ESPN and more of their ridiculous stats

Ramius

First it was ESPN and their "hits" stats for the return of the holy one last year. Now one of their peons has come up with a "bad decision matrix" to determine "bad decision percentage" of a QB. :angry:

Apparently, bad decisons by QB's are based on 4 things.

1. Forcing a pass into coverage

2. Staring at a receiver

3. Throwing the ball despite being tackled

4. Misreading a zone defense and not seeing a defender in the passing lane.

Somehow, one can see all of these things on any given play, and also read the QB's mind. Whats the point of wasting time coming up with ridiculous stats like this that have no basis whatsoever? Most of these are simple judgement calls. :doh:

Bad Decision %

Bad Decision Matrix

I know they are insider, but you can read enough of the article to get the gist.

First it was ESPN and their "hits" stats for the return of the holy one last year. Now one of their peons has come up with a "bad decision matrix" to determine "bad decision percentage" of a QB. :angry:

2. Staring at a receiver

Somehow, one can see all of these things on any given play, and also read the QB's mind. Whats the point of wasting time coming up with ridiculous stats like this that have no basis whatsoever? Most of these are simple judgement calls. :doh:

Bad Decision %

Bad Decision Matrix

I know they are insider, but you can read enough of the article to get the gist.

738323[/snapback]

:huh::o

I can think of a friend of mine who would rank very low in the Bad Decision Percentage if it measured going out and hooking up with nasty chicks.

Bad decisions by my friend are based on 4 things:

1. Alcohol intake

2. Staring at any visible cleavage (even if she's fat)

3. Making out in the bar

4. Alcohol intake

This is just another silly thing that ESPN is trying to do. Pulling meaningless stats out of their a$$ is just the start.

Did anyone see their coverage of the White Sox/Angels last night? The CF camera was positioned so that their advertisement display behind home plate was in full view, while the pitcher/hitter/catcher/ump were all on the right half of the screen. Maybe that's an HD thing (which I don't have), but it was quite irritating.

Funny how out of the "good decision makers" they list only one, Brady, has a SB ring while the other two have more or less put up only average numbers for scores in their careers on a per season basis whereas the "bad decision makers" have all won a SB or played in one with the exception of Brooks.

Now I understand the reason for this post. Some of you guys are upset with any metrics which show that DB is a good QB and JP is not so good.

With any luck, JP will make better decisions this year and be the QB the former Bills brain trust thought that he would be.

2. Staring at a receiver

738323[/snapback]

Where's riding a motorcycle without a helmet on that list?

(Mario Lopez + Stu Scott) / (Bonds on Bonds) = (Chris Berman's comb-over)^2

739159[/snapback]

ESPN has turned into a sad charachature of itself......all the catch phrases, poker, darts, lies, etc.......its more along the lines of sports entertainment...maybe Vince McMahon should step in