Interview with JP

Let me start by saying I have never seen an interview with JP that I would call "standard" (that is, a normal-sounding interview with the "classic" responses to obvious questions).

As I watched it, I began to think about how in my 36 years of following the Bills (I am not counting my 0-8 years!), there have been very few rookie or near-rookie starting QB's. Other than Todd Collins?....Darragh, Shaw, Ferguson, - Marangi, Verragamo, Mathison, Kelly, Van Pelt, Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe. It may be that Marangi (who was drafted by the Bills in 1973 0r 74) might have been the only other rookie or near rookie QB to start for the Bills other than JP. Collins, actually, was in his third year I believe before he was handed the reins.

My point is that the Bills (and us, the fans) have virtually NO experience in following a Bills rookie QB.

back to the interview.......

In response to "how are things going?" and " how are you and OC Fairchild getting along?" JP was hesitant but his responses clearly showed who was in charge of the offense. Fairchild! JP COULDN'T answer the questions because he simply does not know how well he is performing! Wait, you might ask, shouldn't he KNOW he's doing this or not doing that? A vet would but Fairchild, according to JP himself, is jumping over him for every little error and focusing on these mistales apparently to the point where Losman is so focused on getting the little things right that he doesn't have time to assess his overall performance. He did not express ANGER at Fairchild but .....dare I say it.....concern (fear?) over getting tongue-whipped by Steve if he expressed any displeasure. Can you imagine ANY former Bills QB being this way? Can you imagine your YOUNG son?

Would this technique work with a veteran QB? Absolutely not. They would tell him to go F himself. But JP , let's face it, is a kid. Fairchild's method may fail but JP's "childish" behaviors have made us all more than a little uncomfortable (temper tantrums, loss of focus, etc) But, jeesh, folks JP IS young and needs to grow up. Now, if he wants to play for the Bills. Otherwise, he may grow up with some other team. As fans we need to be patient enough to let this "child" to grow up. Obviously, none of us want to sacrifice a season or two but we do have to understand that growing pains are inevitable.

In any event, the interview did not answer the question: Is JP an NFL caliber QB (let alone if he will even win the starting QB job). But, Fairchild's methods make sense to me. JP needs to not only be instructed, and not only mentored, but also FATHERED - by a strict dad to be sure ;)

I still have hope for this kid's potential but I now realize not only HE needs to learn what having a near-rookie QB means but WE FANS TOO need to learn this.

Good luck JP. Use the Whip Steve and Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

Let me start by saying I have never seen an interview with JP that I would call "standard" (that is, a normal-sounding interview with the "classic" responses to obvious questions).

As I watched it, I began to think about how in my 36 years of following the Bills (I am not counting my 0-8 years!), there have been very few rookie or near-rookie starting QB's. Other than Todd Collins?....Darragh, Shaw, Ferguson,  - Marangi, Verragamo, Mathison, Kelly, Van Pelt, Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe. It may be that Marangi (who was drafted by the Bills in 1973 0r 74) might have been the only other rookie or near rookie QB to start for the Bills other than JP. Collins, actually, was in his third year I believe before he was handed the reins.

My point is that the Bills (and us, the fans) have virtually NO experience in following a Bills rookie QB.

In response to "how are things going?" and " how are you and OC Fairchild getting along?" JP was hesitant but his responses clearly showed who was in charge of the offense. Fairchild! JP COULDN'T answer the questions because he simply does not know how well he is performing! Wait, you might ask, shouldn't he KNOW he's doing this or not doing that? A vet would but Fairchild, according to JP himself, is jumping over him for every little error and focusing on these mistales apparently to the point where Losman is so focused on getting the little things right that he doesn't have time to assess his overall performance. He did not express ANGER at Fairchild but .....dare I say it.....concern (fear?) over getting tongue-whipped by Steve if he expressed any displeasure. Can you imagine ANY former Bills QB being this way? Can you imagine your YOUNG son?

Would this technique work with a veteran QB? Absolutely not. They would tell him to go F himself. But JP , let's face it, is a kid. Fairchild's method may fail but JP's "childish" behaviors have made us all more than a little uncomfortable (temper tantrums, loss of focus, etc) But, jeesh, folks JP IS young and needs to grow up. Now, if he wants to play for the Bills. Otherwise, he may grow up with some other team.  As fans we need to be patient enough to let this "child" to grow up. Obviously, none of us want to sacrifice a season or two but we do have to understand that growing pains are inevitable.

In any event, the interview did not answer the question: Is JP an NFL caliber QB (let alone if he will even win the starting QB job). But, Fairchild's methods make sense to me.  JP needs to not only be instructed, and not only mentored, but also FATHERED - by a strict dad to be sure  ;)

I still have hope for this kid's potential but I now realize not only HE needs to learn what having a near-rookie QB means but WE FANS TOO need to learn this.

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

737938[/snapback]

Whoops, sorry I screwed up that last posting. Both Dennis Shaw and Joe Ferguson strated as rookie QB's for the Bills. As was posted earlier, Shaw was named rookie of the , Ferguson wet 9-5 as a rookie (although he spent a fair amount of time handing off to OJ Simpson in 2,003 yard season.) While Shaws career went into the craper after his rookie year, clearly Ferguson went on to a productive career here before being run off by Larry Felser and Co. at the Buffalo News.

As I watched it, I began to think about how in my 36 years of following the Bills (I am not counting my 0-8 years!), there have been very few rookie or near-rookie starting QB's. Other than Todd Collins?....Darragh, Shaw, Ferguson,  - Marangi, Verragamo, Mathison, Kelly, Van Pelt, Johnson, Flutie, Bledsoe. It may be that Marangi (who was drafted by the Bills in 1973 0r 74) might have been the only other rookie or near rookie QB to start for the Bills other than JP. Collins, actually, was in his third year I believe before he was handed the reins.

Would this technique work with a veteran QB? Absolutely not. They would tell him to go F himself. But JP , let's face it, is a kid. Fairchild's method may fail but JP's "childish" behaviors have made us all more than a little uncomfortable (temper tantrums, loss of focus, etc) But, jeesh, folks JP IS young and needs to grow up. Now, if he wants to play for the Bills. Otherwise, he may grow up with some other team.  As fans we need to be patient enough to let this "child" to grow up. Obviously, none of us want to sacrifice a season or two but we do have to understand that growing pains are inevitable.

In any event, the interview did not answer the question: Is JP an NFL caliber QB (let alone if he will even win the starting QB job). But, Fairchild's methods make sense to me.  JP needs to not only be instructed, and not only mentored, but also FATHERED - by a strict dad to be sure  ;)

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

737938[/snapback]

I too, saw the interview, but what I came away with was totally different from what you did. When asked, How are you doing in camp?, JP was really saying it doesn't matter what HE thinks. It's what the coaches think that really matters.

JP looked very relaxed to me as well. I don't think he's worried about the job because he believes it's his already.

Losman likes to be "coached hard". That doesn't make him a child. A good coach knows what buttons to press in order to get his player to perform at a top level. I think Fairchild is doing the right thing. BTW. Parcells treats all his QB's like that, even Phil Simms. Just look how that turned out.

Whoops, sorry I screwed up that last posting.  Both Dennis Shaw and Joe Ferguson strated as rookie QB's for the Bills.  As was posted earlier, Shaw was named rookie of the , Ferguson wet 9-5 as a rookie (although he spent a fair amount of time handing off to OJ Simpson in 2,003 yard season.)  While Shaws career went into the craper after his rookie year, clearly Ferguson went on to a productive career here before being run off by Larry Felser and Co. at the Buffalo News.

737968[/snapback]

Thanks

Ahh youth and my memory of the years 8 thru 10!

I don't remember Shaw at all but Fergy was THE Bills QB for me until Kelly finally arrived. I still remember Fergy playing in the playoffs with an injured ankle. He had to throw every pass off the back foot.

I too, saw the interview, but what I came away with was totally different from what you did. When asked, How are you dong in camp?, JP was really saying it doesn't matter what HE thinks. It's what the coaches think that really matters.

JP looked very relaxed to me as well. I don't think he's worried about the job because he believes it's his already.

