Dave Wannstedt was right...

When Dave Wannstedt took over the Dolphins there was a opening for the starting QB job. Day in and day out Jay Fiedler proved to be the better QB in practice over Damon Huard. Jay Fiedler got hurt and finally returned for the last pre-season game. He performed horribly in that game and all the Fins fans called for Damon Huard to be the starter. Dave didn't go for that and made Jay Fiedler the starter.

Don't get me wrong, Jay Fiedler isn't a great QB, but he was the best the Dolphins had and the decision turned out to be a good one.

My point is this, we shouldn't over emphasis the exhibition games. There are far too many variables to truly judge the QB. For example, QB1 starts against a very good Carolina first string defense and struggles. QB2 faces the second stringers and lights it up. That isn't the same thing. Even if QB2 starts game 2 and does well against their first string defense, that still doesn't prove anything. Team 2's starting defense may not be as good as Carolina's.

The only real true way to assess the best QB for this team is to take everything into account. Every rep, every exhibition, intangibles, ability, arm strength, vision etc etc. DJ and staff have their work cut out for them.

My point is this. If you support a particular QB and that QB shines in the Preseason, don't get your hopes up too high, you might be let down.

My point is this. If you support a particular QB and that QB shines in the Preseason, don't get your hopes up too high, you might be let down.

738274[/snapback]

So since i am a JP supporter, i should be rooting for him to suck? :angry:

When Dave Wannstedt took over the Dolphins there was a opening for the starting QB job. Day in and day out Jay Fiedler proved to be the better QB in practice over Damon Huard. Jay Fiedler got hurt and finally returned for the last pre-season game. He performed horribly in that game and all the Fins fans called for Damon Huard to be the starter. Dave didn't go for that and made Jay Fiedler the starter.

Don't get me wrong, Jay Fiedler isn't a great QB, but he was the best the Dolphins had and the decision turned out to be a good one.

My point is this, we shouldn't over emphasis the exhibition games. There are far too many variables to truly judge the QB. For example, QB1 starts against a very good Carolina first string defense and struggles. QB2 faces the second stringers and lights it up. That isn't the same thing. Even if QB2 starts game 2 and does well against their first string defense, that still doesn't prove anything. Team 2's starting defense may not be as good as Carolina's.

The only real true way to assess the best QB for this team is to take everything into account. Every rep, every exhibition, intangibles, ability, arm strength, vision etc etc. DJ and staff have their work cut out for them.

738274[/snapback]

Historically, pre-season game #3 is the one that features the starters.

But for this Bills team - ostensibly introducing a new offensive and defensive scheme -I'd like to see them establish the starting team sooner than later. Especially the QB.

Whoever he may be, I want to see a ton of snaps. If this current staff at this late date has no idea who's who, I believe we are sunk.

If they can't judge the talent of their own - several qb's with track records now, what will they be able to plan against, over a 16 game season of opposing QB's ?

IMO, time to get off the pot and make decisions. No B*lls, No glory.

BTW, Wannie wasn't a great coach, but he wasn't close to being a bum, either. IMO.

Edited by stuckincincy

The difference is that both Fiedler and Huard entered the NFL in 1998.  Holcomb is a 10-year vet and JP is a 3rd year vet.  For Holcomb to get the starting nod, JP would have to be significantly worse than Holcomb, because there IS no upside with Holcomb.

738308[/snapback]

That's the funniest thing about the folks who prefer Holcomb because "he gives us the best chance to win now." Holcomb isn't going to get any better. But JP will...or at least might.

It reminds me of the old joke about the really ugly dude who runs into a really fat dude and says "Man, I can't believe how fat you are," to which the fat dude responds, "I may be fat, but you're ugly, and tomorrow I can go on a diet."

Holcomb is ugly. You can't fix ugly.

So since i am a JP supporter, i should be rooting for him to suck?  :angry:

738281[/snapback]

How in the world did you come to that conclusion? I just said, "Don't get your hopes up too much because you might get let down".

