V-coach

Jauron's just keeping up appearances.  If he started JP, he'd be tipping his hand.  The key game is pre-season game 3.  Whoever starts THAT game is THE starter.

740485[/snapback]

All this speculation is fun but - just my opinion - whoever starts September 10th against New England is THE starter.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its certainly curious, but hey its too early to be reading any great strategy into it. Maybe KH is catching on to the offense quicker. Anyway, even though I'm not a KH fan, if he is performing considerably better than JP, I can see starting him. Kind of puts the JP evaluation program in a continuing limbo though.

Its certainly curious, but hey its too early to be reading any great strategy into it. Maybe KH is catching on to the offense quicker. Anyway, even though I'm not a KH fan, if he is performing considerably better than JP, I can see starting him.  Kind of puts the JP evaluation program in a continuing limbo though.

740668[/snapback]

Actually just the opposite. KH just said that he is having trouble picking up the offense. And almost all reports say JP having a slightly better camp. It is very likely, however, as could easily be predicted, that KH shows a lot of things better than Losman and Losman shows a lot of things better than Holcomb and Jauron has to weigh which set of pros and cons is a better fit for the team, offense, defense, in both long and short term. That, to me, says Losman.

Kelly Holcomb will start our first pre-season game vs. Carolina this week. Jauron said Losman will start next week's game, they'll evaluate, and go from there. I think it's funny that KH is gettin dropped in as starter against possibly the NFL's best D. He'll likely play a quarter (If he survives), Losman the 2nd, and then the rest.

I think that its all part of the plan.

First off, as people have mentioned many times before, the Panthers Defense is one of the best in the league. It doesn't make sense to have JP's confidence shot like Josh Reed's was against the Patriots. Hold the kid back and let him gain some confidence in his receivers.

Also, there is something that you guys are ignoring and that is that first string in pre season never gets the same amount of time as the second string. So not only will Losman be playing less talented players; but he will also be playing for a longer period of time. Thus this enables him to feel comfortable in trying to create a play in a quarter or half, as opposed to playing him for three posessions, in an attempt to win the starting job.

When you limit how much time the individual has to win something, they are going to get desperate, and i think DJ is trying to calm him down and not put him under the pressure of trying to win the starting job in less time than he needs.

740494[/snapback]

good post. that makes a lot of sense.

Kelly Holcomb will start our first pre-season game vs. Carolina this week. Jauron said Losman will start next week's game, they'll evaluate, and go from there. I think it's funny that KH is gettin dropped in as starter against possibly the NFL's best D. He'll likely play a quarter (If he survives), Losman the 2nd, and then the rest.

740771[/snapback]

If he survives!

That's DJ's logic. Put Holcomb in against a D that he hopes answers the question for him.

Should we take up a collection for flowers? B-)

740771[/snapback]

That's exactly what I said before in this thread. B-)

Maybe they'll start Kelly with the 2nd team offense first against the first string D....because they want to kill him  :devil:

740991[/snapback]

Now this is the kind of brilliance i expect from this board. God dammit, i think you hit it right on the head.

Now this is the kind of brilliance i expect from this board. God dammit, i think you hit it right on the head.

740993[/snapback]

Why Thank you :devil: Besides can't you just imagine "JP now's the time to step up, we didn't realize those 15 sacks would injure Kelly, it's up to you man!" :D

Nall who? :D

Why Thank you  :devil:  Besides can't you just imagine "JP now's the time to step up, we didn't realize those 15 sacks would injure Kelly, it's up to you man!"  :D

Nall who?  :D

741005[/snapback]

If half of your fan base is routing for him, you can't cut him. There would be an outrage. Instead make his departure spur from an accident.

Once again i must commend you on your outlook on the current situation.

This is completely hypothetical.

Say KH lights up this "nasty" Carolina D by going 8/9 for 145 yds and 2 TDs: Will people start calling for KH to start, or do you think JP should still get the nod?

741027[/snapback]

Bottom line is that Holcumb gives us the best chance to win a lot of games this season. And by a lot i mean probably somewhere in the vacinity of 6-8 games. Losman has more upside, there is no question about it and hopefully he works out.

The question you have to ask yourself is this...

Would you rather sit on the dock and catch sun fish all day because it is the quickest and easiest way to catch a couple small fish, or would you get in the boat and take a long trip out to the middle of the lake to catch the big fish?

If Holcumb does succeed in this preseason game he will have some great tape to show front offices around the league. :devil:

Bottom line is that Holcumb gives us the best chance to win a lot of games this season. And by a lot i mean probably somewhere in the vacinity of 6-8 games. Losman has more upside, there is no question about it and hopefully he works out.

The question you have to ask yourself is this...

Would you rather sit on the dock and catch sun fish all day because it is the quickest and easiest way to catch a couple small fish, or would you get in the boat and take a long trip out to the middle of the lake to catch the big fish?

If Holcumb does succeed in this preseason game he will have some great tape to show front offices around the league. :devil:

741028[/snapback]

Everybody here says that Carolina has arguably, one of the best Defenses in the NFL. If KH lights it up and clearly outperforms the 1st team Carolina D, I think that maybe he should start. The FO has clearly said on numerous occasions, along with veterans, that we are not rebuilding. If KH gives us a chance to make it to the playoffs this year, I think management, and the coaching staff would stick with KH regardless of JP's upside.

Everybody here says that Carolina has arguably, one of the best Defenses in the NFL.  If KH lights it up and clearly outperforms the 1st team Carolina D, I think that maybe he should start.  The FO has clearly said on numerous occasions, along with veterans, that we are not rebuilding.  If KH gives us a chance to make it to the playoffs this year, I think management, and the coaching staff would stick with KH regardless of JP's upside.

741043[/snapback]

Actually, no. The pre-season really isn't going to tell us much about who should start either. Wther KH or JP light it up or fall on their face in these games, against the starters or back-ups, it really has little bearing on what they will play like in the regular season with real bullets under real pressure with real high stakes. We do pretty much know what we're going to get with Kelly and it's fairly decent. We don't know what we're going to get with JP but it's very likely worse or better and perhaps far better. But the pre-season won't tell us that at all. It's another in an endless series of reasons the QB competition is a charade.