Losman likes to be "coached hard". That doesn't make him a child. A good coach knows what buttons to press in order to get his player to perform at a top level. I think Fairchild is doing the right thing. BTW. Parcells treats all his QB's like that, even Phil Simms. Just look how that turned out.

737987[/snapback]

Different views of the same interview - suits me fine but we both agree that fairchild is doing the right thing.

-RnJ

I caught the interview on the NFL network this morning. JP seemed to dance around some of the questions, but he does appear to be more confident. He also said the he and Kelly get along well, playing ping pong together and helping each other out. But i think it's pretty clear that he expects to be the starter.

Is there an online audio link somewhere?  I've heard a little about JPs 'style' in interviews & it has really made me curious.

738005[/snapback]

He mentioned how Fairchild's offense is very demanding on the quarterback with all the deep passes and throwing the ball down field. Dare I say a slight jab at Holcomb with that remark?

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

737938[/snapback]

I think it was John Gruden who said "...potential will get you fired in the NFL..."

He is a young QB, he is not a rookie. This is his third year in the NFL. Potential alone will only get you so many opportunities in this league. As Don Rumsfeld would say: Patience? yes. Blank check to play poorly? No. Need to go the pro bowl? No. Need to improve 31% red zone completion rate? Yes. ;)

I think it was John Gruden who said "...potential will get you fired in the NFL..."

He is a young QB, he is not a rookie.  This is his third year in the NFL.  Potential alone will only get you so many opportunities in this league.  As Don Rumsfeld would say:  Patience? yes.  Blank check to play poorly? No.  Need to go the pro bowl? No.  Need to improve 31% red zone completion rate? Yes. ;)

738039[/snapback]

And to quote Marv “Potential” is an imposter. Potential has gotten more coaches fired than injuries have. Potential has served to erode the credibility of many general managers.

I guess we don't have any choice but to go with JP & see if his potential will bare fruit or if he will be a bust.

Sorry...could someone point out to me when JP was having a temper tantrum and suffering from a lack of focus, as was noted in the original post? I seem to have missed these "childish" (dare I say "Leaf-like"?!?!?) behavioral moments, so if someone can remind me what I missed, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry...could someone point out to me when JP was having a temper tantrum and suffering from a lack of focus, as was noted in the original post? I seem to have missed these "childish" (dare I say "Leaf-like"?!?!?) behavioral moments, so if someone can remind me what I missed, I'd appreciate it.

738050[/snapback]

When I saw him at camp he dropped an F-Bomb loud enough for everyone in the stands to hear as well as a few Dammits. That by itself would be fine - but it was his reaction afterward - hanging his head and screaming at himself that really bothered me. I found myself just *hoping* that he would stop it - the first thing I thought to myself was that was not behavior that inspires confidence/leadership. To be honest - I was thinking there must be guys thinking "Just shut up and run the next play". It was not just an isolated incident - in general I just wished after a mistake or not perfect pass he would just line back up and show confidence in making the next play.

I do not buy into the theory that it doesn't matter how a player behaves or is respected - especially at QB. I do think one of JPs major things to overcome is maturity.

When I saw him at camp he dropped an F-Bomb loud enough for everyone in the stands to hear as well as a few Dammits.  That by itself would be fine - but it was his reaction afterward - hanging his head and screaming at himself that really bothered me.  I found myself just *hoping* that he would stop it - the first thing I thought to myself was that was not behavior that inspires confidence/leadership.  To be honest - I was thinking there must be guys thinking "Just shut up and run the next play".  It was not just an isolated incident - in general I just wished after a mistake or not perfect pass he would just line back up and show confidence in making the next play.

I do not buy into the theory that it doesn't matter how a player behaves or is respected - especially at QB.  I do think one of JPs major things to overcome is maturity.

738106[/snapback]

Oh, you mean like Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed... Face it, the majority of the true stars on the great Bills teams were punk, whiny azzholes. And we all loved them.

Oh, you mean like Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed... Face it, the majority of the true stars on the great Bills teams were punk, whiny azzholes. And we all loved them.

