Bills pre-season record?

Just Jack

What will the Bills pre-season record be?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Bills pre-season record be?

• 0 - 4 (it's only pre-season so who cares)
    • 1 - 3
    • 2 - 2
    • 3 - 1
    • 4 - 0 (We're going to the Superbowl!)

0-4 (but 19-0 after that!)

I disagree with the premise - we were 0-4 in 1990 and went to the Superbowl.

741267[/snapback]

There's always a few people that view a winning record in the pre-season as a clue to how the regular season will go. Maybe Lori can give us some stats on how the pre-season record was versus regular season these past few years.

With the Grand Master of Club Marv back in town the big money should be on 0-4. :devil:

In spite of what the W/L record is come September what I hope we get to see (or in my case hear) is a lot of very hungry talented guys proving themselves on the field.

There's always a few people that view a winning record in the pre-season as a clue to how the regular season will go. Maybe Lori can give us some stats on how the pre-season record was versus regular season these past few years.

741276[/snapback]

Well...I can wait for Lori no longer - I must head out to Angola to tan my fat - so I dug up some stats myself...

Regular Season results for teams finishing the Pre-Season winless (since 1988):

Regular Season Records

Winning Record - 5

.500 Record - 6

Losing Record - 20

Playoff Result

Lost Super Bowl - 2

Made Playoffs - 2

Missed Playoffs - 27

(Interestingly enough, while 2 teams that were winless in the preseason went on to lose in the Superbowl, no "pre-season winless team" has won a Superbowl.)

Win-less Pre-Season

I was always of the mindset that the primary goal of a coach during preseason is not necessarily to win the game, but to get ready to win in the regular season. The Bills posted one of the best records in the AFC in the early 90's during regular season - but one of the most dismal preseason records in the NFL. Marv was notorious for shrugging off preseason games.

(Of course, back then our starting players were - for the most part - already determined even before exhibition season began and Marv saw no reason to risk injuries. Instead, he used the preseason looking at new people to build depth.)

But you are correct, JIS - pre-season success is more of an indicator of success than I thought...

Pre-Season Success = Regular Season Success

So I will head to Mickey Rats (with my spear and net) to watch the game, and hope we win while avoiding injury and getting a good look at our depth chart.

GO BILLS!!!!