World Trade Center-Awesome Movie

SD Jarhead

Took the wife out on a date night last Friday and she wanted to go see WTC. I told her I didn't want to see it because I didn't want her all depressed after the flick, and she wouldn't want to give me some. She told me she'd be fine, so off we went.

I'm not an Oliver Stone fan, but I've got to say this is a must see movie. It is a-political and simply tells an amazing story about the event and how two incredibly brave police were rescued. After sitting through "Talledega Nights" and leaving a few IQ points dumber, it was refreshing to see a movie like this.

I think every American who thinks we can go back to life the way it was pre-9/11 by just being nice to the Islamo-fascists needs to see this as a stark reminder of why we find ourselves in the world we're in today.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

Sorry, won't go see it based on principal, I've said it before, unless every dime is donated to a 9/11 charity so the movie and actors apart of it make no profit, I won't go see it. It was a tragic event that happened too recently to be trying to turn a profit off of. I'm sure most Americans know all about this event and there was no need for a film yet to give us another view of what happened. Years from now when a new generation is growing up only knowing what they read in history books about that day is here, then a film like that will be something worth watching.

And you did not like Talledega nights?

After sitting through "Talledega Nights" and leaving a few IQ points dumber, it was refreshing to see a movie like this.

743148[/snapback]

I'm finding that about a lot of Will Ferrel movies. Watched "Anchorman" last week and while it had a few moments of comedy, it was mostly gibberish and crap writing & acting. The funniest parts were in the previews; I think the same thing could be said about T-Nights. I just fail to see how execs think WF can carry a movie for 2 hours by shouting and jumping around.

Haven't seen WTC. I don't watch movies in the theatre; and I've watched fewer and fewer American movies b/c they're sh--. But if I were to go to the theatre, WTC and "A Prairie Home Companion" (an all-star cast in this gem; I'll wait for DVD) have been two recent movies I would consider.

Sorry, won't go see it based on principal, I've said it before, unless every dime is donated to a 9/11 charity so the movie and actors apart of it make no profit, I won't go see it.

743218[/snapback]

What's with that whole argument?

"The Sands of Iwo Jima" shouldn't have been made unless all the profits went to make a statue? "The Perfect Storm" shouldn't have been written or made into a film 7 years later?

That's sh--.

This is America. There is NOTHING wrong with a film making a profit. This is called capitalism --- something the terrorists want to destroy. W/in this system lies economic choice, you can go see it or not, regardless of whether you see a 'need.'

This is America. There is NOTHING wrong with a film making a profit. This is called capitalism --- something the terrorists want to destroy. W/in this system lies economic choice, you can go see it or not, regardless of whether you see a 'need.'

and it his prerogative to feel that way. the sands of iwo jima was light years ago, different times etc...9/11 is still too sore a subject for some of us to go be "entertained" by a movie. I sat threw will ferilz taladago nites and i doo not feel i left the moovy any dummer than when i wacked in. i did laff my fanee off tho

"The Sands of Iwo Jima" shouldn't have been made unless all the profits went to make a statue? "The Perfect Storm" shouldn't have been written or made into a film 7 years later?

That's sh--.

743235[/snapback]

Sorry, won't go see it based on principal, I've said it before, unless every dime is donated to a 9/11 charity so the movie and actors apart of it make no profit, I won't go see it. It was a tragic event that happened too recently to be trying to turn a profit off of. I'm sure most Americans know all about this event and there was no need for a film yet to give us another view of what happened. Years from now when a new generation is growing up only knowing what they read in history books about that day is here, then a film like that will be something worth watching.

And you did not like Talledega nights?

743218[/snapback]

While you are certainally entitled to your opinion, I disagree. Yes, americans know what happened, but for some reason, people seem to forget it happened. People forget the emotions they had, people forget that we did nothing to bring on the attacks. People were care free from terror before the attacks, and are quickly going back to being care free again. The anger is gone. The patriotism is gone. And the enemy sees that. Americans need to be reminded more often about 911. I have not seen this film, but it sounds like it brings back those emotions.

Yes, I would like to see most of the profits diverted to charity. Although box office returns prove it is NOT too early for this movie. Maybe it is for you, but evidently its not for many americans. And thats okay.

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing WTC yet, but I will chime in on the Will Ferrell thing....

