Update on Portis

Chilly

This is from a FBG email I got

I know you guys are looking for more info on Clinton Portis and his partially

dislocated shoulder. Remember, the medical term for a partial dislocation like

Portis suffered is "subluxation".

It's a different (and usually more serious) injury than a shoulder separation

which involves the top part of the AC shoulder joint. A dislocation injury deals

with how the humerus (arm) bone connects in the ball and socket type joint of the

shoulder.

Jason La Canfora reports in today's Washington Post that Redskins Director of

Sports Medicine, Bubba Tyer said that an accurate timetable for Portis' return

would be impossible to determine for several more days.

Ryan O'Halloran in today's Washington Times reports that coach Joe Gibbs said,

"It's going to be a while before he'll play."

The team has not ruled out Portis playing again in the preseason but that seems

unlikely at this point. Most are more worried about his status for Week 1 of the

regular season. Portis himself said he was worried about being less than 100% for

the regular season.

Portis said, "But even if it's not serious, to be nicked going into Week 1, how

often do you think defensive coordinators are going to blitz me?" If he's worried

about picking up a blitz, you can bet he'll be worried about taking a hit while

running.

Coach Joe Gibbs is expected to address this situation further at a press

conference scheduled for 5:45 PM ET Monday afternoon.

For what it's worth, Portis used the opportunity to express his displeasure with

the four game preseason. "For whoever's watching: Let's get rid of some of these

games," Portis said. "Four games is ridiculous. Then you play a 16-game season and

the playoffs behind that."

Of course most people watching realize that a shorter preseason would just give

Portis less time to be ready for the regular season.

So that's pretty much what I have for right now. We're in wait and see mode. Coach

Gibbs may have more info later this afternoon or he may just confirm what the

team's Director of Sports Medicine is saying in that it will likely be a few more

days before they can give an accurate timetable.

743081[/snapback]

Don't know if you watched the Sunday game to the end (seems that there is a new rule saying the media can't talk to an injured player on the sideline till after the game - poor Santionio Moss got asked mid-game questions about Portis and looked flommoxed that it wasn't about him. 0:) ).

But at the end of the game, Portis said to the irritating chickee, words along the lines of "this is what happens when I have to play in a game I shouldn't".

No surprise - Portis is a self-serving snot. I wasn't surprised when DEN didn't wet their pants when he left.

Yeah that looked like it hurt too, his knee just fell apart when he was making a cut.  Knees shouldn't bend 90 degrees sideways right?  0:)

743138[/snapback]

Reminded me of Shawn Bryson shredding his ACL in his first training camp. Ugh. Makes my knees hurt just thinking about it.

Happened to a good kid, too -- Kerry Carter. (I've spoken to him a couple of times at Bonnies basketball games when his younger brother, Kern, played for SBU.) And he and fellow Stanford alum Coy Wire collaborate on the Most High clothing line...

743081[/snapback]

Sick as it sounds, Portis and his cloudy injury situation, has me chomping at the bit for my fanatasy draft...I know he will play this year, and I know his stock will fall...if he is still there late in the fourth round, or early 5th, he is my pick! I hope he misses at least the first game...I am picking Carson Palmer and Portis after the 3rd round if both, or either are available..:(