Food Report

stuckincincy

Seeing the tv ads for Oscar Mayer's "Fast Franks - Hot Dogs in a Bun", I bought some.

$3.19 for a pack of three, and my Sunday paper had a 65-cent coupon. You have to keep them refridgerated.

The package had a Choking Warning: "For children under 6, cut hot dogs lengthwise and crosswise into small bite-sized pieces. Children shound always be seated and supervised while eating". It's tough to be a kid these days... :(

You remove the plastic from the paper tray, and the dog itself is in a plastic sheath that has to be removed.

The paper tray has that silvery film on the inside surface. Directions said 30 - 35 seconds on high; I used 40 seconds.

The dog is of a larger diameter than the norm. The bun did not get hard, but was warm.

I rate them better than a frank served at a ballpark, but obviously inferior to a grilled item.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The package had a Choking Warning: "For children under 6, cut hot dogs lengthwise and crosswise into small bite-sized pieces. Children shound always be seated and supervised while eating".  It's tough to be a kid these days... :(

You remove the plastic from the paper tray, and the dog itself is in a plastic sheath that has to be removed.

743696[/snapback]

Survival of the fittest I say. If a kid can't handle a hot dog what's he gonna do when confronted with a rampaging rhino, or cornered by a hungry gator?

BTW, IMHO, this belongs on the fast food consumer products that I'll never buy forum. :ph34r:

"For children under 6, cut hot dogs lengthwise and crosswise into small bite-sized pieces. Children shound always be seated and supervised while eating". 

743696[/snapback]

Still not as good as the all-time stupidest warning. On a box of Pop-Tarts: "Caution. Pastries may be hot when heated."

Reading warnings these days, it makes one wonder how any of us made it to adulthood.

Still not as good as the all-time stupidest warning.  On a box of Pop-Tarts: "Caution.  Pastries may be hot when heated."

Reading warnings these days, it makes one wonder how any of us made it to adulthood.

743732[/snapback]

Brian Regan has a bit on Pop-Tarts. I've never read the directions, but according to him you can microwave a pop-tart, in 3 seconds.

3 friggin seconds. How long does it take to just toast the damn thing?

Brian Regan has a bit on Pop-Tarts.  I've never read the directions, but according to him you can microwave a pop-tart, in 3 seconds.

3 friggin seconds.  How long does it take to just toast the damn thing?

743743[/snapback]

Well technically you can microwave anything in 3 seconds, it just depends on how awful you want it to taste after 3 seconds :(

Well technically you can microwave anything in 3 seconds, it just depends on how awful you want it to taste after 3 seconds  :(

743745[/snapback]

What does it say about our society when a thread about microwavable hotdogs w/buns gets more replies than a story about a breast implant saving a woman's life?

BTW--what condiment on your hotdog? Anyone ever heard of chow-chow or is that strictly a Texas thingy?

What does it say about our society when a thread about microwavable hotdogs w/buns gets more replies than a story about a breast implant saving a woman's life?

BTW--what condiment on your hotdog?  Anyone ever heard of chow-chow or is that strictly a Texas thingy?

743747[/snapback]

Never heard of chow chow....and being a bachelor means the microwavable hotdog has a much greater impact on my life. While the lifesaving story is nice, it won't do me much good at 3am on a saturday!

Never heard of chow chow....and being a bachelor means the microwavable hotdog has a much greater impact on my life.  While the lifesaving story is nice, it won't do me much good at 3am on a saturday!

743749[/snapback]

It would if you were dating a24 year old Israeli stripper and had a late night hibbity jibbity going on when a bomb exploded......get real, it is very important to know!

It would if you were dating a24 year old Israeli stripper and had a late night hibbity jibbity going on when a bomb exploded......get real, it is very important to know!

743751[/snapback]

Yea but the odds of that happening to me TWICE in my lifetime...

I microwave my hotdogs already, and I just get the cheap ones.

Why the hell did they make new hotdogs that can be microwaved?

743757[/snapback]

These include the bun, but being a batchelor you don't need no stinkin buns do you?

I'll bet you just reach into your fridge and grab a slice of Wonder Bread, scrape off the mold and enjoy. :(

These include the bun, but being a batchelor you don't need no stinkin buns do you?

I'll bet you just reach into your fridge and grab a slice of Wonder Bread, scrape off the mold and enjoy. :(

743766[/snapback]

Damn straight!

Why would you want the bun microwaved anyway?

Brian Regan has a bit on Pop-Tarts.  I've never read the directions, but according to him you can microwave a pop-tart, in 3 seconds.

3 friggin seconds.  How long does it take to just toast the damn thing?

743743[/snapback]

A bit longer. The instructions for toasting a Pop-Tart are actually a bit involved: "Remove pastry from outer sleeve. Place pastry in toaster vertically" - that last point seems to be stressed for some reason - "toast on LOW setting. Remove from toaster when toasted. Caution: Pastry may be hot when heated."

A bit longer.  The instructions for toasting a Pop-Tart are actually a bit involved: "Remove pastry from outer sleeve.  Place pastry in toaster vertically" - that last point seems to be stressed for some reason - "toast on LOW setting.  Remove from toaster when toasted.  Caution: Pastry may be hot when heated."

743779[/snapback]

I think I'm just gonna leave my pop-tart in the toaster, and eat the toaster with the pop-tart in it. :(

I think I'm just gonna leave my pop-tart in the toaster, and eat the toaster with the pop-tart in it.  :(

743782[/snapback]

I'm thinking i'll just set my oven to broil, then put the whole box in there. That way I can get em all with one shot.

here is a tip from yours tuly. Buy a pack of hotdogs at walmart for $.68 for 8, buy a pack of buns for $.89. Go home, take a hot dog, place it in a bun, wrap assembled hot dog and bun in paper towel or napikan. Microwave on high for 1:00 minute. Remove..voila, fast hotdog from the microwave, less than $.20 for the whole thing

Seeing the tv ads for Oscar Mayer's "Fast Franks - Hot Dogs in a Bun",  I bought some.

$3.19 for a pack of three, and my Sunday paper had a 65-cent coupon. You have to keep them refridgerated.

The package had a Choking Warning: "For children under 6, cut hot dogs lengthwise and crosswise into small bite-sized pieces. Children shound always be seated and supervised while eating".  It's tough to be a kid these days... :(

The paper tray has that silvery film on the inside surface. Directions said 30 - 35 seconds on high; I used 40 seconds.

The dog is of a larger diameter than the norm.  The bun did not get hard, but was warm.

I rate them better than a frank served at a ballpark, but obviously inferior to a grilled item.

743696[/snapback]

I'm thinking i'll just set my oven to broil, then put the whole box in there.  That way I can get em all with one shot.

743791[/snapback]

That's okay...as long as you take them out of the foil sleeves first and then put them back in the box.

Make sure you put them in the broiler vertically, too...I can't stress that enough.