Aug. 14, 1945...V-J Day

stuckincincy

"When the lights go on again..............all over the world."

Thank You boys.

Thank You Dad, (CBI) and Dziadzi. (Guadalcanal, etc.) and Uncle Ray (D-Day and Europe)

"When the lights go on again..............all over the world."

Thank You boys.

Thank You Dad, (CBI) and Dziadzi. (Guadalcanal, etc.) and Uncle Ray (D-Day and Europe)

742815[/snapback]

My Mom and Dad, young marrieds, were working Sunday the 7th, 1941 finishing some shutters for a customer at the small family-owned lumber mill in S.

Buffalo when they heard the news.

Dad was shipped off to Boca Raton, FL for training. My Mom joined him down there, traveling through NY and PA, standing on a train. When he was shipped overseas, she returned and worked at the Chevy foundry on River Road making bomb casings.

Dad was in the Italian campaign with a B-24 bomber wing...radioman, and had several missions as a side gunner because of attrition.

My late father-in-law, it turned out, was also in combat with B-24s, in the Japanese theater.

After my mom passed on in '01, her papers had several of those combo envelope and writing surface mailings from my Dad. One, when he was in Boca, said "Bertie, it was a real hep band!", referring to some entertainment provided to the G.I.s on base.

Our parents were once very young kids... 0:)

Mom's favorite cousin was a Marine, and like your relation, was at Guadalcanal. Many others on both sides of the family were combatants. My Mom's only brother signed up underage, and ended up after the war in Germany combating the residue of the Nazi regime (there were thousands of deaths after the official cessation - the Nazis fought on) and ended up being a spook fighting black market activities. Had a horrific scar on the back of his neck after he was raked over with a broken coke bottle.

We live soft, thanks to others before us..