I'm actually really thankful for the sort of films that he makes....sure, there are a lot of crap fests out there that were just a total waste of two hours. But there's also a lot of "dumb" films that allow you to spend two hours laughing your arse off. I don't know about you guys, but I place a premium on laughter. If a film can crack me up and entertain me for those two hours, then I feel I got more than my money's worth.

I love all sorts of films....but I feel very strongly that "dumb" comedies have their place.

Very well made. Ollie Stone was VERY restrained; he did not force the script, and did not make cheap tugs at emotion. He simply told a true story without politicizing the events or attempting to explain them in a cosmic sense. In the end, the move does not try to solve any questions of why someone would commit such a horrible act, or what should have been done to prevent such an act...It is story of survival during one of the country's darkest hours, and depending on how the movie speaks to you, you can end up leaving the theater feeling uplifted.

743235[/snapback]

Profiting from the demise of any human being isn't exactly a heart warming thought, but unless you’re related to Forrest Gump you probably didn't see Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, or the Perfect Storm in person, or on television. When very few can visualize a tragedy, and a movie comes along that heightens awareness and empathy, I can justify making a movie about it. Some people just don't see any justification in this movie regardless of how well done, or heart warming it is. As you point out it's up to them if they want to see it or not.

Why cite that the film is apolitical as one of its strong points and then bring politics into it?  0:)

743260[/snapback]

Because, if you've ever seen an Oliver Stone flick, you know he usually makes a political point in some way or another. This film is deviod of any political viewpoint nad merely describes the actions of some heroic men. It was an incredible, true story that was told much better than I ever would've expected from him.

I think he went out of his way to keep politics out of the film. If you see it or someday rent it you'll understand what I mean.

I love all sorts of films....but I feel very strongly that "dumb" comedies have their place.

743256[/snapback]

I usually love Will Ferrell's work and am a fan of his brand of comedy, but I think this film just sucked...sorry.

I usually love Will Ferrell's work and am a fan of his brand of comedy, but I think this film just sucked...sorry.

743343[/snapback]

That's too bad...I haven't seen it yet, but I'm really hoping I like it. The guy usually cracks me up.

I think every American who thinks we can go back to life the way it was pre-9/11 by just being nice to the Islamo-fascists needs to see this as a stark reminder of why we find ourselves in the world we're in today.

743148[/snapback]

I haven't seen it yet. But, did it explain how the Iraqis were involved and why we went to war with Iraq because of 9/11?

I also haven't seen Pearl Harbor. I hope that it showed us kicking the Germans asses after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

I also haven't seen Pearl Harbor.  I hope that it showed us kicking the Germans asses after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

743356[/snapback]

Damn Kamikaze Nazi bastards!!!!

I haven't seen it yet.  But, did it explain how the Iraqis were involved and why we went to war with Iraq because of 9/11?

I also haven't seen Pearl Harbor.  I hope that it showed us kicking the Germans asses after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

743356[/snapback]

Nice try, but I'm not taking the bait. I never intended this to turn into a debate over Iraq. But if you believe that Iraq is the reason terrorists are still trying to destroy our way of life, I think you're mistaken.

It seems to me that the PC crowd is upset because I used a word that is offensive to Islamo-fascists and they're afraid of offending them.

I personally would love to go back to a pre-9/11 time instead of seeing my brothers getting killed and wounded. But we live in a dangerous world that's becoming more and more lethal every day. The WTC movis is a poingnient true story of what happened on that faithful day...nothing more, nothing less.

and it his prerogative to feel that way. the sands of iwo jima was light years ago, different times etc..

From what I understand a remake is (and should be ) in the works. I can't remember the director but I do remember my ears perking up when I heard about it.

From what I understand a remake is (and should be ) in the works. I can't remember the director but I do remember my ears perking up when I heard about it.

743635[/snapback]

Clint Eastwood is directing "Flags of Our Fathers," based on a excellent book.

Link

I actually watched them film the USMC memorial dedication scene last November, here in Arlington.

Honestly i was a little shocked at the film, seeing that it lacked political stand point. Which is a good thing.

To go as far as to call it awesome, i think that is a little over the top and a little distatsteful on choice of words. I think the film was really well done as they go from the things that we knew at the time of the situation and not saying like damn these Islamic bastards.

All in all, a good film that documents the struggle of Americans on that day.

Grade: -A