Help me understand Jazz

ajzepp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanborn is cool.

But if you listen to modern jazz, like Diana Krall and you still don't get it, stop trying cause thats as good as it gets.

If you want old school as others have said, try Brubeck. And if you don't get that, quit trying to like it!

I'm sure this has all been said already, so I would like to add this BBQ tip.

Buy Rib Eye Steaks from the butcher counter at WEGMANS. They usually have a BBQ cut that is 2" thick by 8" long and if they dont have it, ask for it! They will cut it for you.

Now since we have the music and steaks covered, I would like to recommend Mouton Cadet (red) to go with the meal and as afinishing touch, a TUERO cigar.

Available only in Canada or at Duty free, since it is Havana seed but grown in Quebec.

A perfect night for me is:

Bottles of Blue (the real thing)

Rib Eyes from Wegmans (thick cut) on the BBQ

Mouton Cadet red for dinner wine as it compliments the beef.

TUERO cigars after the fact that makes it complete.

I'm pretty sure I can't stand the smooth jazz thing. Not that these guys aren't good players, but that's just it. It's so smooth that the occasions for any spontaneity, any rough edges, are completely closed off -- it sounds like elevator music or shopping at Tops.

As far as modern jazz, I stick with more avant performers like Matthew Shipp and William Parker.

One more mainstream group that's newer that I can recommend is a trio called The Bad Plus. In addition to a pretty fine repertoire of their own material, they cover Aphex Twin, Blondie, Nirvana, etc. Their first record "These Are the Vistas" is pretty good. It's not quite so gimmicky as the gentlemen who cover Radiohead, IMO.

Also, I might mention that there are some really great branchings off of jazz into Brazilian and other world musics. Exploring jazz is a good chance to explore some of the other rhythmically complex sounds of the world. Certainly they have meant a lot to the development of jazz.

I've been on a quest to expand my music collection over the past year, and as I've mentioned quite a few times in here, you guys have really been great in helping me do just that. You guys clearly have amazing taste in music, and I've been the beneficiary of that.

That being said, the one genre of music that I just don't seem to be able to develop an appreciation for is Jazz. I do own a few Jazz albums, but honestly the main reason for that is because I use them as reference recordings for my audio system. But I know so many people who just LOVE this style of music, and I want to see if I can enhance my appreciation for it by furthering my understanding.

Do any of you guys just love this genre? Can you tell me WHY you love it, in addition to maybe some examples of what you albums/artists you recommend for someone in my position?

737773[/snapback]

I love the percussion in jazz, heres a list of excellent jazz drummers and one youtube of jazz-reggae fusion a bit...One Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjgjOD54UK8...ted&search=MSZ#

Excellent jazz drummers.

Omar Hakim who played with sting and branson marsalis, check out Bring on the night Album...He plays funk and jazz fusion.

Http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Omar_Hakim.html

Will Clahoun from living colour is another great drummer whose jazz work is seldom heard on popular radio..

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/William_Calhoun.html

Art blakley an incredible jazz drummer who shows modern drummers what you can do on a drum set.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Art_Blakley.html

http://

I love the percussion in jazz, heres a list of excellent jazz drummers and one youtube of jazz-reggae fusion a bit...One Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjgjOD54UK8...ted&search=MSZ#

Excellent jazz drummers.

Omar Hakim who played with sting and branson marsalis, check out Bring on the night Album...He plays funk and jazz fusion.

Http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Omar_Hakim.html

Will Clahoun from living colour is another great drummer whose jazz work is seldom heard on popular radio..

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/William_Calhoun.html

Art blakley an incredible jazz drummer who shows modern drummers what you can do on a drum set.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Art_Blakley.html

http://

741688[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my list....I don't have any damn speakers, so I can't listen to the youtube clip, but I'll be sure to check out your recommendations. I enjoy both reggae and funk, so I'm interested to give this stuff a listen :doh:

Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my list....I don't have any damn speakers, so I can't listen to the youtube clip, but I'll be sure to check out your recommendations. I enjoy both reggae and funk, so I'm interested to give this stuff a listen :D

741755[/snapback]

That youtube of one love is amazing rendition sung buy a women with power.

