McCargo

Am I the only one who is getting the sense that McCargo is not wowwing the coaches so far?

Recent comments by Jauron seem to be very tentative in their praise for him. DJ obviously didn't want to be negative but wasn't overly positive either - something to the effect that "he's coming along". I also read today that he's getting yelled at a lot by Kollar, just yesterday for watching the end of a play and not diving on a lose ball.

Yesterday DJ was discussing the sliding of Denney and Tim Anderson over to the right side and praised them by saying (paraphrasing here) "you will not find harder workers than those two". Maybe a backhanded slap at McCargo?

Some of my perception also may be based on all the early praise for Kyle Williams, who was drafted 4 ropunds later than McCargo. But much of that comes from his performance against the Panthers - which reminds me that we didn't hear much from McCargo in the game.

Anyone else picking up the same vibes about McCargo?

I'm not too concerned as of yet... (although i'm still catching up on reading threads from my vacation and have yet to turn on espn or nfl network since training camp opened) The worst thing that can happen is mcargo gets benched and "learns" to be a starter.

Am I the only one who is getting the sense that McCargo is not wowwing the coaches so far?

745285[/snapback]

No concern here. He is a little bit of a project in the works. He came out of school early and is still pretty raw with not a lot of football behind him (injuries). I would expect more contributions from him later in the year. Not exactly what fans want to hear about a first round draft pick, but his upside is huge. He was rated the #3 D-tackle in the draft, and I think will hold true to that and evern surpass it before long.

I'm not too concerned as of yet...  (although i'm still catching up on reading threads from my vacation and have yet to turn on espn or nfl network since training camp opened)  The worst thing that can happen is mcargo gets benched and "learns" to be a starter.

745295[/snapback]

He was never penciled in as the starter, because he plays the same "3" technique that Triplett plays. You could question the Bills for drafting a position they had already filled in FA but McCargo will get his share of the snaps this year and I think he will make his presence felt.

He was never penciled in as the starter, because he plays the same "3" technique that Triplett plays.  You could question the Bills for drafting a position they had already filled in FA but McCargo will get his share of the snaps this year and I think he will make his presence felt.

745299[/snapback]

see, this is why i need to actually SEE a pre season game... I literally tuned on the bills after levy/jauron were signed and watched the sabres. I couldn't tell you any of the current offensive line starters and i only know that shobel is starting on d, right now. I'll be good to go after i can see them again. (when's that damn bengals game?)

Quick answer to your question: no.

This comment will rankle many of our fans, but the McCargo pick was not one intended to pay great immediate dividends. I think the Bills hoped (and still hope) that McCargo works himself into the rotation and contributes perhaps 10-15 snaps a game. He was drafted because of his youth, tremendous athletic ability, and upside at a position difficult to fill.

It is only a good thing that he has to witness the "high motor" guys like Denney, Kelsay, Anderson, and Williams in camp every day.

Quick answer to your question:  no.

This comment will rankle many of our fans, but the McCargo pick was not one intended to pay great immediate dividends.  I think the Bills hoped (and still hope) that McCargo works himself into the rotation and contributes perhaps 10-15 snaps a game.  He was drafted because of his youth, tremendous athletic ability, and upside at a position difficult to fill.

It is only a good thing that he has to witness the "high motor" guys like Denney, Kelsay, Anderson, and Williams in camp every day.

745302[/snapback]

as a side note, i do love the fact that the term "high motor guy" has turned into an acceptable racial slur against white football players.

as a side note, i do love the fact that the term "high motor guy" has turned into an acceptable racial slur against white football players.

745304[/snapback]

I would consider it a back handed compliment more than a racial slur... :blink:

Quick answer to your question:  no.

This comment will rankle many of our fans, but the McCargo pick was not one intended to pay great immediate dividends.  I think the Bills hoped (and still hope) that McCargo works himself into the rotation and contributes perhaps 10-15 snaps a game.  He was drafted because of his youth, tremendous athletic ability, and upside at a position difficult to fill.

745302[/snapback]

What he said ^

745304[/snapback]

Thought better of it huh? I delete at least 25% of the sh-- I post. Too reactionary sometimes. (damn Yankee fans) :blink:

Go Sox! (that's for Pete)

McCargo looked pretty good throughout the first preseason game, though was a step late on a few plays. He looked strong and like he was making the right decisions and was trying hard. I think a little time to acclimate and get up to NFL speed and he will emerge as a solid player. I expect him to be one of our top DTs this year.

McCargo did have a great play in the PS game that I've not heard anyone mention on TSW yet. Glancing at the Play by Play I think it was at 7:27 of the 2nd period, 1st and 10 at the Carolina 6 yard line. McCargo pushed between two linemen, overpowering them, and got quick pressure on the QB standing a yard in the endzone. The QB was forced to throw the ball short of his receiver on the right side, one of the few times the Carolina QB skipped a ball to their receivers all night.

I think no one has mentioned this because the announcers did not even acknowledge the pressure and there was not a single clear shot of McCargo's number on the play, but I am sure it was him. He followed up with a decent play the next play, which is when they started to focus on Kyle Williams.

I suspect McCargo will be fine. Let's see what happens when he gets a full pre-season under his belt. I'm going to be SOOOO favorably impressed if he and Kyle Williams work out. Couple the two of them with the probable success of Whitner and we would have made some real progress on defense.

Recent comments by Jauron seem to be very tentative in their praise for him.  DJ obviously didn't want to be negative but wasn't overly positive either - something to the effect that "he's coming along".  I also read today that he's getting yelled at a lot by Kollar, just yesterday for watching the end of a play and not diving on a lose ball.

Yesterday DJ was discussing the sliding of Denney and Tim Anderson over to the right side and praised them by saying (paraphrasing here) "you will not find harder workers than those two".  Maybe a backhanded slap at McCargo?

Some of my perception also may be based on all the early praise for Kyle Williams, who was drafted 4 ropunds later than McCargo.  But much of that comes from his performance against the Panthers - which reminds me that we didn't hear much from McCargo in the game.

Anyone else picking up the same vibes about McCargo?

745285[/snapback]

I've had this concern with him since day 1. McCargo played on a defensive line in college with Marion Williams, who many predict will become one of the greatest pass rushers the game has ever seen. It's very possible that his college numbers were padded due to the double and probably triple teamst that Williams was drawing.