Is The Plan To Win Now?

Come on, it is training camp! The glass is half full right now, you never know what will happen on any given Sunday. There will be plenty of time to talk about rebuilding after week 2. Right now, I WANT TO BELLIEVE! As Bills fans, this is the only time of year we can have this feeling...

What do I think? I think because you are building a good team doesn't mean you can't win in the present. What do you think?

741337[/snapback]

Hopefully the Bills win right away, but we all know young guys take about 3 years to fully hit their stride.

Even if you are rebuilding, the attitude has to be "win now" for the players. If they believe they can win, they will. I've said it a hundred times...our schedule, especially after the bye is EASY!! If Jauron has this team clicking, we are going surprise people.

PTR

The potential is there to surprise...because no one expects the Bills to be good.

The schedule is fairly easy, and the Bills get four home games after Thanksgiving, which is unusual. The weather will be a factor.

I put the Bills in at 7-9...improvement, but not enough to challenge this year. But, the division is weaker and that can only help Buffalo.

I know Miami's a trendy pick for the 547th consecutive year, but I think the fact that Wicky's playing in a country where it's largely legal to smoke pot hurts the Dolphins.

Mike

Even if you are rebuilding, the attitude has to be "win now" for the players.  If they believe they can win, they will.  I've said it a hundred times...our schedule, especially after the bye is EASY!!  If Jauron has this team clicking, we are going surprise people.

PTR

741356[/snapback]

Even the 0-14 Bucs thought they could win. :doh:

Insted of worrying about wins and losses. The Bills should concentrate on doing one thing well. Running the ball, stoping the run, special teams. This team needs it's identity first of all. Right now they have none. :D

I know Miami's a trendy pick for the 547th consecutive year, but I think the fact that Wicky's playing in a country where it's largely legal to smoke pot hurts the Dolphins.

Mike

741359[/snapback]

Wouldn't it be a scream if they went 4-0 and then faded in December? For the 457th time! :doh:

Even the 0-14 Bucs thought they could win. :doh:

Insted of worrying about wins and losses. The Bills should concentrate on doing one thing well. Running the ball, stoping the run, special teams. This team needs it's identity first of all. Right now they have none.  ;)

741363[/snapback]

But there were only 14 games in a season, how could they win if there were no games left? ;)

And running the ball, stopping the run and special teams are three things, not one :D

Just my opinion, but rebuilding and winning are not mutually exclusive - certainly, the plan is not "lose now". I think last year's record was an aberration due in large part to bad management and lousy coaching. With our schedule, I think the Bills will do quite well . As TKO said, "I don't believe in rebuilding - I believe in reloading."

1.) Does the Bills management plan on contending for the division this year

2.) or do you think they understand that that is not a realistic posibility?

3.) I think they plan on competing and winning a lot of games.

4.) I just like the attitude I'm seeing.

741311[/snapback]

Answers:

1.) No. They're not planning on anything other than playing one opponent each week for 17 consecutive weeks with one week off at the end of October (spooky huh?). Their cumulative won/lost record for those 17 weeks and those of their divisional opponents will automatically determine if they will be contenders or pretenders.

2.) You've given up on the season already? I told you, they play the games once a week, one opponent at a time.

3.) Oh. You haven't quite given up then. You think they are planning on competing and actually winning a lot of games! Wow!

4.) Which attitude is that? That you think we have management that's unsure about their resolve to win the division? Or, that of "fans" who understand that doing that is not a realistic possibility but are unclear that management sees it the same way? Or, is it the attitude you think they have in spite of the improbability of it all- of planning on competing and winning a lot of games?

I think that the fist priority of Ralph and Marv is to WIN NOW!

I think this is the case for several reasons:

A. The Golden Boys will not be on this planet forever-

There are no signs that either will die tomorrow or this season. However, one would be a fool to count on even a pretty rational three year plan as a mechanism for reaching the SB and fully expect to make it. I think they recognize the reality that life is not fair and no matter how nice and deserving we Bills fans are it is quite unlikely we will even make the playoffs this year. However, I think the priority goal for the Golden Boys is to win this year because they see that as the best way to achieve a win next year.

I think strategies which involve a rational approach like rebuilding the OL through the draft which may well be a good approach, are simply flat out rejected on the Giolden Boy timeline and folks who may believe that is the best way to do things also need to recognize and acknowledge that this approach is simply unrealistic, will not and cannot happen in a world controlled by the Golden Boys time schedule.

They can rail all they want about this being the best way to do things, but the concept is meaningless if one is hoping to catch lightening in a bottle because it is simply silly to assume you will still be here anywhere past 80 or that you will be able to enjoy the team.

B. The business demands you put butts in the seats now-

The goal for any operating business is to maximize profit for the investors (in this case Ralph and see item #1). While it is logical (and in fact essential) to think about return on investment over the long run if you want the business to be sustained. In our system judgments are made each quarter on the profit produced by the investment.

The Bills were in the best position possbile to rebuild after the end of the Butler era as ongoing decision to rob Peter to pay Paul of extending contracts like John Fina and the "handshake" agreement between Jimbo and Ralph paid players beyond the time they played a useful role on the field for the Bills. However, with the payoff of 4 straight SBs and the love built for the Bills in this community we were in a position where a season could obviously be thrown in the waste basket for rebuilding. Even under these conditions the default team goal was to make the playoffs and to some extent the braintrust and players needed to at least fool itself into believing or the team would give up before or early in the season and the gate would be affected.

So to is the case now, except the decision on whether to toss off a season of marginal investments to gain 3 or 4 wins in favor of longer term rebuilding that builds an SB winner means ditching this season being over a decade since our last SB berth and even 6 years of failing to make the playoffs.

The businees simply cannot afford to win a few more games as fast as it can and potentially luck into the playoffs rather than discard this season to focus on building for the future.

I am not arguing that chalking up this season as a lost cause or focusing on a bigger gain down the line rather than a few more wins this year is irrational or even a bad idea.

I just think that given the ages of Ralph and Marv and the business requirements of our society, the Bills certainly cannot say or even give the impression of writing off this season for the long term gain.

One need look no farter than Marv's own book Right Here, Right Now in which he simply says flat out that an HC building for the future is essentially building for the next HC.

It is quite doubtful to any logical observer (not that us fans are logical) that the Bills will make the playoffs this year, but I am pretty convinced that Marv and the team will try to win now and make that a clear priority over building on even a very fast three year rational plan.

Answers:

1.) No. They're not planning on anything other than playing one opponent each week for 17 consecutive weeks with one week off at the end of October (spooky huh?). Their cumulative won/lost record for those 17 weeks and those of their divisional opponents will automatically determine if they will be contenders or pretenders.

2.) You've given up on the season already? I told you, they play the games once a week, one opponent at a time.

3.) Oh. You haven't quite given up then. You think they are planning on competing and actually winning a lot of games! Wow!

4.) Which attitude is that? That you think we have management that's unsure about their resolve to win the division? Or, that of "fans" who understand that doing that is not a realistic possibility but are unclear that management sees it the same way? Or, is it the attitude you think they have in spite of the improbability of it all- of planning on competing and winning a lot of games?

741375[/snapback]

Ummmmmmm.....To answer all those questions in one sentence, I think they are trying to win now and feel they can win now. I also like the Tim the Enchanter bit, too. It's the fiercest little rodent you've ever seen, with great big pointy teeth! :doh: