V-coach

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as JP starts the regular season, I couldn't care less who starts against the Panthers.

740461[/snapback]

Looks like he'll at least start Weeks 2 & 4 of the pre-season. B-)

Anyway you spin it, this is not a positive sign for JP.

He needs to really light it up, the time is now.

740469[/snapback]

Untrue. How can you have a competition end before there are any games? They want it to both be and appear to be an open competition. If they start JP the competition is over because he would have leapfrogged KH on the depth chart. They don't want that until the games are played. That's why they also said JP will start next week. I fully expect them to name JP the starter before the third pre-season game but they really can't do it now.

Untrue. How can you have a competition end before there are any games? They want it to both be and appear to be an open competition. If they start JP the competition is over because he would have leapfrogged KH on the depth chart. They don't want that until the games are played. That's why they also said JP will start next week. I fully expect them to name JP the starter before the third pre-season game but they really can't do it now.

740474[/snapback]

Weak spin. Bottom line is he's not starting on Saturday. If he was #1, he would be. Like I said, time for him to light it up.

1st Pre Season Game and The Panthers D is NASTY...

DJ is protecting JP IMHO...

No need to throw Him to The Lions...er...Panthers yet...

Though I do agree with Rico...IF JP was the clear cut #1 he would be Starting... B-)

740478[/snapback]

He played against them in the regular season last year though, KOK...

That, plus this OL & the O is supposed to be upgraded, I see no need to protect him.

I think that its all part of the plan.

First off, as people have mentioned many times before, the Panthers Defense is one of the best in the league. It doesn't make sense to have JP's confidence shot like Josh Reed's was against the Patriots. Hold the kid back and let him gain some confidence in his receivers.

Also, there is something that you guys are ignoring and that is that first string in pre season never gets the same amount of time as the second string. So not only will Losman be playing less talented players; but he will also be playing for a longer period of time. Thus this enables him to feel comfortable in trying to create a play in a quarter or half, as opposed to playing him for three posessions, in an attempt to win the starting job.

When you limit how much time the individual has to win something, they are going to get desperate, and i think DJ is trying to calm him down and not put him under the pressure of trying to win the starting job in less time than he needs.

Good for JP. The first team Panthers defense is pretty good. Hate to see the kid get roughed up.

740413[/snapback]

yeah, let the Holcomb get beat up. I think it's safe to say JP will be the starting Qb. Jauron is just playing it safe. He knows that the Panthers will play their starter in the first quarter, so he's letting JP go up against a backup filled defense. However, I will be VERY surprised if JP throws and interception in his first game. If he does, we'll then he'll REALLY need to show us that he can be the starter. He'll be intercepted by a backup defense for crying out loud. But I highly doubt he will.

What if Nall starts game 3 cause JP started game 2?  B-)

740489[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens at all. I don't think they'll name a starter for the season until after the 3rd pre-season game. Hopefully they at least narrow it down to two after the second, otherwise the eventual starter isn't going to get many reps in camp.

I don't think this is surprising at all given that Holcomb is first on the depth chart due to his ending last season when we were playing real games as the best performer at QB on the team.

JP has certainly proven to be a better peformer in the 1st week of camp practice, but one of the most refeshing changes with the Bills of life without TD running things is that now performance on the field against real opponents is going to weigh heavily in the coach's decision about who is the #1 QB for the Bills,

I think the most surprising thing about this is how many TSW folks seem happy to return to the days of TD when the front office made these decisions based on what they thought without or even regardless of input of on the field performance.

I think ultimately JP will win the job as the difficult thing he needs to do is actually to press less and try to do less on the field on his own, rather than the usually impossible task of doing more when you are already doing as much as you can.

However, as JP said last year, wionning the starting job as he did over Bledsoe from some front office assessment of how the players practiced rather than on the field is the wrong way to win the job,

Fortunately the Bills braintrust is ignoring fans such as many here on TSW and instead requiring JP to win the job on the field.

Weak spin. Bottom line is he's not starting on Saturday. If he was #1, he would be. Like I said, time for him to light it up.

740475[/snapback]

I disagree, and thing KtFaUD has it dead right. Personally, I believe Jauron, Levy, and Fairchild (yes, I think he has a lot of input here) just wanted to see that JP had improved over the first couple weeks of training camp and have their minds made up. There has not been SO wide a gap in camp performance that they can justify JP leapfrogging KH, however, so they let KH start the 1st game, JP the second, and "hope" that their respective performances make the decision a clear one that the PLAYERS will not question. I know they don't care what the fans think -- remember, it is Levy who uttered the infamous line "if you start listening to the fans, you'll wind up sitting next to them in the stadium" or something to that effect.

It makes a lot of sense to have KH start this game -- against one of the league's better defenses -- while JP gets the start against the Cincinnati Criminals next week.

As long as JP doesn't screw the pooch, you'll hear an announcement during the week leading up to Game 3 that JP is our man heading into the regular season.

Dick Jauron's senority comments could have been taken either way. Losman holds the senority on the team while Holcumb holds league senority.

Just a strange way of looking at it offered up by someone who has been up for 48 hours.

Ah, yes...the first week of August.  Time to start my annual ritual:

It's PRESEASON, people!

Who cares if Holcomb's starting?

740436[/snapback]

were dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmed

not sure I understand the logic of starting the older and more senior guy but I am nit the head coach nor have I seen any of the camp performances to date.

740469[/snapback]

Started to bite, as you seem to prefer watching the instigators moreso than being one, but then I remembered the words of Dana Carvey as George Bush Sr. "Ain't gonna do it. Not gonna happen."

740474[/snapback]

I agree, this was the best way for them to go as far as these first two games are concerned. I actually think this is in JP's favor as Carolina's first team defense can be nasty. I would think by the third preseason game, they will need to start giving all the reps to the starter. The only reason they might wait is that they won't want to name a starter and then have that guy get outplayed in the last two preseason games.

I think the way Jauron handles this will tell us a lot about whether he has the management skills of a top notch head coach. It has to be a pretty delicate situation and the last thing he needs is to have the starter's confidence undercut even before the season starts.