Whitner

Frez

Obviously it remains to be seen, whether this pick was a good one or a bad one. Also, we're only a week into training camp, so it's not the end of the world, as long as DW reports soon.

As for the pick itself, I've always been of the opinion that DW was something of a consesus pick. There were probably coaches/scouts in the war room calling for Bunkley, others calling for Ngata, and still others wishing for a trade down. I think DW was a pick that everyone felt that they could live with. I think it was more Marv trying to build a consensus, than getting into a panic, as Mort suggested at the time. Of course, I wasn't there when the decision was made -- just like Mort wasn't.

Haven't you learned that ANYTHING the Bills do is WRONG???  Whoever they pick, draft, hire, cut, etc. is the WRONG MOVE!!

735404[/snapback]

Until they win. Then the same fans become "loyal" diehards who were behind them all the time. It's sad, really. People lead some pretty pathetic lives.

Well, none of your TBD buddies will tell Mrs. Frez on you.  :lol:  :lol:

735922[/snapback]

I left Mrs. Frez weeks ago and moved in with her sister and her girlfriend. :D

:P

:)

:lol:

Until they win.  Then the same fans become "loyal" diehards who were behind them all the time.  It's sad, really.  People lead some pretty pathetic lives.

735527[/snapback]

This is not a fair statement. Many posters on this board spend thousands of hours and dollars being Bills fans, and root for them with passion.

I have met some of the biggest "critics" on this board (in addition to looking in the mirror :lol: ), and I can tell you that these guys want the Bills to win every bit as much as do you.

Many of us obviously hold different opinions as to why the Bills have been playing so poorly for so long. Imo, the most widely held view these days is that Mullarkey was the "culprit," as if somehow another coach would have been successful with these same players.

I tend to disagree with the above prevailing notion. Many factors are involved in our poor play but imo, the primary reason for it is our dismal drafts. Drafting good players is more important to the Bills than say the Redskins, because RW doesn't have the money to sign each and every high priced free agent and coach.

That said, we have been spending our draft days watching the Bills take small and/or injured "skill players" from Miami, and even trading away 1st day picks in the unexplainable process.

I hope that Whitner signs today, comes to camp, and develops into a probowl player. He needs to, because Levy gave up a chance to acquire much needed extra picks in order to draft him.

If Whittner, and perhaps one of the other 2 early round defensive backs develop into solid pros, I suppose the 06 draft will have been successful. For this to happen, DW needs to bring his ass into camp and get to work.

I didnt like the pick and thought it was a reach for a position of need. I got the impression Marv and company were locked into drafting a Saftey and thought they were going to get Huff and when they didnt they took Whitner

I would have preferred they traded down with Denver but staying at 11 I thought Ngata was the better choice for this team. I would rather pay that money to a DT then a Safety anyway

735177[/snapback]

I dont think they wanted Huff over Whitner. Marv said their draft board was Brick #1 and Whitner #2.

They got who they wanted. Who fans wanted doesnt really matter.

Modrak said it best the other day, we wanted to control our own destiny. Its not done much in the Draft because most teams take value but Modrak and Marv went into the draft wanting Whitner and McCargo and they came out of the draft with Whitner and McCargo.

McCargo has been great so far in camp, people are raving about the guy. Everything will play out over time, but I think the Bills drafted 5 future starters in this 2006 draft. Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Simpson, and Kyle WIlliams.

Just my prediction, but this draft will turn out better than the 2001 draft Bills fans praise.

Until they win.  Then the same fans become "loyal" diehards who were behind them all the time.  It's sad, really.  People lead some pretty pathetic lives.

735527[/snapback]

Yes, if fans aren't "rah rah" fans then they're not behind the team. :lol: I guess in order to be a "loyal" fan one must simply agree with every single thing the team does and if you don't you lead a pathetic life. Great logic.

9 Ernie Sims Lions LB Florida State

10 Matt Leinart Cardinals QB USC

11 Jay Cutler Broncos QB Vanderbilt

12 Haloti Ngata Ravens DT Oregon

13 Kamerion Wimbley Browns LB Florida State

14 Brodrick Bunkley Eagles DT Florida State

15 Tye Hill Rams DB Clemson

The way the top 7 went (Cutler and Leinart who we didn't want falling out), I don't know if I like any of these guys more than Whitner. Bunkley is interesting, but not a character guy, not better than Triplett, and would have been a reach. Ngata has been beaten to death, and I don't think he will be a star, but his career coin could come up heads or tails. Sims, Wimbley, Hill? No chance.

So this discussion is really two questions:

1) Will Bunkley/Ngata the consensus picks for the Bills be better football players than Whitner? With what I know now my guess is no, but we will ahve to wait and see

2) Should we have taken a QB instead? This is more complicated but as a big JPL fan, and knowing how many high quarterbacks are busts anyways, I think it would have been a dumb move.

Can't wait for Whitner to get into camp. The one thing I did not expect from him was a holdout (which I view as a character issue, not a business decision), but I think this has a pretty good chance of seeming like a very good pick looking back in a few years, if not already so this season (which is too soon to judge).

Whitner and McCargo should always looked at together because the Bills basically came out and said they liked Bunkley and Ngata, but they decided to go defense, shore up the middle of the field and wanted to get a SS and a DT. They felt strongly that a Whitner/McCargo combination was better thaan any Ngata or Bunkley/Third best SS combination. That remains to be seen, of course, but it makes sense, and I like what I read about both Donte and McCargo in this particular defense.