The word"raw"

One thing that to me is paramount in this entire Losman controversy is his history. The knock on him coming out of college is that he was "raw". not that he was inaccurate. Not that he wasn't talented. In fact. when he was a junior, most high level critics labled him the #1 QB in the nation, ahead of even Eli and Rivers. What the scouts worried about was that Losman didn't have the experience the other QBs did, and that was due to the fact that at Tulane, Patrick Ramsey, who turned out to be a #1 pick in the NFL was two years older than Losman. Losman actually beat him out as a true freshman coming in late but couldn't keep the job, and the junior Ramsey became the starter. So while Rivers, who starterd four years, and Manning and Big Ben who started three, were seasoned college players, Losman was not. he was on a ragtag team, which almost lost its program, and he only started two years in college. Almost every report on him was that he was extremely talented and extremely raw. And what have we seen? A QB with all the tools but raw.

Quite a shocker.

Guess what?

That's exactly how he has played.

One thing that to me is paramount in this entire Losman controversy is his history. The knock on him coming out of college is that he was "raw". not that he was inaccurate. Not that he wasn't talented. In fact. when he was a junior, most high level critics labled him the #1 QB in the nation, ahead of even Eli and Rivers. What the scouts worried about was that Losman didn't have the experience the other QBs did, and that was due to the fact that at Tulane, Patrick Ramsey, who turned out to be a #1 pick in the NFL was two years older than Losman. Losman actually beat him out as a true freshman coming in late but couldn't keep it the job, and the junior Ramsey became the starter. So while Rivers, who starterd four years, and Manning and Big Ben who started three, were seasoned college players, Losman was not. he was on a ragtag team, which almost lost its program, and he only started two years in college. Almost every report on him was that he was extremely talented and extremely raw. And what have we seen? A QB with all the tools but raw.

Quite a shocker.

Guess what?

That's exactly how he has played.

742688[/snapback]

Year 3 is do or die time though.

742689[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that....though perhaps you meant the comment more moderate than it sounded. You bias things by saying year 3(esp. on a thread talking about JPs experience). Really, he has only had 8 NFL starts with lesser college experience than most.

I would think(esp. since he is 'raw') that all he really need do this year is to show improvement(mainly in the mental side of the game).

In comparison to teams developing QBs, 1.5 years as a starter will probably still give JP some leeway as long as he is showing improvement.

I'm hoping this year the lights turn on for him but....realistically it will probably happen in 2007....with improvements this year.

I'm not so sure about that....though perhaps you meant the comment more moderate than it sounded.  You bias things by saying year 3(esp. on a thread talking about JPs experience).  Really, he has only had 8 NFL starts with lesser college experience than most.

I would think(esp. since he is 'raw') that all he really need do this year is to show improvement(mainly in the mental side of the game). 

In comparison to teams developing QBs, 1.5 years as a starter will probably still give JP some leeway as long as he is showing improvement. 

I'm hoping this year the lights turn on for him but....realistically it will probably happen in 2007....with improvements this year.

742697[/snapback]

Do or die for his future with the Bills, is what I meant. ;)

I would hope that the Bills give up on this experiment unless he shows that he can compete in this league.

Not necessarily a "great" QB, but one that can not lose football games and make a play or two in the process.

Otherwise, I think the Bills will give up on the JP Experiment

Do or die for his future with the Bills, is what I meant.  :)

I would hope that the Bills give up on this experiment unless he shows that he can compete in this league.

Not necessarily a "great" QB, but one that can not lose football games and make a play or two in the process.

Otherwise, I think the Bills will give up on the JP Experiment

742700[/snapback]

I suppose I was saying I assume he will lose us a couple this year due to his inexperience. As long as he wins a couple as well due to his future greatness I figure we will all be happy. ;)

The problem with JP is that he hasn't even played a full season yet even tho he is a 3 year pro. We don't know what we have. I hope Marv and Dick realize that this is a rebuilding year and if the vets don't like it, cut them.

742689[/snapback]

It is, if he is allowed to play the entire year, which, barring injury, he probably will play most of it. And we will know after this year with a little certainty whether he is going to be pretty good or not. Fans like to think in black and white, a player either is good or he sucks. But that's very rarely true. A guy who does his job well 60% of the time is actually a pretty good player. But that also means he is failing or barley doing his job 40% of the time. A player can learn a lot by being on the bench for two years, but he can't learn it all. And a guy like Phillip Rivers, who started four years of college ball, is going to have a little easier time watching for two years and then playing than Losman is, since he only played two years of college ball.

But I think you're right, this year he needs to start performing at a good level by the middle of the season. I'm betting he will. But that doesn't mean he's not going to throw a lot of bad passes or make some bad decisions or look stupid scrambling and losing 20 yards once in a while.

Well to get raw meat to be edible, you have to cook it for a while. Its time to stop pussyfooting around and just name JP the starter. We are not going to the Super Bowl this year, so lets see if we drafted a QB or if we should start looking to the draft or free agency. He needs a full year of success and failure to see IF he has what it takes.