The ESPN Conspiracy Involving the Bills

Pyrite Gal

I tubed into Pardon the Interruption yesterday and was initally concerned if not pissed that in their listing of topics to be covered, three of the first 4 were AFC East teams which were a focus on the Pats, then the Jets and then the Fins.

Ahh I thought, once again the conspiracy against the Bills rears its head as we were the only AFC East team judged unworthy of coverage.

I ended up amused though because if there is an ESPN conspiracy involving the Bills reflected in PTI coverage it definitely is a pro-Bills conspiracy.

The three stories were:

1. Will the Pats even make the playoffs this year as they lost McGinest to FA and now have lost Bruschi for at least the pre-season due to injury (since we get them for the starter, I expect Bruschit will wear a cast and play but this injury cannot hurt our prospects). They also noted that 3rd stringer at best Deion Branch is their best WR.

They concluded that the Pats would likely still make the playoffs because rebuilding teams the Fins and Bills were not there yet (tough to argue with that prediction) and the Jets were laughable. However, it ended with me feeling glad not to have my hopes hitched to the Pariots wagon this year.

2. I can't remember which story came next, but the piece on the Jets focused on the training camp run by wunderkind HC Mangini abd featured them dogging on his psychotic camp practices and saying they seemed rooted in his own insecurities as a young coach to show he was in charge. The cited quotes like one from Pennington that he had no idea how he was even doing as the camp seemed focused on working out individuals rather than building a team (the over-focus on individual measures like what's his 40 time and individual assessments rather than focusing on whether a TEAM is being built is seen here on TSW by whines such as those who focus on how many Pro Bowlers we have).

I don't think they even focused enough on how bad the impact may well be since Curtis Martin situation is showing signs of falling apart. The end product was to make me very happy that my hopes are not resting on the Jets performance.

3. The Fins report focused on the set-to between last year's 5th round draftee on the DL Wright who was bublicly reduced to tears by the chastising of Nick Saban in practice and now has asked to be released because the situation is not working out between player and team.

The report focused on Sabans response that they want to offer any support and help they can give to a team member who has a personal problem (Wright like Raider Barret Robins apparently suffers from clinical depression) but if a player refuse that assistance then he cannot choose to run out and the Fins will not release him.

The report focused most on appropriate franchise response to these medical issues, but in the in it made me happy that my hopes were not tied to the Fins as well.

This quick survey and demolition ended with me being quite happy the Bills were not covered beyond a passing positive mention we are at least on the upswing and rebuilding though not there yet. If there is a Bill's based conspiracy on this show, it is definitiely pro-Bills. I'm usually in the just spell the name right school, but no new is good news when it comes to PTI and ESPN besides reporting the simple game situation.

I tubed into Pardon the Interruption yesterday and was initally concerned if not pissed that in their listing of topics to be covered, three of the first 4 were AFC East teams which were a focus on the Pats, then the Jets and then the Fins.

Ahh I thought, once again the conspiracy against the Bills rears its head as we were the only AFC East team judged unworthy of coverage.

I ended up amused though because if there is an ESPN conspiracy involving the Bills reflected in PTI coverage it definitely is a pro-Bills conspiracy.

The three stories were:

1. Will the Pats even make the playoffs this year as they lost McGinest to FA and now have lost Bruschi for at least the pre-season due to injury (since we get them for the starter, I expect Bruschit will wear a cast and play but this injury cannot hurt our prospects).  They also noted that 3rd stringer at best Deion Branch is their best WR.

They concluded that the Pats would likely still make the playoffs because rebuilding teams the Fins and Bills were not there yet (tough to argue with that prediction) and the Jets were laughable.  However, it ended with me feeling glad not to have my hopes hitched to the Pariots wagon this year.

2. I can't remember which story came next, but the piece on the Jets focused on the training camp run by wunderkind HC Mangini abd featured them dogging on his psychotic camp practices and saying they seemed rooted in his own insecurities as a young coach to show he was in charge. The cited quotes like one from Pennington that he had no idea how he was even doing as the camp seemed focused on working out individuals rather than building a team (the over-focus on individual measures like what's his 40 time and individual assessments rather than focusing on whether a TEAM is being built is seen here on TSW by whines such as those who focus on how many Pro Bowlers we have).

I don't think they even focused enough on how bad the impact may well be since Curtis Martin situation is showing signs of falling apart.  The end product was to make me very happy that my hopes are not resting on the Jets performance.

3. The Fins report focused on the set-to between last year's 5th round draftee on the DL Wright who was bublicly reduced to tears by the chastising of Nick Saban in practice and now has asked to be released because the situation is not working out between player and team.

The report focused on Sabans response that they want to offer any support and help they can give to a team member who has a personal problem (Wright like Raider Barret Robins apparently suffers from clinical depression) but if a player refuse that assistance then he cannot choose to run out and the Fins will not release him.

The report focused most on appropriate franchise response to these medical issues, but in the in it made me happy that my hopes were not tied to the Fins as well.

This quick survey and demolition ended with me being quite happy the Bills were not covered beyond a passing positive mention we are at least on the upswing and rebuilding though not there yet. If there is a Bill's based conspiracy on this show, it is definitiely pro-Bills.  I'm usually in the just spell the name right school, but no new is good news when it comes to PTI and ESPN besides reporting the simple game situation.

741316[/snapback]

I've been saying for awhile that the less anybody pays attention to us, the better. Let the popular teams bear the scrutiny of the media and let the Bills play and win football games.

