McCargo

This comment will rankle many of our fans, but the McCargo pick was not one intended to pay great immediate dividends.  I think the Bills hoped (and still hope) that McCargo works himself into the rotation and contributes perhaps 10-15 snaps a game.  He was drafted because of his youth, tremendous athletic ability, and upside at a position difficult to fill.

745302[/snapback]

And you know this exactly how? You are posting your projections as if you discussed this very issue with Marv.

Marv is 81 and traded up to get this kid, at a glaringly thin position. Tell us again how no "immediate results" are expected?

I for one am not at all concerned with McCargo. He has only played in one pre-season game. What should one expect, Joe Greene?

So, I don't know how many were "rankled' by your comment. Amused? Sure. :blink:

And you know this exactly how? You are posting your projections as if you discussed this very issue with Marv.

Marv is 81 and traded up to get this kid, at a glaringly thin position. Tell us again how no "immediate results" are expected?

I for one am not at all concerned with McCargo. He has only played in one pre-season game. What should one expect, Joe Greene?

So, I don't know how many were "rankled' by your comment. Amused? Sure.  :)

745394[/snapback]

I said "I think" -- that, to me, indicates it's my opinion. I didn't even offer any thoughts as to how well or not well McCargo is playing right now. The rankling would come, I presume, from fans (such as yourself) who didn't like the draft pick in the first place.

I said "I think" -- that, to me, indicates it's my opinion.  I didn't even offer any thoughts as to how well or not well McCargo is playing right now.  The rankling would come, I presume, from fans (such as yourself) who didn't like the draft pick in the first place.

745396[/snapback]

Your quote:

>>>>This comment will rankle many of our fans, but the McCargo pick was not one intended to pay great immediate dividends<<<<

Actually, this pick didn't bother me. I didn't like talking Whitner and following up with 2 more early defensive backs, especially after trading away a pick (let alone refusing trade down offers).

Either way, that is old news. We have what we have, and I don't see the need to fret over any of them. They will all get the chance to play and show what they can do.

I also continue to hope that nexy year, the Bills draft players at different positions. Does this pass muster Sarge? :):D

K. Williams played greatr before. but that doesnt take away from McCargo.

even if you think McCargo was drafted high, most had him listed as a high 2nd rounder.

i expect him to play alot in the rotation.

Atleast 90% of drafted players (my own figure :) ) are going to have an adjustment period to adapt to the NFL. This includes 1st rounders, 7th rounders and anything in between. This adjustment period can be anywhere from part of one season , to up to 3 full seasons of play depending on age, position, etc.. The ones that seem to "get it" early are a blessing, but this is not something that can be counted on.

If we had Williams and Lawson he might look good.

745350[/snapback]

Actually, the Bills scouts say that they liked McCargo because they were scouting Williams and Lawson and noticed that McCargo was making as many or more plays than the guys they were looking for. That's when he shot up their charts. And yes, the scouts do look at things like who the offensive line focuses on, and it wasn't because Williams and Lawson were getting double teamed. In fact, by the end of the games, the teams were trying to stop McCargo.

I've had this concern with him since day 1.  McCargo played on a defensive line in college with Marion Williams, who many predict will become one of the greatest pass rushers the game has ever seen.  It's very possible that his college numbers were padded due to the double and probably triple teamst that Williams was drawing.

745389[/snapback]

Williams didn't do much in the last preseason game he played.....

I think McCargo will be fine....I looked at him more as a rotation guy with the signing of Tripplett who would get much better every year.....

I would like to point out that I saw McCargo in on a lot more plays then the other top listed DT's while watching the various games on NFL network....

McCargo will be fine. Also, people have to pay attention to the details of the defensive scheme planned. The rotation of players at DL been mentioned over and over, so that every play can be at 100% effort. I think having Williams exceed expectations doesn't affect the value of McCargo at all. I'm excited to see these guys rotate through. I think our defense is going to surprise a lot of people. Add Spikes back in and get Whitner up to speed, the potentially Ko for Troy if he can earn it, and that's a very talented unit with very few weak spots.

I think the reaction shown by many Bills fans in this thread isgreat!

If one is most concerned about the performance of McCargo as an individual or one is hunting for anything to indict Marv as an old fool then you are concerned.

If one however is focused most of how the Bills team is doing or have much of s sense about how football really works then the lead elements are that 2 other DL players, Williams and Denney are impressing folks and the Bills should be able to field 4 guys and some subs who have impressed folks with their pre-season performance or their career work to date (Denney, Williams, Schobel, Triplett) and subs Anderson, Kelsay and McCargo Ithey are not starter impressive but there are hopes based on factors like their careers in the NFL and the draft regard McCargo recieved.

Overall, i think Bills fans are disappointed that McCargo has no proved to be a stud yet, but they no that sometimes good players can take more than a year to turn it around (Eric Moulds did not impress for a couple of years but deserved hi Pro Bowl nods when he got them). As fans of the team, they are not overly bothered that McCargo has not met our unrealistic hopes that he would become an immediate starter, as later pick Williams has impressed in that regard and Denney is showing more than expected (Denney is an on point example of a Bills DL player who we traded up to get (to the 2nd rather than the 1st) who was so bad he could not even play most of his rookie year.