Jazz is cool, I got into it by followwing the dead around the eastern seaboard and poping into nightclubs with an array of bands playing a to z in musical genres..

One night in exeter n.h. phillips academey college kids put on a jazz show at the bank vault restaurant and played jazz to the deads dark star with a heavy dose of stand up base and sax and fantastic jazz drumming...I was installing flooring for the owner and she hooked me and my crew up with free bar service and a front row table as a tip....The bartender was a wicca witch with a slinky black dress and an evil body :doh:;)

Jazz is cool, I got into it by followwing the dead around the eastern seaboard and poping into nightclubs with an array of bands playing a to z in musical genres..

One night in exeter n.h. phillips academey college kids put on a jazz show at the bank vault restaurant and played jazz to the deads dark star with a heavy dose of stand up base and sax and fantastic jazz drumming...I was installing flooring for the owner and she hooked me and my crew up with free bar service and a front row table as a tip....The bartender was a wicca witch with a slinky black dress and an evil body :D  ;)

741823[/snapback]

lol, very cool! I'm excited to learn more about this genre....I think it's probably the style of music I know least about.

Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my list....I don't have any damn speakers, so I can't listen to the youtube clip, but I'll be sure to check out your recommendations. I enjoy both reggae and funk, so I'm interested to give this stuff a listen :)

741755[/snapback]

An "audiophile" with NO SPEAKERS on his computer (in this day and age)?????

:ph34r::D;)<_<:D

One night in exeter n.h. phillips academey college kids put on a jazz show at the bank vault restaurant and played jazz to the deads dark star with a heavy dose of stand up base and sax and fantastic jazz drumming...I was installing flooring for the owner and she hooked me and my crew up with free bar service and a front row table as a tip....The bartender was a wicca witch with a slinky black dress and an evil body :D  <_<

741823[/snapback]

Exeter is a cool little town... We always hit it when we visit family in North Hampton beach... Last time the PL (library) had a cool reptile program that my son went crazy about...

Don't like how the cops "chaulk" your tires in town though...

;)

Exeter is a cool little town... We always hit it when we visit family in North Hampton beach... Last time the PL (library) had a cool reptile program that my son went crazy about...

Don't like how the cops "chaulk" your tires in town though...

;)

742118[/snapback]

The youtube I believe is from Italy.

Exeter is a quintessential new england town with $$ cops are there to protect :D<_<

The youtube I believe is from Italy.

Exeter is a quintessential new england town with $$ cops are there to protect  :D  ;)

742125[/snapback]

Wow... My lucky guess I suppose... I saw the scrolling flags and seen the types of names and took a shot in the dark... Or was I "profiling?"

I don't care what they say they say about you... For a NE fan...

:D:)<_<:ph34r:

Wow... My lucky guess I suppose... I saw the scrolling flags and seen the types of names and took a shot in the dark... Or was I "profiling?"

I don't care what they say they say about you... For a NE fan...

:)  :)  <_<  :D

742127[/snapback]

Deductive reasoning :D

Lotsa chirping :ph34r:;)

I have to tread softly in a thread or it's back to the base of kilimanjaro :)

EII takecare man, I'm hitting the rack.

Deductive reasoning :D

Lotsa chirping :D  ;) 

I have to tread softly in a thread or it's back to the base of kilimanjaro :)

EII takecare man, I'm hitting the rack.

742129[/snapback]

<_<:ph34r:

So will I... Just don't tell the boss about those whistles and horns going off... :):) ... I will sluff off to my workstation in do time... :):)

An "audiophile" with NO SPEAKERS on his computer (in this day and age)?????

:D;)  <_<  :ph34r:  :)

742114[/snapback]

:D:)

Another interesting jazz album is Mocean Worker. The DJ loops obscure jazz band beats in a very smooth way. Much of their music is heard in commercials. I discovered the band by emailing Baileys Irish Cream and asking which band's song was played in the Baileys Mini's commercial. They also have a kicking techno song which appears in the Bourne Supremacy. Here's some downloads-

http://www.moceanworker.com/downloads