738114[/snapback]

Plus, when I think temper tantrum, I think someone blowing off at someone else...like a Ryan Leaf yelling at a reporter. JP getting down on himself, regardless of his language, is a completely different thing.

When I saw him at camp he dropped an F-Bomb loud enough for everyone in the stands to hear as well as a few Dammits.  That by itself would be fine - but it was his reaction afterward - hanging his head and screaming at himself that really bothered me.  I found myself just *hoping* that he would stop it - the first thing I thought to myself was that was not behavior that inspires confidence/leadership.  To be honest - I was thinking there must be guys thinking "Just shut up and run the next play".  It was not just an isolated incident - in general I just wished after a mistake or not perfect pass he would just line back up and show confidence in making the next play.

I do not buy into the theory that it doesn't matter how a player behaves or is respected - especially at QB.  I do think one of JPs major things to overcome is maturity.

738106[/snapback]

Good example and you could see it many times last year. However, I won't exactly call them temper tantrums. I think it just comes down to JP trying to hard. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, look at some of the elite QBs: Montana, Brady, Elway, and though he's not there yet, Big Ben. These guys all just seem insanely calm no matter what happens. If you're in that huddle, that's what you want to see. If you see your QB bugging out, you start to get a little worried. Personally, that was a big problem with a guy like Marino. He would spazz out on his teammats, yell and scream, and turn really red. That, IMO, doesn't inspire teammates. I saw a quote from Big Ben and he was asked about his calmness. He stated something along the lines of "I was scared as hell but I just faked it." It's funny that JP comes across as so laid back in interviews and seems really uptight in football situations. I just want him to get that little swagger back and inspired his teammates that he will make the plays to win the game. And if he's crapping his pants, he should just fake being as a cool as a fan. And that right now is a big advantage KH has on JP.

738114[/snapback]

I was gonna say .....

;)

Different views of the same interview - suits me fine but we both agree that fairchild is doing the right thing.

-RnJ

737993[/snapback]

The other piece of good news is that it looks to me IMHO that as long as either JP OR KH (OR Nall when he come back) are playing adequately even if they not great it will not make a huge difference in thems # of Ws accumulated this year.

1. I'm not saying that QB performance does not matter a lot-

What I am saying is that if other factors do not work out, it matters it matters little how the individual QB performs as neither JP or KH is likely to be anywhere good enough to win IF:

A. Our WRs do not offer enough, speed, depth, and adequate hands to make our version of the Rams O perform we will have trouble. If they turn out to be so slow they do not force opposing Ds to give them room or even depend on zones, if they cannot get enough separation to allow them to get good RAC performance, or if they develop the droppsies with multiple WRs performing like Reed in his sophomore campaign even a great QB will throw the ball on a dime only to have it broken up or INT's ed by tightly covering DBs or our WRs will get hit in the chest and the ball will bounce away.

On the good side though, if in fact Evans, Price, Parrish show scary speed that opposing DBs must give them room, or they can get quick separation using their speed and good play calls to get quick separation, even an adequate QB will be able to read this and throw the 8 yard passes necessary for them to get big gains.

The good news is that it seems pretty clear that Evans has world class speed and is showing good concentration on the ball so far. Given his first two years of performance where he essentially unseated Moulds as the go-to WR he is a good shot to be a legit #1. That, PP shows all signs early on resuming at least the good performance of a #2 that is merely a subset og his great performance as a #2 for thje Bills is doable. That Parrish is turning some heads with his performance so far that would make him a formidable #3.

Add to this that the primary job of Reed as a #4 is really gonna be picking at zones other teams are forced into by the speed of the first three and Tolbert is on record declaring him one of the smartest players on the Bills roster which along with his RAC potential as a former RB and his production as a #3 his rooke year sets him up well for the 4 WR sets. Even more amazingly Aiken is drawing some plaudits for his steadiness early in camp and he may be able to play the role of the big possession WR in this O (at 6-2 he is only an inch shorter than Nance and is one of the few WRs above 6 feet in height as our top 3 are all below 6 feet). Aiken's main contribution to this team is likely on ST, and this leaves Fast Freddy, Davis and rookie Nance to compete for the #6 WR role we will cetainly have and potentially a #7 WR as the Bills likely will have to cut at least one NFL vet if not 2 at WR.

