Who helped their cause the most last night

Rubes

I'd say these guys did the most for themselves during last night's game...

Defense:

- Kyle Williams. He played an awful lot last night, against first, second, and third-stringers. He seemed to be making plays against all of them. I've got a good feeling about this guy.

- Ryan Denney. I think he likes this defensive system. He did a nice job moving around and getting to the ball, even doing well shedding some blocks to do so. May move ahead of Kelsay if he keeps it up.

- Eric King and Jabari Greer. Both did a nice impersonation of Antoine Winfield, showing solid one-on-one tackling skills. That's what I like to see.

Offense:

- Lionel Gates. Starting to show some stuff out there. Made a very strong push for the backup spot. He's got speed and he's not afraid to lower his head and plow through a safety. Or do helicopters.

- Sam Aiken. Made some nice catches and was the only receiver to stand out last night in an otherwise dull performance by the receivers. The WR competition may have lit a fire under his a$$.

- JP. Typical for a guy in his position, he made some really nice plays and some pretty ugly plays. But he's looking more and more comfortable back there.

- Craig Nall. Just kidding. Although actually, with Holcomb stinking it up, maybe not playing helped his cause more than anything.

Honorable mentions:

- Kevin Everett. Nice to see him actually play, and he made a couple of catches. He's bigger than I realized.

- Roscoe Parrish. Didn't do a lot, but we really have to get him the ball more.

- Shaud Williams. He also didn't do a lot, but man is he quick. He definitely has his shortcomings, but I really like watching him run with the ball.

- John McCargo. No eye-opening plays, but he looks like he has the tools to play with the first-stringers. With three more preseason games under his belt, I expect to see him doing some good things.

Defense:

- Kyle Williams. He played an awful lot last night, against first, second, and third-stringers. He seemed to be making plays against all of them. I've got a good feeling about this guy.

- Ryan Denney. I think he likes this defensive system. He did a nice job moving around and getting to the ball, even doing well shedding some blocks to do so. May move ahead of Kelsay if he keeps it up.

742649[/snapback]

Those are my top 2 as well... I think Kelsay and Tiny Tim are headed for the 2nd-team wave come Week 1 if they don't step up.

And I would just LOVE to see Ko Simpson get the nod over old man Vincent, what a thoroughbred running back that fumble.... hope he can get it together sooner rather than later.

Bowen looked good before he got hurt as well.

On O, I thought Brad Butler held his own very well with the 2nd unit...good to see Kevin Everett on the field, he was OK... and Aiken isn't going anywhere.

Defense:

- Eric King and Jabari Greer. Both did a nice impersonation of Antoine Winfield, showing solid one-on-one tackling skills. That's what I like to see.

Offense:

- Lionel Gates. Starting to show some stuff out there. Made a very strong push for the backup spot. He's got speed and he's not afraid to lower his head and plow through a safety. Or do helicopters.

- Sam Aiken. Made some nice catches and was the only receiver to stand out last night in an otherwise dull performance by the receivers. The WR competition may have lit a fire under his a$$.

Honorable mentions:

- Shaud Williams. He also didn't do a lot, but man is he quick. He definitely has his shortcomings, but I really like watching him run with the ball.

742649[/snapback]

I agree with you on Williams & Denney, they were stars on the D-Line.

Greer & King did look good making those tackles too.

Gates showed me a lot last night. Yes he did'nt have big numbers, but he could be something special.

Sam Aiken stood out last night. He may have been the best player on offense this game. I think the WR corps will be: Evans, Price, Reed, Parrish, & Aiken. Sorry Fast Freddie.

I like Shaud Williams, but I think he has too much to overcome. Gates looked very impressive, and even though Anthony Thomas only had 3 carries, he showed a certain quickness that I have not seen from him before.

Also I'd like to give honorable mentions to a few more:

DE Eric Powell. He got constant pressure on the QB.

LB Keith Ellison. Fast player and was around the ball a lot.

LB Liam Ezekial. Caused the fumble that Ko Simpson ran back. Unfortunately he caused the penalty that brought back Simpson's run after the fumble. Oh well.

And I would just LOVE to see Ko Simpson get the nod over old man Vincent, what a thoroughbred running back that fumble.... hope he can get it together sooner rather than later.

The kid just keeps making plays. Doubt he'd push Vincent off the roster -- still too raw -- but the other backup safeties should be VERY worried right now.

The kid just keeps making plays. Doubt he'd push Vincent off the roster -- still too raw -- but the other backup safeties should be VERY worried right now.

742677[/snapback]

Could be... Vincent showed absolutely nothing yesterday...

but neither did Baker. ;) I had hoped Rashad would look better.

742677[/snapback]

I very much hesitate to annoint anyone after one game to be either good or bad. But, just an opinion based on very little data, Ko Jay is a stud. He really looks like a football player, and sometimes that is almost the highest compliment you can give a young guy. For a fouth round pick, and 20 years old, the dude looks like a stud. I am one of the ones thinking that Vincent is still a viable player in this leagur.

BUT...

if Rashad Baker turns out to be a reliable player and part timr back-up/starter, we could afford to lose Vincent. Ko Simpson will be the Bills satrting FS in 2007.

KO Simpson should be the Bills starting fs in 2006. Odds are we're not going anywhere this year and even if we were troy vincent is no longer the kind of player to make or break a team. He probably still has game left, but Id prefer to see the younger guys play. I'm hoping KO only improves and shows enough to start and Baker solidifies the backup spot making Vincent expendable

KO Simpson should be the Bills starting lb in 2006. Odds are we're not going anywhere this year and even if we were troy vincent is no longer the kind of player to make or break a team.  He probably still has game left, but Id prefer to see the younger guys play. I'm hoping KO only improves and shows enough to start and Baker solidifies the backup spot making Vincent expendable

742695[/snapback]

FS... but word, agree 100%. It's up to Rashad though to make it happen in the next 3 games, we all know Ko is on the team no matter what.