Yet, the braintrust felt he merited an extension (though you only get one chance to make a first impression and it will take Bruce Smith production to turn the opions of many Bills fans though I sense he is not spectacular but a solid NFL player) and now there are some signs he may deliver quite belatedly on his early expectations.

Not in the least, like others in this thread have pointed out McCargo is raw didnt really play all that much in college and will take some time to develop. The college games I did see McCargo play, and even the past preseason game, when he's sure of himself theres not many people who have the inital explosion he has. I think a lot of people down on McCargo are taking a harsh reaction approach to his development because of the seemingly fast deveolpment of 5th rd pick Kyle Williams. During the preseason game, although he didnt make as many plays as williams I usually noticed McCargo was one of the fastest dl off the snap and into the backfield stringing plays wide, and causing general disruption. Once it clicks for him he's going to be great. I think it was the NC state coach awhile back that said something along the lines that McCargo was faster off the snap of the ball then both Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. I liken McCargo to Broderick Bunkley just not as hyped, and was very happy when we selected him. The results wont be immediate but I believe a year, year and a half from now We'll have ourselves a great dt tandem of McCargo/Williams.

I'm not worried that McCargo lacks ability. I know he does.

I'm not expecting immediate domination. I know it takes time.

I'm not trying to stir the pot about Marv's picks. We all know the man can do no wrong.

My point was simply that it would be reassuring to hear DJ say something more positive about his 1st round pick. And hearing that he got yelled at by PF for a lack of hustle IS a concern that nobody else seems to be bothered by. ???

Most of you seem to be happy to have a 1st round pick work in as a rotation guy on the DL. That's good news for McCargo, but I have to disagree with that. I think we need more than just a rotation guy out of a 1st round pick.

I'm not worried that McCargo lacks ability.  I know he does.

I'm not expecting immediate domination.  I know it takes time.

I'm not trying to stir the pot about Marv's picks.  We all know the man can do no wrong.

My point was simply that it would be reassuring to hear DJ say something more positive about his 1st round pick.  And hearing that he got yelled at by PF for a lack of hustle IS a concern that nobody else seems to be bothered by.  ???

Most of you seem to be happy to have a 1st round pick work in as a rotation guy on the DL.  That's good news for McCargo, but I have to disagree with that.  I think we need more than just a rotation guy out of a 1st round pick.

What do you KNOW of the abilities of say, Mario Williams, Broderick Bunckley, Haloti Ngata, and Manny Lawson, based on their pre-season games and their coaches' comments? :)

Not in the least, like others in this thread have pointed out McCargo is raw didnt really play all that much in college and will take some time to develop.  The college games I did see McCargo play, and even the past preseason game, when he's sure of himself theres not many people who have the inital explosion he has.  I think a lot of people down on McCargo are taking a harsh reaction approach to his development because of the seemingly fast deveolpment of 5th rd pick Kyle Williams.  During the preseason game, although he didnt make as many plays as williams  I usually noticed McCargo  was one of the fastest dl off the snap and into the backfield stringing plays wide, and causing general disruption.  Once it clicks for him  he's going to be great.  I think it was the NC state coach awhile back that said something along the lines that McCargo was faster off the snap of the ball then both Mario Williams and Manny Lawson.  I liken McCargo to Broderick Bunkley just not as hyped, and was very happy when we selected him. The results wont be immediate but I believe a year, year and a half from now We'll have ourselves a great dt tandem of McCargo/Williams.

745584[/snapback]

I think the grave concern being expressed by some fans about the speed (or lack thereof allegedly) of McCargo's development is really a sign of one of the side effects and unintended consequences of ESPN doing wall to wall coverage of the draft, the advent and spread of fantasy football as an entertainment form. the stat psychosis caused by Madden 200x, and the greaty marketing job done by the partnership of thr NFL and NFLPA (or perhaps they should be listed as the NFLPA/NFL since the players are now the majority partner of this collaboration as the most recent CBA gives them a significant majority of all revenues(.

It certainly is the hope that a 1st round choice is going to start his first season if not immediately. However, even the folks who know the draft best are disappointed with the production of half the first round picks (with significant choices like Mike Williams and Harrington turning out to be total bust for the team which drafted them).

The hope that a 1st rounder will start has suddenly become an expectation. Its actually even a silly expectation given that just because a player does not start immediately, at all in his first year or even contribute, does not mean he is a bust (see Moulds or Denney as examples).

It would be downright odd for folks to be worried about this given:

1. it ain't their money do why really worry.

2. It is legitimate however to worry if the team you love now has a whole at a position like DT or on the DL, but given the much better than expected performance of Williams and Denney, the Bills appear better off on the DL than they would have been if the draft had met folks silly expectations of player performance.

Perhaps, folks choose to woory because they judge the first round pick as not meeting their expectatios, but again since the 5th round pick has greatly exceeded expectations at the same position. As far as it goes for a Bills fans it really comes out as a wash and the only real reason be concerned is if it were your money which it isn't.

I suspect McCargo will be fine.  Let's see what happens when he gets a full pre-season under his belt.  I'm going to be SOOOO favorably impressed if he and Kyle Williams work out.  Couple the two of them with the probable success of Whitner and we would have made some real progress on defense.

745323[/snapback]

Oh man I'm drooling here. If Simpson and Youboty turn out to be steals as well, we wil have the foundation of a dominating D for a long time to come. Who knows, maybe even a SB or two.