Tom Petty / Allman Bros. at Darien Lake

Lurker

I went to see Gregg & the boys last night, who I try to catch every summer. I didn't know what to expect from TPH, since I'd never caught them live before...but what the hell, it couldn't hurt. :~)

Boy, did my expectations get exceeded. Tom & the Heartbreakers put on one of the best shows I've ever seen at Darien Lake, or anywhere for that matter.

I've always been casually impressed with Petty's hits but I didn't realize just how good lead guitarist Mike Campbell was. He really rocked harder than I expected. Teriffic stage too...very simple, but visually interesting with a lot of video.

Set List:

Listen to Her Heart

Mary Jane

Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

Saving Grace

I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Willie Dixon tune...Stones famous remake in '64)

Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac tune from '68)

You Don't Know How It Feels

Handle With Care (Travelling Wilburys tune)

Band Intros

Good To Be King

Cabin Down Below

Too Much Monkey Bussiness (Chuck Berry cover, made famous by Cream/the Yardbirds)

Square One

Learnin' To Fly

Don't Come Around Here No More

Refugee

American Girl

Encore:

Runnin' Down A Dream

Mystic Eyes (Van Morrison cover)

You Wreck Me

As to the "opener," the highlight was the best live version of Jessica I've ever heard from the Allmans. Derek was just sensational and Warren was his usual steller self. It's a hoot how Gregg's become such an elder statesman/icon after so many years.

The downside was watching a large croud of 50-somethings shake, rattle and roll in the aisles like they were 20 years younger--not a pretty sight!

Buffalo News Review

I went to see Gregg & the boys last night, who I try to catch every summer.  I didn't know what to expect from TPH, since I'd never caught them live before...but what the hell, it couldn't hurt. :~)

Boy, did my expectations get exceeded.  Tom & the Heartbreakers put on one of the best shows I've ever seen at Darien Lake, or anywhere for that matter. 

I've always been casually impressed with Petty's hits but I didn't realize just how good lead guitarist Mike Campbell was.  He really rocked harder than I expected.  Teriffic stage too...very simple, but visually interesting with a lot of video.

As to the "opener," the highlight was the best live version of Jessica I've ever heard from the Allmans.  Derek was just sensational and Warren was his usual steller self.  It's a hoot how Gregg's become such an elder statesman/icon after so many years.

The downside was watching a large croud of 50-somethings shake, rattle and roll in the aisles like they were 20 years younger--not a pretty sight! 

Buffalo News Review

744611[/snapback]

The first time I saw Petty was many years ago. I went with pretty much the same attitude you did: "They're ok". I walked out the same way you did. In awe. I went and bought all of their records the next day.

I think their music (with a brief techn clunker being an exception) has gotten better and better over time. I haven't been to a concert in a while but they are one I'd see.

I went to see Gregg & the boys last night, who I try to catch every summer.  I didn't know what to expect from TPH, since I'd never caught them live before...but what the hell, it couldn't hurt. :~)

Boy, did my expectations get exceeded.  Tom & the Heartbreakers put on one of the best shows I've ever seen at Darien Lake, or anywhere for that matter. 

I've always been casually impressed with Petty's hits but I didn't realize just how good lead guitarist Mike Campbell was.  He really rocked harder than I expected.  Teriffic stage too...very simple, but visually interesting with a lot of video.

As to the "opener," the highlight was the best live version of Jessica I've ever heard from the Allmans.  Derek was just sensational and Warren was his usual steller self.  It's a hoot how Gregg's become such an elder statesman/icon after so many years.

Buffalo News Review

744611[/snapback]

My girlfriend is dragging me out to see Tom Petty at this year's Austin City Limits fest.

I hope so, I've never really liked his music though, which is why I'm skeptical.

744635[/snapback]

Don't be. These guys are great musicians. They did some killer covers of their early "influences" and I swear to God they sounded as good or better than the originals.

Don't be.  These guys are great musicians.  They did some killer covers of their early "influences" and I swear to God they sounded as good or better than the originals.

744643[/snapback]

Cool.

Yeah, the live experience is tremendoulsy different for sure.

I guess I developed a dislike for him when growing up, having my parents force me to listen to some local "classic" rock stations (more general rock n' roll), I heard Free Falling so much I wanted to break the radio.

Saw the Allmans play Nissan outside DC this summer, they kicked much ass. Derek Trucks Band was hot too.

Saw Petty backing up Dylan at Rich, RFK 2x, & Philly Spectrum 2x in 1986, after that I do not need to see him again in my lifetime.

i too had the same experience except that I did not like tom petty. but the georgia sattelites and another band were playing at darien lake. I was absolutely blown away by tom petty and the heartbreakers!!!

The first time I saw Petty was many years ago.  I went with pretty much the same attitude you did:  "They're ok".  I walked out the same way you did.  In awe.  I went and bought all of their records the next day. 

