Do you believe Marv?

In his press conference today, the next afternoon after Whitner agreed to terms, flew to Buffalo and signed his contract, Marv said he didn't know how much Donte signed for. It's possible, but I find it very hard to believe. I suppose he could be technically honest, like he could have asked Overdorf did we get him for what we wanted, or did he sign for what we spoke about last night, and Overdorf said "Yes" or "Just over" or "Approximately". So Marv wouldn't know the exact numbers. But I really find it difficult for Marv not to ask, not to wonder, not to care.

Sure he said he wasn't going to concern himself with the salary cap but everyone is signed now. He'd already spoken to Overdorf at least once. He'd spoken to Whitner. He'd surely spoken to other members of the organization throughout the day about how great it was that Donte was in camp. Probably to Ralph. To me, it simply reeks of disingenuousness. And that's the last thing I'd expect from Marv.

I could be wrong. Perhaps he really doesn't know and really doesn't care. Or he'll just find out sooner or later. Of course, for my GM, that I find even more troubling.

On the amount of money Donte signed for:

I don’t know. We don’t disclose it anyway but honestly it’s easier for me to say we don’t disclose it when I don’t really know and I don’t.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3935

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe him, and I don't think he really cares. I'm sure he knows ballpark where it is, but bottom line he's just rubber-stamping Overdorf's work.

736539[/snapback]

I'm talking about how he handles the press and how he appears to the fans, which is part of the GMs job. Marv has a ton of goodwill with the press and the fans here. Maybe I am looking too much into it but I find it unnerving that he would say that. Why wouldn't he just say you guys know we havent disclosed figures for 45 years. That's easy to do. But when he says he doesn't know how much his top pick signed for after speaking with his numbers guy, that to me sounds really bad. It sounds like he's being shifty with the press and fans, OR, he really doesn't care which like I said is far more troubling to me.

It's one of the criticisms I levied against him when he first came aboard and announced he wouldn't care or concern himself with the money and salary cap. So I guess Jim Overdorf is the man that decides Peerless and/or Josh Reed is worth 10 million?

I'm talking about how he handles the press and how he appears to the fans, which is part of the GMs job. Marv has a ton of goodwill with the press and the fans here. Maybe I am looking too much into it but I find it unnerving that he would say that. Why wouldn't he just say you guys know we havent disclosed figures for 45 years. That's easy to do. But when he says he doesn't know how much his top pick signed for after speaking with his numbers guy, that to me sounds really bad. It sounds like he's being shifty with the press and fans, OR, he really doesn't care which like I said is far more troubling to me.

It's one of the criticisms I levied against him when he first came aboard and announced he wouldn't care or concern himself with the money and salary cap. So I guess Jim Overdorf is the man that decides Peerless and/or Josh Reed is worth 10 million?

736542[/snapback]

Yeah, I think so, along with Modrak and John Guy. My take is that Marv is really just a figure-head. No doubt he had a lot to do with hiring Jauron, but other than that admittedly big task, his role is to:

- interface with Ralph

- improve over-all morale (players & office) that was damaged by TD

- instill the sense of what it takes to win in this league.

I think Jauron, Modrak, and Overdorf are much bigger players in the scheme of things than is readily apparent.

He probably lied so as to not have to answer questions as to how much.  And it's possible that he doesn't know EXACTLY what Whitner signed for given last minute negotiations, but he probably knows the ballpark.

736526[/snapback]

We *ALL* know the ballpark - somewhere between pick 7 money and pick 8 money.

And why should Marv know? Do you think the President or CEO of your company knows exactly how much money you make? They have a ballpark idea, but I'm sure they don't keep track of the exact amount.

-- TSW - making mountains out of mole hills since 1996 --

From Day One Marv said he was only here for the football side of things...so I don't find his comments surprising at all.

736551[/snapback]

If he knows DW signed why should he care about with how much... If he signed it has got to be within the working paramaters that they (including himself) have set with dealing with the cap... Why concern yourself with it...

Kinda like balancing your checkbook when you know you got money in it and ain't cutting it razor thin... Do you balance it?... I don't... I watch my statement and watch what I spent... The exact numbers I could care less about.

Kinda like balancing your checkbook when you know you got money in it and ain't cutting it razor thin... Do you balance it?... I don't... I watch my statement and watch what I spent... The exact numbers I could care less about.

736555[/snapback]

:doh::(

I know, down to a penny, how much is in my accounts. Why would you ballpark that? It's just asking for a bank error not in your favor (banks make mistakes - I've seen it firsthand). Buy Quicken and it's a piece of cake - and you can even run reportrs to figure out how much you're spending on different things to help with your budgeting.

We *ALL* know the ballpark - somewhere between pick 7 money and pick 8 money.

And why should Marv know?  Do you think the President or CEO of your company knows exactly how much money you make?  They have a ballpark idea, but I'm sure they don't keep track of the exact amount.