Its amusing to me that the pundits has pointed to the Wrs as such an area of weakness for this team as right now barring injury it is gonna be a difficult choice who to keep and we likely will have to cut a vet who has produced before episodically in the NFL at WR.

B. our OL has problems it matters little what the QB will do and if they excel the QB can perform without a lot of theatrical heroics.

Again the news looks very good initially as I think it is clear that our potential starters on OL this year performed far better than the 5 players who started last year. Teague was game but overmatched at C, and thugh Fowler has yet to be a starting C for 16 games in his career, he won the Vikes starting job over longtime Vike Cory Withrow at C and his taking the job coincided with QB Culpepper playing better and then coincided with the Vikes winning 6 in a row. I think it is a football mistake to simply judge Fowler a reject from the Vikes as it was a smart move for them to go with former multi-tiome Pro Bowler Matt Birk at C wth him coming off of IR. However, it is somewhat forboding that the Vikes racking up Ls that coincided with them missing the playoffs last year came when Fowler got knocked out.

I do not think he attracted heavy bidding because other teams questioned his injury survival rather than his sjkills but the Bills are making that bet.

Reyes offers another player who clearly is an upgrade over last year's starter Anderson (though being an upgrade dows not say much0. however, reyes performance last year where he was a solid starter at RG in a productive Panthers OL indicates he is a clear upgrade. Like Fowler, it is simply a football mistake IMHO to claim he must be bad because NC did not keep him as they actually wanted to go with first day draft pick Evan Mathis at RG last year, but Reyes play and team chemistry forced them to keep the highly paid youngster on the bench. That was not gonna happen with Reyes as an FA. The interesting question is why Reyes did not seem to cause much of a bidding war and the Bills got him relatively cheaply. I think he should have drawn more attention but he did not so we will see.

Finally, Peters is just a far better regarded candidate for RT glory than MW but again in terms of on the field stuff it is not saying a lot to be better than MW. Still early reports out of camp are that Peters is matching the hype which just got him extended long term with his play so we shall see. I am pretty sure that this unit will get off to a fast start (particularly given they are being augmented with blocking talent Royal at TE) but I do worry about how we likely will be game 4 and out as the usual nicks or bad luck that happens to OL bodies in the NFL will begin to happen and depth is a real unknown for us past Preston.

C. WM simply needs to perform in the Marshall Faulk role of check down receiver and huge run threat which forces opposing Ds to not simply stack 7 or 8 guys in the box. If he resumes his use outside which Clements had abandoned concentrating on running his new bigger body between the tackles and sets WM into positions to ude his powerful stiff arm on DBs as our tackles and TE seal LBs and the DL inside then the LBs will have to hang back to keep good angles on outside runs rather than crowd the middle. By opening up the middle behind the OL we will give more room for Fairchild to create plays for a Rams east attack which uses speed to get separation on routes up the middle and makes good use of illegal picks and crossing patterns free up recievers.

If WM becomes an effective checkdown reciever, it will force opponents to leave the middle open if he goes in motion outside or if the D lets him go because they smell a pass play then the QB can throw him a short pass and he can run after the catch if the deep zones are covered.

If these three could bes work out then I suspect we will have a very dangerous O and the QB wil not be relied upon to make a bunch of great plays he will be relied upon to make a lot of good reads.

If it works like I think we want it to work (and given the personnel we have going for us in terms of some speedy WRs, better OL starters than we had last year and WM being used more as an athlete rather than simply as a very good runner, this O may be a force to be reckoned with. Ironically, depending upon how these three facets work out, it makes little difference how well the QB plays as long as he meets a basic level of adequacy. It will not work even if he is good if the rest of the O does not work or it will be productive even if the QB i simply OK but not great or even very good as an individual player.

In response to "how are things going?" and " how are you and OC Fairchild getting along?"

-RichNJoisy

CNJBBB

737938[/snapback]

Why would they ask him questions like this when we have yet to determine if topless Brett Favre still has his tractor and red hat?