Sabres to walk away from Dumont

millbank

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would've thought it smart for the Sabres to accept the award and then try to trade him alone or bundle him with others in a trade. They may not have gotten a good feel for the market demand for Dumont, because no teams wanted to offer anything when there's a decent chance the Sabres wouldn't accept. If they accepted, it would force other teams to make an offer.

However, I can definitely understand the Sabres declining Dumont's salary. The team's payroll is already higher than I'm sure they anticipated, and Darcy is already saddled with one contract that he doesn't want (Biron) and one that was much larger than they hoped (Briere.)

It will be interesting to see what JP signs for on the open market. Even if the Sabres accepted and then got 'ripped off' in a trade by sending him somewhere else for a 4th round draft pick, that would've been better than letting him walk and receiving nothing in return. Like I said, with the payroll where it is, I can understand the apprehension of taking on a salary they feel is too large, even if they had every intention of moving him.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision to walk on the arbitrator's decision, but it just sucks to see a good team dismantled like this.  However, I'll trust what management does for a while based on their success last year.

738384[/snapback]

This is a HUGE misconception. The core of this team is very much intact. Nothing has been dismantled. You're telling me they're really going to miss Grier and Pyatt??? Come on. Adam Mair will do both of their jobs ten-fold. Granted, McKee would've been nice to keep, but sorry, not at that price. Good for him, it was his last big contract, and now he's set for life. I'm just glad it's not counting against our cap. Dumont would be nice to keep, too...But again, with the glut of forwards on this team, he is expendable. If the contract doesn't fit our needs, bye bye.

Who else have they lost in this dismantling you speak of???

Darcy on WGR now (3:10 Pm)  says he has offered JP Dumont a contract , who knows its possible he very well may still be a  Sabre once he sees whats out there.

738403[/snapback]

I'm sure dave will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to re-sign him.

I'm sure dave will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to re-sign him.

738406[/snapback]

Well for goodness sake what on earth did Darcy say this for, come on now. Good grief.

Some of you do need settle down... JP is now a free agent, he may sign with who ever he wishes .

I would've thought it smart for the Sabres to accept the award and then try to trade him alone or bundle him with others in a trade.  They may not have gotten a good feel for the market demand for Dumont, because no teams wanted to offer anything when there's a decent chance the Sabres wouldn't accept.  If they accepted, it would force other teams to make an offer.

However, I can definitely understand the Sabres declining Dumont's salary.  The team's payroll is already higher than I'm sure they anticipated, and Darcy is already saddled with one contract that he doesn't want (Biron) and one that was much larger than they hoped (Briere.)

It will be interesting to see what JP signs for on the open market.  Even if the Sabres accepted and then got 'ripped off' in a trade by sending him somewhere else for a 4th round draft pick, that would've been better than letting him walk and receiving nothing in return.  Like I said, with the payroll where it is, I can understand the apprehension of taking on a salary they feel is too large, even if they had every intention of moving him.

738392[/snapback]

Even though JP is a better player, I think with that salary he would've been the untradable hockey version of Pat Burrell.

I would've thought it smart for the Sabres to accept the award and then try to trade him alone or bundle him with others in a trade.  They may not have gotten a good feel for the market demand for Dumont, because no teams wanted to offer anything when there's a decent chance the Sabres wouldn't accept.  If they accepted, it would force other teams to make an offer.

However, I can definitely understand the Sabres declining Dumont's salary.  The team's payroll is already higher than I'm sure they anticipated, and Darcy is already saddled with one contract that he doesn't want (Biron) and one that was much larger than they hoped (Briere.)

It will be interesting to see what JP signs for on the open market.  Even if the Sabres accepted and then got 'ripped off' in a trade by sending him somewhere else for a 4th round draft pick, that would've been better than letting him walk and receiving nothing in return.  Like I said, with the payroll where it is, I can understand the apprehension of taking on a salary they feel is too large, even if they had every intention of moving him.

738392[/snapback]

They probably did try to trade him before they walked away from him.

Doubt many teams would want him knowing that the Sabres would walk away and they could get him at the same salary or cheaper without giving up anything.

Well for goodness sake what on earth did Darcy say this for, come on now.  Good grief.

Some of you do need settle down... JP is now a free agent, he may sign with who ever he wishes .

738407[/snapback]

I just did a quick look through the CBA and there is nothing about this, so I guess I was thinking about MLB.

The one interesting thing I did read is that the teams are only allowed to walk away from a certain number of contracts. It really had no effect on the Sabres, but since they had 3 contracts awarded in arbitration, they could only walk away from two of them at most.

I just did a quick look through the CBA and there is nothing about this, so I guess I was thinking about MLB.

The one interesting thing I did read is that the teams are only allowed to walk away from a certain number of contracts.  It really had no effect on the Sabres, but since they had 3 contracts awarded in arbitration, they could only walk away from two of them at most.

738450[/snapback]

I sent spector a question about this when I was reporting what the Sabres were doing, and he kindly replied with the answer:

Chris,

Yes, it's allowed. He's a UFA but the Sabres can still try to re-sign him.

They just don't have exclusive rights to him anymore.

Cheers,

Lyle Richardson

Spector's Hockey

www.spectorshockey.net

I sent spector a question about this when I was reporting what the Sabres were doing, and he kindly replied with the answer:

738523[/snapback]

It's such a complex document. It's hard to keep track of all the rules. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that they are allowed to re-sign him now. Obviously there are some obstacles, but in theory, I team could reject the arbitration results in order to work around that rule where they can't renegotiate/extend the contract until January.

I would've thought it smart for the Sabres to accept the award and then try to trade him alone or bundle him with others in a trade.

738392[/snapback]

It's tough to trade a guy when the other team knows you have to cut him for $$$ reasons. That's why walking away from Dumont is all they could do.

PTR

It's tough to trade a guy when the other team knows you have to cut him for $$$ reasons.  That's why walking away from Dumont is all they could do.

PTR

738552[/snapback]

I'm not one to complain about Darcy but have a gripe about this move. As I would have shipped Ales Kotalik and kept JP. As Kotalik is set to make about $600k less than JP was awarded. I know Kotalik great from the point on the PP and offers a right hand shot which we lack but yet to me Dumont is a better goal scorer and overall player and worth the extra cash.