I too, am a JPL supporter. I hope he kicks azz everyday. Practice, preseason, whatever.

Anything that you don't have full control of.

738391[/snapback]

I can see where that logic applies to bowel movements, but I'm not sure about a football quarterback.

I'd rather expect great things and suffer the disappointment than hide in a shell and wait for the random tidbit of joy. The more you embrace the possibilities of greatness, the easier it is to find them.

Nah, simply jump up and down with glee at whatever decision is made.

738408[/snapback]

Not if Holcomb is named the starter.

If JP is named starter, i would normally high five my buddy, but i dont want to be accused of being immature.

I can see where that logic applies to bowel movements, but I'm not sure about a football quarterback.

I'd rather expect great things and suffer the disappointment than hide in a shell and wait for the random tidbit of joy. The more you embrace the possibilities of greatness, the easier it is to find them.

738396[/snapback]

Either way, you'll still be waiting. Unless you plan on suiting up for the Bills and control your own destiny. Until then you can't do anything else but wait.

If JP is named starter, i would normally high five my buddy, but i dont want to be accused of being immature.

738416[/snapback]

And what if Holcomb IS named the starter? I'm sure you won't be too happy, but as a Bills fan, you'll have to accept it.

738416[/snapback]

LOL! :huh::doh:

High five him as much as you want. Grow your hair while you are at it and run around like a chicken without a head, and shout at veteran fans in a seemingly incoherent manner as well. :o

Seriously, I truly hope that JP shows enough to be named the starter, and I expect this to happen. I also feel that as a Bills Fan, I have the right to expect more maturity from him in year 3. I know that this was not the most loving thing to say, and I hope it sits well. :angry:

Few things would be better for the franchise at this point than for JP to make the transformation into a quarterback who is not the horror show that we have seen. He has the size, arm, and mobility to be a good quarterback. I don't think anybody would dispute this.

What I plan to do is watch him, and form an opinion. Last time I looked, Bills Fans were allowed to have opinions that don't specifically coincide with yours. I am thinking that it is also OK to question management at times and still be a fan, especially after a slew of losing seasons.

Either way, I can't wait for the season. We got our plane tickets yesterday, and the seats/hotel reservations are all set for 10/22, vs. the Patriots. This will be our 13th consecutive year of attending a game in WNY, a region which I enjoy more with every trip.

Do you attend games? If so, send me a PM. Hang out with us at 1/5 and then let us know if you think we are "true fans." The beers (a varied selection) will be on us.

And what if Holcomb IS named the starter? I'm sure you won't be too happy, but as a Bills fan, you'll have to accept it.

738431[/snapback]

Sure i'll still be a bills fan and watch the games and root for them, but i realize, as do others, that if KH starts, this team is continuing to go in an ass-backwards direction. If KH starts, we can kiss the playoffs good bye even longer.

Sure i'll still be a bills fan and watch the games and root for them, but i realize, as do others, that if KH starts, this team is continuing to go in an ass-backwards direction. 

738455[/snapback]

That is the way I feel while watching the Bills build a football team starting with the secondary. The difference is, I feel that you are welcome to your opinion.

That is the way I feel while watching the Bills build a football team starting with the secondary. The difference is, I feel that you are welcome to your opinion.

738460[/snapback]

You mean because they didn't spend any picks on OLinemen early in this draft? I'll reserve judgement on that until I see a couple of linemen we could have had develop into something.

Justice looked like crap in his first action.

738460[/snapback]

You are welcome to your opinion as well. Even it may not show, I like discussing football with you, because you bring a lot of knowledge to the table. But a lot of times, all i see is "whitner sucks because hes 5'11, and hes SMALL., and Marv is going to draft a CB in the first round next year"

I'm not saying to agree or like everything the bills do. But instead of repeatedly trashing and harping on the exact same subject, try a discussion, and try to see where the other side is coming from. (like how safeties have become a vital part of a defense) I know a level headed discussion is near impossible on the reatrd roller coaster that is TBD, but even if 2 or 3 of us can have one, it will make things worthwhile.