Hot Topics for '06 CFB season

smokinandjokin

Who's hot / who's not in '06

I can't wait for this action:

738169[/snapback]

I read the list...some good stuff.

About the hot matchups, I totally agree...there are some sick saturdays lined up. I made the comment last year that it was nice to see a bunch of marquee matchups in the FIRST few weeks of the season as opposed to scattering in around week 5. It really adds to the excitement when week 2 could be a do or die for a NATL title contender. Last year's Texas-OSU (and the repeat this year) was incredible for week 2 action.

I like what the NCAA is doing and I hope this is a trend that continues.

I read the list...some good stuff.

About the hot matchups, I totally agree...there are some sick saturdays lined up.  I made the comment last year that it was nice to see a bunch of marquee matchups in the FIRST few weeks of the season as opposed to scattering in around week 5.  It really adds to the excitement when week 2 could be a do or die for a NATL title contender.  Last year's Texas-OSU (and the repeat this year) was incredible for week 2 action.

I like what the NCAA is doing and I hope this is a trend that continues.

738174[/snapback]

Strength of schedule is one by-product of the BCS computer rankings that actually helped the sport. You could also argue that the BCS has had a hand in teams scheduling some tough non-conference games early on. The schools have noticed that you can go 11-1, but that one loss is viewed drastically differently by the voters when it is the 2nd game of the season rather than the 11th game of the season. A one-loss team that lost early and then ran off 9 or 10 straight wins can find itself back in the national title picture, while a team that starts 9-0 and then loses late is typically left for dead by the voters.

In the end, I could be wrong, the BCS may have nothing to do with it. It may just be coaches wanting their teams to be battle tested before conference play starts. And I'm sure the money the schools bring in from marquee matchups has a big effect as well. Anyways, whatever the reasoning, I agree Bart it has made for some great matchups early in the season.

Ohio State is a real good example of this. The Texas game last year was great, and it should be another good one this year. In 2008 and 2009, they will play a home-and-home with USC in Week 2 of each season. Hopefully other schools follow suit!

The schools have noticed that you can go 11-1, but that one loss is viewed drastically differently by the voters when it is the 2nd game of the season rather than the 11th game of the season.  A one-loss team that lost early and then ran off 9 or 10 straight wins can find itself back in the national title picture, while a team that starts 9-0 and then loses late is typically left for dead by the voters.

739381[/snapback]

I for one hate this !@#$ing rule. Who cares when you lost your damn game? two 11-1 teams should be compared on WHO they beat and WHO they lost to, not WHEN they lost their game. the polls are sooo !@#$ with their logic.

Its the whole reason why FSU-Miami is the season opener for both teams. Whichever loses will still have a shot at the end of the season. Sure we'd all rather see FSU-Miami in late november for the ACC title, but whoever lost would be screwed.

I find it hilarious how the same loss to the same team should mean MORE if it happens in november as opposed ot septembet. !@#$in NCAA.

I for one hate this !@#$ing rule. Who cares when you lost your damn game? two 11-1 teams should be compared on WHO they beat and WHO they lost to, not WHEN they lost their game. the polls are sooo !@#$ with their logic.

Its the whole reason why FSU-Miami is the season opener for both teams. Whichever loses will still have a shot at the end of the season. Sure we'd all rather see FSU-Miami in late november for the ACC title, but whoever lost would be screwed.

I find it hilarious how the same loss to the same team should mean MORE if it happens in november as opposed ot septembet. !@#$in NCAA.

739913[/snapback]

The voting logic is definitely !@#$, you'll find nobody who disputes that. I guess the only applicable logic would be that the team who lost early is now peaking, while the team who lost last week is showing cracks in the armour. Another explanation could be that the team that lost early on had a young ___________ (insert player here) who is now playing like a savvy veteran rather then the scared freshman he was ten games ago.

I agree, all b.s. and they should be ranked on their full body of work. But if it does result in some solid week 1 & 2 matchups, I'm all for it. I know Miami can beat Ball State 73-7...I don't need to see that crap.

The voting logic is definitely !@#$, you'll find nobody who disputes that.  I guess the only applicable logic would be that the team who lost early is now peaking, while the team who lost last week is showing cracks in the armour.  Another explanation could be that the team that lost early on had a young ___________ (insert player here) who is now playing like a savvy veteran rather then the scared freshman he was ten games ago.

I agree, all b.s. and they should be ranked on their full body of work.  But if it does result in some solid week 1 & 2 matchups, I'm all for it.  I know Miami can beat Ball State 73-7...I don't need to see that crap.

739932[/snapback]

Preach on brotherman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.