If the Jets are hurting for a RB so badly

ACor58

for either a player that can help us now or a late round draft pick next year.

744802[/snapback]

I asked myself this morning. Only thing I can think of is that they are inter-division rival and we don't want to help them.

Because they aren't worth crap on the NFL market.  We'd get more value out of them being a backup.

744804[/snapback]

We are probably going to cut one of them. If the Jets were willing to trade for Lee Suggs, who has not played a full season in 3 yrs, why wouldn't they look at Thomas, who is a proven 1000 yd runner or Gates, who is young and has upside.

We are probably going to cut one of them. If the Jets were willing to trade for Lee Suggs, who has not played a full season in 3 yrs, why wouldn't they look at Thomas, who is a proven 1000 yd runner or Gates, who is young and has upside.

744814[/snapback]

Suggs has a lot more upside then Gates or A-train at this point in their careers.

744814[/snapback]

If they wanted Thomas, they could have had him 3 months ago before he signed with the Bills. As far as Gates having upside, before he was on ESPN's plays of the week(or whatever the F it is called), I didn't hear many people talking about his "upside".

Suggs has a lot more upside then Gates or A-train at this point in their careers.

Uh, no. The fact that Suggs hasn't played an injury-free season YET in his 3 years in the NFL, and just failed a physical, tell me that his upside is mostly downside. Gates OTOH being just a 2nd year player has FAR more upside. A-Train I'd say has as much value as Suggs and he's only 2 years older.

Uh, no.  The fact that Suggs hasn't played an injury-free season YET in his 3 years in the NFL, and just failed a physical, tell me that his upside is mostly downside.  Gates OTOH being just a 2nd year player has FAR more upside.  A-Train I'd say has as much value as Suggs and he's only 2 years older.

744886[/snapback]

Taking the physical into account is looking at it in hindsight with 20/20 vision in regards to the trade. I would agree with you if I looking at it from a context other then the Jets trade.

Before that, Suggs HAD been injured, but it wasn't known by the Jets that he would fail a physical, and in their position, he had more upside then Gates or A-Train. The risk is that he was oft-injured and might not ever reach it. However, in college, Suggs proved that he could be a very good starting running back.

High risk, high reward, yet at the same time still low cost. If he fails to live up to his pre-injury status its no big deal.

Gates and A-train both don't fit what the Jets were looking for, and the Jets most likely wouldn't give the Bills much, if anything, for either one, seeing as how one of them is going to be cut in all likelyhood.

If they wanted Thomas, they could have had him 3 months ago before he signed with the Bills.  As far as Gates having upside, before he was on ESPN's plays of the week(or whatever the F it is called), I didn't hear many people talking about his "upside".

744870[/snapback]

Curtis Martin was supposed to be ready for training camp three months ago. All I am saying is that if I were the Jets I would be interested in trading for one of them.

I also think that a lot of people on this board saw potential in Gates as a physical inside runner with upside when we drafted him last year.

Gates and A-train both don't fit what the Jets were looking for, and the Jets most likely wouldn't give the Bills much, if anything, for either one, seeing as how one of them is going to be cut in all likelyhood.

744900[/snapback]

I think it will actually be Shaud Williams that is but at the end of camp. The Bills aren't going to cut Lionel Gates and Anthony Thomas is a larger back than Shaus Williams. There is no reason to keep Shaud around this season. For one he can't run up the middle to save his life and his only usefulness comes on third down when Kelly Holcomb dumps it off to him and he picks up five yards instead of ten.

The whole idea that the Bills would trade either one of these guys is stupid because it won't help your team either way. If you trade them A-Train for lets say a draft pick; if A-Train has a career season within your division and in which case he runs up a 400 yard tab agianst your team when he plays them twice a year, then is the draft pick really worth it. The Bills would never trade Gates because I think that he is going to be like Derrick Holmes was in the mid 90's, very reliable and can make a play when needed.

So it's time that everybody forget that the Jets are looking for running back, because we don't want to help them. Stop trying to fix all of our problems in one year as though this was a video game in which very much resembles how Donahoe tried to run this organization. We don't want to help anybody and we don't want to receive help from anybody. This is not Madden, it is reality, so stop with the stupidity.

Let it go people, let it go.

That was not all aimed at BlueFire.

Taking the physical into account is looking at it in hindsight with 20/20 vision in regards to the trade.  I would agree with you if I looking at it from a context other then the Jets trade.

Before that, Suggs HAD been injured, but it wasn't known by the Jets that he would fail a physical, and in their position, he had more upside then Gates or A-Train.  The risk is that he was oft-injured and might not ever reach it.  However, in college, Suggs proved that he could be a very good starting running back.

High risk, high reward, yet at the same time still low cost.  If he fails to live up to his pre-injury status its no big deal.

I still say that A-Train has/had more promise than Suggs, even before Suggs' failed physical. A-Train's 2nd best season is better than Suggs' career stats, and with the Bears, he averaged a little less than 81 yards a start.

Why the Jets didn't do ANYTHING, even though Curtis Martin was urging them to draft a RB, is anyone's guess! This was an unexpected blow to a season that already wasn't going to be a good one.

I still say that A-Train has/had more promise than Suggs, even before Suggs' failed physical.  A-Train's 2nd best season is better than Suggs' career stats, and with the Bears, he averaged a little less than 81 yards a start. 

Why the Jets didn't do ANYTHING, even though Curtis Martin was urging them to draft a RB, is anyone's guess!  This was an unexpected blow to a season that already wasn't going to be a good one.

745093[/snapback]

Seriously. stupid move by them lol

for either a player that can help us now or a late round draft pick next year.

744802[/snapback]

I doubt you could get 2 pencils and a rubber band for A-Train. He'll struggle to make the Bills, just watch over the next couple weeks. Gates on the other hand is a talent that the Bills won't let go. If he's healthy, expect him to be #2 and get some playing time during the year. Willis right now has to look over his shoulder at this guy. Not based on 1 pre-season game, but based on all he's done in the offseason and thus far in camp and in the game Saturday. Really.

Being a Jet fan, here is my perspective:

You can't knock the Jets for the drafting of both Brick and Mangold. That was a great move to help solidify a really lousy offensive line. Gates or Thomas are no better than what the Jets have now. Blaylock, Cedric Houston, and Leon Washington have more upside than Thomas does, and are pretty much right on the same level of talent that Gates is.

Suggs had a really big upside if he could stay healthy, and I'm sure that's why they pulled the trigger. Obviously, he couldn't and now it doesn't matter.

At this point, I see them going into the season with this group of backs, and when Martin is able to come back, if he can come back, he will split time with a couple of them.

Looking at the RBs out there that could be available, there isn't much to choose from. Michael Turner would have been nice, but now with Sproles hurt, there is no chance of that. Chris Brown or Travis Henry are injury prone and have attitude problems, and wouldn't be worth the draft picks. Again, the same with Chicago's backs. The only feasable trade would really be someone like T.J. Duckett. They could ship off Justin McCareins who has slipped to #3 or 4 on the depth chart and a mid round pick, and even that is a big stretch.

Facing reality, the Jets are at best, AT BEST, a 7-9 team. That is only if they can get some consistant and healthy play at the QB position. They will struggle with the run defense in their new 3-4 style, with not having a real NT. However, I think their linebackers will help make up for this, and their secondary will be better than people give them credit for. Overall, their defense will keep them in every game they play, but it will be their inability to hold the ball offensively that will hurt them (i.e. the Baltimore Ravens.) I think they will win 4-6 games.