Kenny Chesney, Eddie Van Halen, and Alex Van Halen

Draconator

Not even close

He was good, but not the best ever

738081[/snapback]

Eddie said in a GW interview a few years back that he thought there were a lot of unknown guitar players out there that were a lot better than him.

However, he has to be one of the most inventive guitar players of our time. He perfected two handed tapping, open string pull offs, tap harmonics and brought us the brown sound. The list could go on for miles the things he introduced to the guitar world.

Sammy didn't play guitar on any VH album.  Pretty much the only time he played guitar in concert were on his songs or ocassionally on Jump or other songs where Eddie played keys.  In the later years they tracked the keyboards, which sucked ass.

737925[/snapback]

Really? I reluctantly have to admit that I didn't buy a CD since the DLR days and really only listened to a few tunes with SH but I just thought they were "noisy" if ya' know what I mean. Should have spent some time figuring out where all the extras came from instead of assuming guitar. Just figured with SH there would be that temptation - he is really no slacker himself.

Always liked the bands that jammed with the three basics the best anyway so I was probably biased from the start.

Eddie said in a GW interview a few years back that he thought there were a lot of unknown guitar players out there that were a lot better than him. 

However, he has to be one of the most inventive guitar players of our time.  He perfected two handed tapping, open string pull offs, tap harmonics and brought us the brown sound.  The list could go on for miles the things he introduced to the guitar world.

738142[/snapback]

I saw VH early (not REAL early) in their career in Buffalo. They opened for...I think Ronnie Montrose (who was awesome, BTW). We had GREAT seats (1st or 2nd row at Century Theater, i think). I was with my buddy...a doctor and a pretty fair guitar player. i think we walked out of VH (and to the on site bar) after the 2nd or 3rd song. It was horrid after the 1st, but we wanted to give it a chance, as we heard this guy was a guitar god. We thought he was a guitar fraud. Mostly he posed with the guitar in a vertical position and played repetitive riffs. DLR pranced around on stage and reminded us of Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas. Terrible. Mediocre, boring rock, and an absurd "rock star!" stage show.

I'll take music.

I saw VH early (not REAL early) in their career in Buffalo.  They opened for...I think Ronnie Montrose (who was awesome, BTW).  We had GREAT seats (1st or 2nd row at Century Theater, i think).  I was with my buddy...a doctor and a pretty fair guitar player.  i think we walked out of VH (and to the on site bar) after the 2nd or 3rd song.  It was horrid after the 1st, but we wanted to give it a chance, as we heard this guy was a guitar god.  We thought he was a guitar fraud.  Mostly he posed with the guitar in a vertical position and played repetitive riffs.  DLR pranced around on stage and reminded us of Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas.  Terrible.  Mediocre, boring rock, and an absurd "rock star!" stage show.

I'll take music.

739596[/snapback]

I guess I can't comment on their abilities to perform live because I never have seen them on stage. I have seen any number of rock bands that typically suck in the first 30 minutes of their performance but finally "warm-up" at some point. I do know that even a jam session takes some time to get going (and really I am not making excuses for VH because for all I know they were probably wasted at the time you saw them).

I think it would be unfair though to consider EVH a fraud because even when you cut through all of the hype, technique, and illusion he is a classically-trained musician that has cut some fairly good, blues-based tracks in his time.

I guess I can't comment on their abilities to perform live because I never have seen them on stage. I have seen any number of rock bands that typically suck in the first 30 minutes of their performance but finally "warm-up" at some point. I do know that even a jam session takes some time to get going (and really I am not making excuses for VH because for all I know they were probably wasted at the time you saw them).

I think it would be unfair though to consider EVH a fraud because even when you cut through all of the hype, technique, and illusion he is a classically-trained musician that  has cut some fairly good, blues-based tracks in his time.

739735[/snapback]

You have to understand, the Dean is a music tea-totaller - complete with the pinky in the air.

EVH has struggled with alcohol his entire life during the period Dean cited, it is well known that he drank an entire bottle of vodka before each performance. There aren't many people who can even function at that level.

Yeah, EVH is a repetitive guitar player and Steely Dan is the awesome.

You have to understand, the Dean is a music tea-totaller - complete with the pinky in the air.

EVH has struggled with alcohol his entire life during the period Dean cited, it is well known that he drank an entire bottle of vodka before each performance.  There aren't many people who can even function at that level.

Yeah, EVH is a repetitive guitar player and Steely Dan is the awesome.

739738[/snapback]

Well, that could explain it. Around the same time as the VH concert, I saw one of my musical favs, Van Morrison, so drunk he knocked the mike over and forgot words. While he still sounded OK...it wasn't a true indication of Van. So it's possible we didn't see Eddie at his best. I wonder what DLR's excuse was. I suspect just bad taste.

Well, that could explain it.  Around the same time as the VH concert, I saw one of my musical favs, Van Morrison, so drunk he knocked the mike over and forgot words.  While he still sounded OK...it wasn't a true indication of Van.  So it's possible we didn't see Eddie at his best.  I wonder what DLR's excuse was.  I suspect just bad taste.

740038[/snapback]

Bad taste and dysfunctional brain cells would get my vote. It's so very odd that one can like VH with DLR (which I admit to) but have a healthy dislike for DLR.

Well, that could explain it.  Around the same time as the VH concert, I saw one of my musical favs, Van Morrison, so drunk he knocked the mike over and forgot words.  While he still sounded OK...it wasn't a true indication of Van.  So it's possible we didn't see Eddie at his best.  I wonder what DLR's excuse was.  I suspect just bad taste.

740038[/snapback]

Dave's excuse (mostly) is that he's a dick. When he was on (rarely), he was as good a frontman as the genre had. The problem was his average night, where he was predictably below average.