Another Post About Williams...

Like everyone else, I was VERY impressed with Williams. Both the effort and technique that he showed in his very first game left me with a feeling that this kid is going to be a player. It also left me wondering as to how this kid lasted until the 5th round.

Looking back at other round 5 selections for the Bills, the last guy that I felt this good about was Holocek, selected in 1995 (a wonderful draft were it not for injuries). You just knew that the kid could play football.

Fwiw, Reyes was also a 5th. I make the case that teams need productive late round picks to compete, especially given the nature of the salary cap.

In any event, it is going to be great to watch this kid progress.

Here's to the hope that he keeps us amazed that he lasted so long on the board in April. :(

Like everyone else, I was VERY impressed with Williams. Both the effort and technique that he showed in his very first game left me with a feeling that this kid is going to be a player. It also left me wondering as to how this kid lasted until the 5th round.

Looking back at other round 5 selections for the Bills, the last guy that I felt this good about was Holocek, selected in 1995 (a wonderful draft were it not for injuries). You just knew that the kid could play football.

Fwiw, Reyes was also a 5th. I make the case that teams need productive late round picks to compete, especially given the nature of the salary cap.

In any event, it is going to be great to watch this kid progress.

Here's to the hope that he keeps us amazed that he lasted so long on the board in April.  :(

743573[/snapback]

I watched tape from the 1st quarter last night when I had a bout of insomnia. There was one play, a third and 2, where he was double teamed which created a gap that Bowen charged through. One of the guys on Williams tried to slide over to get a piece of Bowen which created another gap between the two blockers and Williams squeezed through that one. He and Bowen then combined to take the RB down for a loss killing that drive. It was actually a good example of what can happen when one DL occupies two OL. It wouldn't have played out that way if Bowen hadn't have been in position due to the defensive call and if he hadn't spotted the gap and fired through. It also wouldn't have worked if Williams hadn't split those blockers the instant that second gap opened ever so slightly. It was a nice play all around.