new fumble rule this year

"Previously, if a player was ruled down but the ball popped out, the whistle stopped the play in its tracks. Beginning this season, the whistle won't stop the play if the ball comes loose. The play will be reviewable -- it wasn't reviewable if the issue was merely forward progress of the ball carrier -- and could result in a change of possession.

One likely outcome is that the well-worn cliche of "playing until the whistle blows" may lose some of its validity. That's assuming players can adapt to the new way of thinking."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2539849

At the practices I was at - Fewell was constantly screaming at the D to go after and get the ball *whenever* it was on the ground - regardless of how much the play seemed to be over.

At the practices I was at - Fewell was constantly screaming at the D to go after and get the ball *whenever* it was on the ground - regardless of how much the play seemed to be over.

736304[/snapback]

I think this is a great new rule. How many tiems have we seen a sure fumble occur, only for the play to have been "blown dead" already. Now these kinds of plays are reviewable.

I think this is a great new rule.  How many tiems have we seen a sure fumble occur, only for the play to have been "blown dead" already.  Now these kinds of plays are reviewable.

736306[/snapback]

You won't be saying that the next time WM fumbles, the refs blow the whistle, and he gets injured while the defense jumps over him to get the ball.

If this means players ignoring whistles, this is an awful and unsafe rule.

I think there is a fine line where down-by-contact can be reviewable, and not mean that play after the whistle will stand.

Example: a RB stumbles and lunges forward, fumbling as they land. The ball pops out and right into the defenders hands, then the whistle blows, with the ref ruling that the RB was hit before or during his time on the ground, before the ball came out. If untouched, this ball should go to the defense.

But NO WAY should anything after the whistle count. (Unless of course they're going to train all the ref's with an additional whistle that means you REALLY need to stop playing....)

If this means players ignoring whistles, this is an awful and unsafe rule.

I think there is a fine line where down-by-contact can be reviewable, and not mean that play after the whistle will stand. 

Example: a RB stumbles and lunges forward, fumbling as they land.  The ball pops out and right into the defenders hands, then the whistle blows, with the ref ruling that the RB was hit before or during his time on the ground, before the ball came out.  If untouched, this ball should go to the defense. 

But NO WAY should anything after the whistle count.  (Unless of course they're going to train all the ref's with an additional whistle that means you REALLY need to stop playing....)

736310[/snapback]

I totally agree with you; this change just wasn't thought out properly.