I'm with you on this. No news is better than a sigmoidoscopy on national tv, and unless a team's winning - or was a winner in the recent past - there's nothing in it for the national media - unless of course there's a major scandal by a pile of reprobates involved. I have to be resigned to the former, as it's the stark reality of the Donnaho legacy, and I'm very happy that the latter is not the case with this squad of Marv's.

For anybody looking for respect from the national media - that will only come with winning. All they have to do is win and heads will turn and The Bills will once again be taken seriously. Here's a simple way to gauge the truth of that position - and I apologize in advance if your thread gets hijacked. (you can count on many posters not reading much of anything from the top down):

HEADS WILL TURN WHEN THE BILLS START THE SEASON 4-0!

If the Bills weren't a managerial and coaching laughing stock, then maybe they'd get some love. How can anyone take this team serious. We as fans do, but it ends there.

If the foolishness continues this season, then it's only gonna get worse.

Hopes are high, but it isn't the first time they've been high with new coaches, GMs, and coordinators.

If the Bills weren't a managerial and coaching laughing stock, then maybe they'd get some love.  How can anyone take this team serious.  We as fans do, but it ends there. 

Hopes are high, but it isn't the first time they've been high with new coaches, GMs, and coordinators.

741336[/snapback]

Actually, Kornheiser and Wilbon were both very big fans of the Marv hiring...said that it gave the team stability and Wilbon in particular slammed some of the talking heads for coming down so hard on Marv.

I'm sure they must have missed the "Bills R St00pid" memo that ESPN sent out to all of its employees.

In 2001, I noticed the Chicago Bears weren't getting much love. They went 13-3.

Two years ago, many were picking the San Diego Chargers as the NFL's worst team. That squad went 12-4.

Let the know-it-alls in the media not notice the Bills. If they do surprise, Bills fans will have the last laugh.

Mike

I can't understand why people always see conspiracies when the national media in general--and ESPN in particular--devote more airtime to major media market teams and/or teams that have had a long history of success than to lil' old Buffalo. No conspiracy...they're just playing to their audience.

If the Bills weren't a managerial and coaching laughing stock, then maybe they'd get some love.  How can anyone take this team serious.  We as fans do, but it ends there. 

741336[/snapback]

Boy you must define getting love in some Willis McGahee baby momma kind of way if being better managers and coaches is going to get them to the kind of "love" which the Pats, Fins and Jets "enjoyed" from ESPN from the PTI crew.

I can't understand why people always see conspiracies when the national media in general--and ESPN in particular--devote more airtime to major media market teams and/or teams that have had a long history of success than to lil' old Buffalo.    No conspiracy...they're just playing to their audience.

741373[/snapback]

Very true!

No conspiracy...they're just playing to their audience.

741373[/snapback]

And obviously based on your comments you fall for the E$PN bait.

Buffalo is not compelling enough for E$PN now. With a few more player arrests, ex-RB's who have psycic evaluations, with maybe a player or two being reported that he is hooked on going to the OTB every day, or if some of the Bills players suck up to ESPN and promote them...maybe, just maybe these idiots you all discuss on ESPN will talk about us and make some of you feel better....

Sad that some people need ESPN's approval to feel satisifaction about the team they root for.

2 words about ESPN:

WHO CARES

Under the radar is exactly where I want this team to be. Let's face it, with a revamped offensive line, perhaps as many as 5 or 6 rookies seeing significant playing time, a brand new coach, and very young QB this team is not going to be good early. Starting off the schedule with road trips to New England and Miami certainly isn't going to help.

In my opinion, this team's goal needs to be just to avoid elimination during the rough early-season schedule while this team comes together. 3-4 going into the bye would leave me content - anything better would leave me ecstatic. This team's last 7 games include four at home, and road trips to Houston, the NY Jets, and Baltimore. If this team can put it together by mid-season, those final seven games completely set us up for a late season run. Every year some team starts off slow and puts it together down the stretch. Looking at the Bills schedule, we have the opportunity to be that team - and I suspect the biggest obstacle will be whether our QB can take advantage of it.

JDG

I love reading about the conspiracy theories...while I really can only speak for PTI(&ATH) I assure you there are no conspiracies. If the Bills are newsworthy, they'll be in the breakdown. If not, they won't be. It's truly that simply.

The three stories were:

1. Will the Pats even make the playoffs this year as they lost McGinest to FA and now have lost Bruschi for at least the pre-season due to injury (since we get them for the starter, I expect Bruschit will wear a cast and play but this injury cannot hurt our prospects).  They also noted that 3rd stringer at best Deion Branch is their best WR.

They concluded that the Pats would likely still make the playoffs because rebuilding teams the Fins and Bills were not there yet (tough to argue with that prediction) and the Jets were laughable.  However, it ended with me feeling glad not to have my hopes hitched to the Pariots wagon this year.

I don't think they even focused enough on how bad the impact may well be since Curtis Martin situation is showing signs of falling apart.  The end product was to make me very happy that my hopes are not resting on the Jets performance.

This quick survey and demolition ended with me being quite happy the Bills were not covered beyond a passing positive mention we are at least on the upswing and rebuilding though not there yet. If there is a Bill's based conspiracy on this show, it is definitiely pro-Bills.  I'm usually in the just spell the name right school, but no new is good news when it comes to PTI and ESPN besides reporting the simple game situation.

741316[/snapback]

I dont watch espn that much anymore.

if they dont show gates's TD then they are biased agenst the bills.

if they do show it, then it will be one of the first bills offensive highlights we have had in a long time.

Maybe there isn't a lot of coverage because the Bills have stunk for the better part of a decade and this year doesn't look too promising. Call me crazy but the usually don't devote a lot of time to teams in the cellar. More wins=more coverage.