Eric.....

And I can see a player or two getting into trouble, but 5 players is ridiculous and more an indictment of the head coach.

738107[/snapback]

I don't get how you can blame the head coach for players going out and getting arrested. He isn't their Babysitter, he is their boss. If a bunch of people from your work went out and got arrested for DUI/DWI or for other stupid things when not working, should your boss be fired because of it?

Last time I checked the players were all grown ups (or atleast should be) and should learn how to act like adults and not spoiled rich kids who are invincible cause they play a game and make millions.

What, then, do you recommend the B'gals organization do with him?

Well to this point, the organization was moving in the right direction and winning. If that continues to be the case, I doubt anything will be done. If they start losing again however, I'm sure Lewis will be instructed to keep his players on a tighter leash.

apul: Yes player are technically adults, but they're basically overgrown babies who still need to be told what to do and how to act. Again as I said, a couple bad eggs is probably par for the course, but 5 is another story. And if it's not the coach doing something like suspending a player for this type of stuff so as to send a message to others, it should be the organization. Speaking of which, weren't the Bengals the ones with the "conduct detrimental to the team" clauses that they tried to insert into every rookie's contract?

Well to this point, the organization was moving in the right direction and winning.  If that continues to be the case, I doubt anything will be done.  If they start losing again however, I'm sure Lewis will be instructed to keep his players on a tighter leash.

738187[/snapback]

Yes indeed... just win, baby.

Well to this point, the organization was moving in the right direction and winning.  If that continues to be the case, I doubt anything will be done.  If they start losing again however, I'm sure Lewis will be instructed to keep his players on a tighter leash.

apul:  Yes player are technically adults, but they're basically overgrown babies who still need to be told what to do and how to act.  Again as I said, a couple bad eggs is probably par for the course, but 5 is another story.  And if it's not the coach doing something like suspending a player for this type of stuff so as to send a message to others, it should be the organization.  Speaking of which, weren't the Bengals the ones with the "conduct detrimental to the team" clauses that they tried to insert into every rookie's contract?

738187[/snapback]

Given there is a CBA, what is this leash you refer to, available to a head coach?

Don't see how firing the head coach will have any effect. How about firing the players themselves? Conviction of a felony, a one year suspension without pay as part of every contract? If the NFL and the Players Association thought they wanted to address the situation it sounds like an easy way to do it. Since they don't I'd suggest we just STFU about the whole situation.

Uhhh...did anyone read the story? This is not a drug case, shooting, or domestic abuse issue. It's a guy who had a few beers and made a wake with his boat. Not exactly "thug" behavior. Not making excuses, just trying to maintain perspective here.

PTR