-- TSW - making mountains out of mole hills since 1996 --

736554[/snapback]

Then he does know what the guy makes. Why tell the press and fans he doesn't. Like I said, it comes across like a politician and I personally think that's a bad strategy.

Furthermore, the CEO is a bad analogy. A GM's main job is to field the best team within the parameters of the salary cap. The money the Bills pay each player is VERY important in today's NFL. It's an important thing to know when you're a GM. There are no two ways around it. It's not important to know the exact dollar amount within 24 hours, no. But then don't tell the press you don't know how much he makes if you know pretty damn close. It's bad spin.

Then he does know what the guy makes. Why tell the press and fans he doesn't. Like I said, it comes across like a politician and I personally think that's a bad strategy.

736562[/snapback]

More like an old man talking to me than a politician. And I know that sounds like a slam, but it is what it is. Like you said, Marv's got a ton of good will built up to where a lot of the local & national media are looking the other way & giving him a chance.... cutting him slack for now.

736542[/snapback]

I think he is selling the "spiritual leader" thing. He's trying to build a team with chemistry. He has stated he'll stay out of the numbers and I think he probably has done that.

By stating it over and over in the press at every opportunity, he can continue to sell the team to future players in his own way. He can point back to these conversations as evidence of the way he does business.

You want to be here? Great. Go talk to Jim.

:doh:  :(

I know, down to a penny, how much is in my accounts.  Why would you ballpark that?  It's just asking for a bank error not in your favor (banks make mistakes - I've seen it firsthand).  Buy Quicken and it's a piece of cake - and you can even run reportrs to figure out how much you're spending on different things to help with your budgeting.

736557[/snapback]

I agree with what you are saying... I check all the time and never get a mistake... I guess it is just a leap of faith I take at times... It is all there... I just don't need to know to the penny every minute... I will balance things monthly (maybe stratch it longer, but everything jives mentally with keeping a running total)... I guess I am old school and handle it then.

Maybe Marv is like that?

I think he is selling the "spiritual leader" thing.  He's trying to build a team with chemistry.  He has stated he'll stay out of the numbers and I think he probably has done that.

By stating it over and over in the press at every opportunity, he can continue to sell the team to future players in his own way.  He can point back to these conversations as evidence of the way he does business.

You want to be here?  Great.  Go talk to Jim.

736565[/snapback]

Here is the problem with that. If he is totally relying on Tom Modrak and John Guy to determine monetary worth of the players, what is he even GM for? What exactly does he do? It's not a figurehead job. The spiritual leader thing will only go on so long. Why do players even have to talk to him if he isn't evaluating and he isn't negotiating? Because if he is bringing in guys, or fielding the team, he doesn't have to be the one negotiating the deal but he does damn well have to know what he thinks they are worth, what he is willing to pay, and no more.

I don't mind at all if he is relying on Guy and Modrak, they probably have a lot better idea of a player's present ability and health and worth than Marv does at this point. If he lets Overdorf decide how much these players are worth, we're in trouble. But maybe that is why Peerless got ten million when no one else offered him even one. Or why we had to wait 14 practices for the inevitable, that Whitner would sign right in the middle of 7 and 9. I just think it's something a GM must do. Players and agents talk. And read the news and websites. Wouldn't players and agents soon just say anything Marv wanted to hear? Just placate the old dude because he really doesn't have much to do with fielding this team?

I think he is selling the "spiritual leader" thing.  He's trying to build a team with chemistry.  He has stated he'll stay out of the numbers and I think he probably has done that.

By stating it over and over in the press at every opportunity, he can continue to sell the team to future players in his own way.  He can point back to these conversations as evidence of the way he does business.

You want to be here?  Great.  Go talk to Jim.

736565[/snapback]

Bingo!

Here is the problem with that. If he is totally relying on Tom Modrak and John Guy to determine monetary worth of the players, what is he even GM for? What exactly does he do? It's not a figurehead job. The spiritual leader thing will only go on so long. Why do players even have to talk to him if he isn't evaluating and he isn't negotiating? Because if he is bringing in guys, or fielding the team, he doesn't have to be the one negotiating the deal but he does damn well have to know what he thinks they are worth, what he is willing to pay, and no more.

I don't mind at all if he is relying on Guy and Modrak, they probably have a lot better idea of a player's present ability and health and worth than Marv does at this point. If he lets Overdorf decide how much these players are worth, we're in trouble. But maybe that is why Peerless got ten million when no one else offered him even one. Or why we had to wait 14 practices for the inevitable, that Whitner would sign right in the middle of 7 and 9. I just think it's something a GM must do. Players and agents talk. And read the news and websites. Wouldn't players and agents soon just say anything Marv wanted to hear? Just placate the old dude because he really doesn't have much to do with fielding this team?

736573[/snapback]

No doubt that it is potentially a huge, huge mess for this organization, but I think that is only stating the obvious. All we can do is sit back, watch what happens, and hope for the best.