"Bust" Philip Rivers...

Dr. K

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody called him a "bust" (how can you, he's hardly played), though I did say I thought he would end up being a bust.  There's a big difference between the two statements.  Yeah, I saw the kid play in college a few times and despite one nice showing in the pre-season I don't think his game will translate to the pros.  Time will tell.  My applogies if that annoys you.

Do you think every QB drafted in the 1st round (of any given draft) will pan out?  If not should it annoy me (or others) that you don't think a given QB will "make it" in the pros?

Does it annoy you that I think Vince Young will be the bust of this draft?  I guess I've never seen him play if I think that.... 0:)

743108[/snapback]

Maybe you didn't do so. but someone (more than one person) called him a "bust" in just those terms. No "will be." Just "is."

Of course I don't think every 1st round Qb will succeed. I don't KNOW that Rivers will succeed, either, though I think he will. I was reacting to just this one player (whom I know something about) and to the fact that he was being called a bust before he had ever even started a game.

Time will indeed tell about Rivers.

Nobody called him a "bust" (how can you, he's hardly played), though I did say I thought he would end up being a bust.  There's a big difference between the two statements.  Yeah, I saw the kid play in college a few times and despite one nice showing in the pre-season I don't think his game will translate to the pros.  Time will tell.  My applogies if that annoys you.

Do you think every QB drafted in the 1st round (of any given draft) will pan out?  If not should it annoy me (or others) that you don't think a given QB will "make it" in the pros?

Does it annoy you that I think Vince Young will be the bust of this draft?  I guess I've never seen him play if I think that.... 0:)

743108[/snapback]

It annoys me. ;);)

Not to spoil your parade but gb had the #1 ranked pass defense last year in the nfl

743094[/snapback]

Depends on which stat you choose to use:

#1 in passing yardage, yes. To be fair, that may have been a product of their 4-12 record and 23rd-ranked run D; only New Orleans faced fewer passing attempts. Easier to defend against the pass when the other team is trying to run out the clock.

Looking at their 2005 stats: in 430 attempts, opposing QBs threw 22 TD passes vs. only 10 INTs and compiled an 86.2 QB rating (with an incredibly high 5.1% TDs-per-attempts percentage).

Just a guess here - albeit one which would seem to be substantiated by the amount of cash they threw at FA DBs Charles Woodson and Marquand Manuel - but they're probably not bragging about that #1 ranking.

If Rivers succeeds in the NFL than personally i believe it means Losman is going to be -based on statistics - a bust.

When was the last time that all of the quarterbacks chosen in the first round of a given year succeeded in the NFL and at one point were all considered the best in the league. There have been close calls but every year there is one player that does not succeed.

Of that year, the first round qb's were:

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

JP Losman

Manning is certainly coming along, no one is in a position to call Ben a bust, although he is just on a team with a great supporting cast and i feel as though he is a little over rated, and Rivers is coming into his own.

Where does that leave Losman?

If Rivers succeeds in the NFL than personally i believe it means Losman is going to be -based on statistics - a bust.

When was the last time that all of the quarterbacks chosen in the first round of a given year succeeded in the NFL and at one point were all considered the best in the league. There have been close calls but every year there is one player that does not succeed.

Of that year, the first round qb's were:

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

JP Losman

Manning is certainly coming along, no one is in a position to call Ben a bust, although he is just on a team with a great supporting cast and i feel as though he is a little over rated, and Rivers is coming into his own.

Where does that leave Losman?

743259[/snapback]

While you're at it you might want to toss in Aaron Rodger's name too. As we gave up a 2nd (Julius Jones) and 5th (Sean Ryan) in 2004 and a 1st (Marcus Spears) at #20 in 2005. Which means we could of drafted Rodgers in 2005 who went 24th overall. Rodgers was 9/11 for 124 yards and 1 INT and 3 rushes for 21 against San Diego this weekend. I'm not ready to say JP is a bust or Rivers or Rodgers stars at this time but it will be fun to see as each develops.

While you're at it you might want to toss in Aaron Rodger's name too. As we gave up a 2nd (Julius Jones) and 5th (Sean Ryan) in 2004 and a 1st (Marcus Spears) at #20 in 2005. Which means we could of drafted Rodgers in 2005 who went 24th overall. Rodgers was 9/11 for 124 yards and 1 INT and 3 rushes for 21 against San Diego this weekend.  I'm not ready to say JP is a bust or Rivers or Rodgers stars at this time but it will be fun to see as each develops.

743296[/snapback]

I'm not willing to concede to the idea of Losman being a bust either, it is just that the stats say that if Rivers succeeds, the deck is stacked against him.

I'm not willing to concede to the idea of Losman being a bust either, it is just that the stats say that if Rivers succeeds, the deck is stacked against him.

743309[/snapback]

I know, as I'm one who feels QB is a rather overrated position in the NFL and always prefer to draft one later (my choice in 2004 instead of JP was Matt Schaub) then later.

Remember JP's first preseason? Wasn't everyone calling him "Mr. Perfect" because he comleted all his passes in his first game? Or maybe it was the first two games? Can't remember for sure...

My, how far they fall.

Remember JP's first preseason?  Wasn't everyone calling him "Mr. Perfect" because he comleted all his passes in his first game?  Or maybe it was the first two games?  Can't remember for sure...

My, how far they fall.

743416[/snapback]

A few years further back, I seem to recall a few preseason Pro Bowl predictions tossed in RJ's direction as well.

Not saying that Doc K is wrong, just that preseason performance is not a guarantee of future success..

I'll be truly suprised if Rivers turns out to be any better than below average.

743164[/snapback]

I agree and I write that with regret b/c I like him and want him to be good.

I also believe this about J.P. Sure give him a chance and with more experience playing... Hey, I am hopeful, but I just don't think the kid has good leadership, decision making and accuracy as a QB. Not a good combo, IMHO.

Hope they both prove me wrong, especially J.P. but I just don't see it...

...15-21, 169 yards in one half of play against the Packers Saturday.

He threw a 22-yard touchdown pass (after a 17-yard TD pass was ruled out of bounds) on his first drive.  Led an 86-yard drive to TD in second quarter. QB rating for the game:  111.0

It's just one game, but the guy is going to be good.  It really annoyed me to hear people on the board (who prabably never saw him play) call him a "bust."

742911[/snapback]

They say all kinds of things. anyone that criticizes the Bills in any way is stupid and other players, coaches and teams just suck because they are not us.

He can't possibly be any good, he has only played in 4 regular season games and and we all know that a QB can't learn a darn thing until he has played a whole 16 game season, all other experience is useless.  Or so I am told. :(

743021[/snapback]

Look up how long Rivers was a starter in college vs. Losman.

#1 in passing yardage, yes. To be fair, that may have been a product of their 4-12 record and 23rd-ranked run D; only New Orleans faced fewer passing attempts. Easier to defend against the pass when the other team is trying to run out the clock.

Looking at their 2005 stats: in 430 attempts, opposing QBs threw 22 TD passes vs. only 10 INTs and compiled an 86.2 QB rating (with an incredibly high 5.1% TDs-per-attempts percentage).

Just a guess here - albeit one which would seem to be substantiated by the amount of cash they threw at FA DBs Charles Woodson and Marquand Manuel - but they're probably not bragging about that #1 ranking.

743250[/snapback]

The sad sack B'gals teams used to crow about being good against the run or the pass depending on the year.

BTW, 7th rounder Ethan Kilmer from your PSU looks like a lock to make the Cincy club. His college ST play has carried over nicely.

743250[/snapback]

great post!