Adam Mair awarded $675,000

millbank

Adam Mair

according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players and the NHL, the Sabres have to automatically accept Mair's award because it is less than $1.4 million.

The ruling also starts the clock on the team's decision whether to winger J.P. Dumont's $2.9 million judgment that he received Wednesday. Buffalo has until Tuesday to decide.

If the Sabres walk away from the award, Dumont becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Adam Mair

according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players and the NHL, the Sabres have to automatically accept Mair's award because it is less than $1.4 million.

The ruling also starts the clock on the team's decision whether to winger J.P. Dumont's $2.9 million judgment that he received Wednesday. Buffalo has until Tuesday to decide.

If the Sabres walk away from the award, Dumont becomes an unrestricted free agent.

737036[/snapback]

Millbank, my friend, once again your friends at TSN have let you down. :)

They came close, but were not quite correct.

The Sabres do have to accept the Mair award, but that is because it is less than $1,042,073 which is the actual walkaway threshold.

The Bruins walked away from Tanabe's $1.2MM+ deal over the weekend. Starting next season, the walkaway threshold will increase at the same rate the average player salary increases.

Millbank, my friend, once again your friends at TSN have let you down.  :)

They came close, but were not quite correct.

The Sabres do have to accept the Mair award, but that is because it is less than $1,042,073 which is the actual walkaway threshold. 

The Bruins walked away from Tanabe's $1.2MM+ deal over the weekend.  Starting next season, the walkaway threshold will increase at the same rate the average player salary increases.

737452[/snapback]

I will give them a call and see why they stated those figures. I do notice regarding Tanabe that the sides agreed to a contract before the arbitration hearing , this is what they are walking away from , not a arbitrators settlement. I am busy taking in the grain perhaps you can find the reasoning.

also

ESPN

it appears story a AP story that various sites used, TSN in error in not using their own resources.

I will give them a call and see why they stated those figures. I do notice regarding Tanabe that the sides agreed to a contract before the arbitration hearing , this is what they are walking away from , not a arbitrators settlement. I am busy taking in the grain perhaps you can find the reasoning.

also

ESPN

it appears story a AP story that various sites used,  TSN in error in not using their own resources.

737492[/snapback]

The Bruins were exercising their "walkaway" rights after the Arbitrator reached his decision.

Had they agreed to a contract with Tanabe and then decided to dump him, they would have had to pay him 2/3 of the contract as a "buyout".

Link

The Bruins were exercising their "walkaway" rights after the Arbitrator reached his decision. 

Had they agreed to a contract with Tanabe and then decided to dump him, they would have had to pay him 2/3 of the contract as a "buyout".

Link

737599[/snapback]

Here is another version of what happened to Tanabe, which is sited in several sites and newspapers, which says they reached agreement before the hearing , but Bruins still retained right to walk away. Clearly they told him that they would walk away from arbitors decision, but would agree to sign him if they work out trade otherwise they were going to walk away from this deal as well, talk about having a guy by the balls.

Tanabe

New Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli traveled all the way to Toronto to present his club's side in an arbitration case with defenseman David Tanabe.

Chiarelli never quite made it before the arbitrator, but it was far from a wasted trip.

The Bruins and Tanabe reached a settlement yesterday without going to a hearing, with the two sides agreeing to a one-year, $1.275 million award.

But that award is not a guaranteed contract. The Bruins retain the right to walk away from the settlement within the next 48 hours. It's the same right they would have been allowed after a decision by an arbitrator following a hearing.

The $1.275 million figure is a raise over the $950,000 Tanabe made last year, and represents a compromise between the figures his representatives and the club were prepared to present at the hearing.

Here is another version of what happened to Tanabe, which is sited in several sites and newspapers, which says they reached agreement before the hearing , but Bruins still retained right to walk away.  Clearly they told him that they would walk away from arbitors decision, but would agree to sign him if they work out trade otherwise they were going to walk away from this deal as well, talk about having a guy by the balls.  

Tanabe

New Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli traveled all the way to Toronto to present his club's side in an arbitration case with defenseman David Tanabe.

Chiarelli never quite made it before the arbitrator, but it was far from a wasted trip.

The Bruins and Tanabe reached a settlement yesterday without going to a hearing, with the two sides agreeing to a one-year, $1.275 million award.

But that award is not a guaranteed contract. The Bruins retain the right to walk away from the settlement within the next 48 hours. It's the same right they would have been allowed after a decision by an arbitrator following a hearing.

The $1.275 million figure is a raise over the $950,000 Tanabe made last year, and represents a compromise between the figures his representatives and the club were prepared to present at the hearing.

737617[/snapback]

You are correct. It appears they did to reach an agreement prior to the hearing.

When you had stated they reached an "agreement", I misinterpreted that to mean you were stating they had signed a contract.

It's a kind of interesting negotiating ploy the Bruins used, which I will be interested in seeing if it tends to keep FA's from signing with them in the future.

Basically, they still went through arbitration, they just both agreed in their written submission to the arbitrator that he was worth $1.275MM. Since they both were in agreement, there was no need for a hearing. Since both parties said he's worth $1.275MM, that is what the arbitrator awarded him. Once the arbitrator agreed with the 2 parties, that's when the Bruins' 48 hour clock started ticking.

HAD the Bruins signed a contract with him, OR had they accepted the arbitrator's decision, THEN they would have been on the hook for 2/3 of the $1.275MM.

Of course, had the Bruins and Tanabe agreed to tell the arbitrator that he was worth $1MM and had the arbitrator agreed with them, the Bruins WOULD NOT have been allowed to walk away from the deal. Or more technically, had they walked away from the deal, they would still have had to pay him 100% and they would take a 100% hit on their salary cap.

Edited by dave_b