I think their music (with a brief techn clunker being an exception) has gotten better and better over time.  I haven't been to a concert in a while but they are one I'd see.

744620[/snapback]

Saw Petty backing up Dylan at Rich, RFK 2x, & Philly Spectrum 2x in 1986, after that I do not need to see him again in my lifetime.

744649[/snapback]

TP mentioned this is their 30th year together and the whole show had a real emotional spark to it, like they know they're close to leaving the road for good. I gotta believe they're putting on a better show today than back in '86, simply because they seem to be really enjoying the moment.

I read where that this might be the their last major tour, but with fan response like last night I suspect there's still some tread on the tires.

Allman fans who haven't already should make sure to check out the Derek Trucks Band. They are pretty sick. I just saw Haynes and his side project, Gov't Mule, at the end of July here in Buffalo. Always solid. I have seen the ABB eight times, and I enjoy Petty, but I couldn't make it to the show last night due to softball playoffs. :rolleyes: At least we won...

I have tix for Sept 28th and 29th to see Clapton in Madison Square Garden...Trucks is playing slide guitar on his fall tour. With the Bills home opener on the 24th, my anticipation and restlessness for that week is getting more and more rediculous by the day!

Set List:

Listen to Her Heart

Mary Jane

Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

Saving Grace

I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Willie Dixon tune...Stones famous remake in '64)

Oh Well  (Fleetwood Mac tune from '68)

Handle With Care (Travelling Wilburys tune)

Band Intros

Good To Be King

Cabin Down Below

Too Much Monkey Bussiness (Chuck Berry cover, made famous by Cream/the Yardbirds)

Square One

Learnin' To Fly

Don't Come Around Here No More

Refugee

American Girl

Encore:

Runnin' Down A Dream

Mystic Eyes  (Van Morrison cover)

You Wreck Me

Buffalo News Review

744611[/snapback]

I saw Petty and the Bros. on Sunday at SPAC (which is the most shittiest venue I've ever been to for a concert). Great show Tom Petty brings out the most diverse group of peeps I have ever seen at any concert, that's for sure. Petty did some Willburys at the show I went to also. Sang a Yard Birds tune and all was good.

Saw him and the boys at the War Memorial in Rochester during the Wildflowers tour in 1995. I love the net because it has every setlist known to man:

Love Is A Long Road

Listen To Her Heart

I Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

You Wreck Me

Diamond Head

piano Intro/Mary Jane's Last Dance

Into The Great Wide Open

Learning To Fly

Time To Move On

Girl On LSD

I Just Wanna Make Love To You

Wildflowers

Yer So Bad

It's Good To Be King

Driving Down To Georgia

Refugee

Runnin' Down A Dream

Honey Bee

American Girl

Alright For Now

I loved Into The Great Wide Open. "The papers said Ed always played from the heart / He got an agent and a roadie named Bart / They made a record and it went in the chart / The sky was the limit..." Must have taken him awhile to come up with that second line. :blink:

I saw Petty and the Bros. on Sunday at SPAC (which is the most shittiest venue I've ever been to for a concert). 

744872[/snapback]

What??? I've heard many, many people say this is the best place to see a show. I've NEVER heard anyone say it was the worst. I've seen probably 10-15 shows at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, for those questioning) and I thought it was a FANTASTIC place to watch a concert. The amphitheater is cut out of the middle of the woods, great sound, great backdrop....What didn't you like?

Exactly the same as me. I didn't think much of petty until I saw him live at Silver Stadium here in the late 80s. I still remember being blown away by that show.

The first time I saw Petty was many years ago.  I went with pretty much the same attitude you did:  "They're ok".  I walked out the same way you did.  In awe.  I went and bought all of their records the next day. 

I think their music (with a brief techn clunker being an exception) has gotten better and better over time.  I haven't been to a concert in a while but they are one I'd see.

744620[/snapback]

What???  I've heard many, many people say this is the best place to see a show.  I've NEVER heard anyone say it was the worst.  I've seen probably 10-15 shows at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, for those questioning) and I thought it was a FANTASTIC place to watch a concert.  The amphitheater is cut out of the middle of the woods, great sound, great backdrop....What didn't you like?

744913[/snapback]

The fact that it's not big enough. They oversell every single show I've been to there. They paved right down the middle of the lawn in two spots which took away from the general addmission seating. Also a couple years ago they put in all the beer and vendors to close to the lawn so it's a huge cluster !@#$ at the top of the hill. Also at the fence (in general) there is a dip 15 to 20 feet behind a\the fence which is pretty much a waste of space for concert goers in that area cause you can't see anything in front of you. Security booted a couple of kids for standing on their chairs in the back row. And not to mention I saw people getting arrested for drugs at the gate (busted by a dog). Yes a drug sniffing dog at a fuggin concert. IMO Darien Lake is 100 times better than SPAC.