Scotty Bowman was at the Bills practice

Peter

What do Scotty and Marv have in common?  They never won a title in Buffalo.  Bowman chaps my ass, he won literally everywhere else he went.  Good move forcing him out for Rick Dudley...

740232[/snapback]

Marv was the coach for the AFC CHAMPION 4 years in a row.

What do Scotty and Marv have in common?  They never won a title in Buffalo.  Bowman chaps my ass, he won literally everywhere else he went.  Good move forcing him out for Rick Dudley...

740232[/snapback]

I may be wrong, but wasn't Buffalo the only place where Bowman went, where he had complete control as GM and coach? I know he flip-flopped between both positions, but he was the one calling all of the shots, on and off the ice, for most of his tenure in Buffalo...am I right?

I still (kind of) remember a game early in Barassos career, against the Rangers I think, where the Sabres were playing like crap...but they were still only down like 2-1 in the final minutes. Bowman pulled Barasso for the extra attacker, and the Sabres got an empty netter scored on them. With almost two minutes left, now down by two, they let another empty-netter in...down by three, about a minute left, playing like crap, most coaches would put the goalie back in...not Scotty...he left the net empty, and another goal was scored. IIRC, the Sabres, after being down only 2-1 with rougly two minutes left, ended up losing 5-1...Scotty said his team needed to be embarrassed....

I may be wrong, but wasn't Buffalo the only place where Bowman went, where he had complete control as GM and coach?  I know he flip-flopped between both positions, but he was the one calling all of the shots, on and off the ice, for most of his tenure in Buffalo...am I right? 

I still (kind of)  remember a game early in Barassos career, against the Rangers I think, where the Sabres were playing like crap...but they were still only down like 2-1 in the final minutes.  Bowman pulled Barasso for the extra attacker, and the Sabres got an empty netter scored on them.  With almost two minutes left, now down by two, they let another empty-netter in...down by three, about a minute left, playing like crap, most coaches would put the goalie back in...not Scotty...he left the net empty, and another goal was scored.  IIRC, the Sabres, after being down only 2-1 with rougly two minutes left, ended up losing 5-1...Scotty said his team needed to be embarrassed....

740250[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. Bowman left MTL in a conflict with the GM, and the Knoxes offered him total control of the team. He took the team to the semi-finals his first season (79-80), then proceeded to use his power to play yo-yo with coaches and draft Jiri Dudacek from Czechoslovakia.... After the left BUF, no one gave him that sort of power again, he was able to concentrate on coaching, and won a few more cups.... Sigh.

I see great parallels between Bowman and TD; both came in with high expectations, were given total control, and both shat the bed in Buffalo.