[/snapback]

http://sportsline.com/cbssports/team/gjohnson

Johnson was Tasker's play-by-play guy after CBS split up Tasker and Don Criqui last season. Looks like he's done a little bit of everything in his broadcast career, although mostly hoops.

Something interesting I found while looking up Johnson: Tasker's going to be one of the sideline reporters for this year's Super Bowl. Congrats to Steve....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lewis in preseason: Bengals finished 2-2 last year; haven't had a winning record in preseason since 1988. Here's a quote from one of last week's pressers:

Q: Statistics are showing that the last 10 Super Bowl winners have had roughly a .700 winning percentage in the preseason. The last time that this team had a winning preseason was ’88 when you won the Super Bowl. Does winning in the preseason matter to you?

ML: I like winning all the time, but Indianapolis won a lot of games last year, and they didn’t win one in preseason, did they? And I think you ask me this question every year, so I’m glad that percentage is staying the same. At some point, no one had ever won the Super Bowl the sixth seed. (But Pittsburgh did it last year). So I think all those things are ... that’s why they’re stats, because you just get a chance to break them and do it.

You want to be successful all the time, anytime you go out there. And so the guys are on the field and play their tails off while they’re in the game, and play as hard as they can as long as they’re in there, until their coach pulls them out. Then we move on with the next person we need to look at.

And, effed us out of a top pick in the draft! :devil:  bastages couldn't even win right last year.

745403[/snapback]

After mentioning the Peppers/Mike Williams draft prior to the Panthers game, I was afraid a second straight week of woulda/coulda/shoulda might depress too many people (myself included). :w00t:

But I have to admit that, even though that game probably cost us DaBrick, it was still a welcome Christmas present in this household. See, my stepbrother is a Bengals season-ticket holder who spent most of the pregame and first half calling to trash-talk his father from the stadium in Cincy.

Guess his phone stopped working right about the time McGee hit the end zone on the INT return, though, because we didn't hear from him the rest of the day.... <_<

Call me crazy, but I believe that tonight's game is the most important game of this season for the Bills.

If Losman can have a good outing tonight, he can end this "qb controversy" we could be facing, and hopefully it will silence all of the critics.

Also Dick Jauron can name Losman the starter for the season, and the Bills can move on to other things of importance.

I do'nt care if we win or lose the game, but I want to see Losman make at least two TD scoring drives tonight, and hopefully he passes for them.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

G'Day!

Thanks for all of the info Lori. Great job.

Does anyone know if this game will be available online as streaming video?

I'd love to be able to watch this game down here. It's been years now since I've actually seen a Bills game.

(hint hint Fezmid.)

Cheers

Anybody have any info on a broadcast for non-HD ??

Direct TV had it as scheduled late on Friday, then today, but it ended up being the Eagles both times. I did a search and nothing comes up for Bills until next week's game, shown the 1st tim eon Sunday.

Looks like Game won't be televised until  Tuesday, August 22, 2006 in HD

12 p.m. -- NFL Preseason Game HD - 08/22

NFL Preseason: Cincinnati Bengals vs. Buffalo Bills

12 p.m. -- 8/22 NFL Preseason Game HD (only)

Saturday 08/19 @1PM in the Iggles.

Iggles Game instead

<_<

746613[/snapback]