New Football League to start Spring 2007

millbank

The All American Football League

The All American Football League is a for-profit, professional football league. Most of the League's teams will be hosted by universities with Division IA football programs. Games will be scheduled in the spring and early summer at times that will not conflict with university activities.

League teams will employ only those players who have both completed their college football eligibility and earned a four-year degree. This policy is expected to have a very positive impact on universities’ NCAA Graduation Success Rate and their Academic Progress Rate. To the extent practical, graduates of host universities will play for the team hosted by their alma mater.

The League intends that each League team will sell memberships to its fans and supporters. Members may be entitled to renewable season tickets in preferred locations, preferred parking, and other “insider” benefits. The League also hopes to provide Members access to high-definition private broadcasts of League games.

LEAGUE ADOPTS COLLEGE GRAD ONLY POLICY FOR PLAYERS

The League charter allows only those players who have both earned a 4-year degree and completed their college football eligibility to suit up and play in the League. University educators and athletic department officials are quite hopeful that this policy will have a very positive impact on universities' NCAA Graduation Success Rate and their Academic Progress Rate.

According to League Board Member Dr. Charles Young, who served as Chancellor of UCLA and President of the University of Florida for a combined total of 33 years, "The requirement that any players in this new league must have received their undergraduate degree and used up all their football eligibility is a great incentive for all players to stay in school through graduation. This is a critical provision of the All American Football League's policies, and one which will help to solve a problem which has been of great concern to all of us worried about the future of intercollegiate athletics."

Because only a small percentage of players will actually make the NFL, and the average career length for those that do make it, is only 4 years, fans oftentimes lose track of their favorite players once their collegiate eligibility has expired.

The League teams will feature grads of their host university with other roster spots reserved for grads of conference schools which are not currently hosting a team. For some players, the All American Football League will be a stepping-stone into, or back into the NFL. For many, it will be a chance to continue playing football on the campus of their alma mater in front of the loyal and enthusiastic fan base that has grown to love them.

The League believes there is a pent up demand for games and seating at many of the major Division IA universities that will be hosting League teams. Alumni, fans and supporters of each university hosting a League team will receive first priority on memberships. This will entitle them to renewable season tickets in preferred locations, preferred parking, first option on tickets to playoff and championship games and other insider benefits. The membership model will allow League teams to keep prices at a very moderate level.

The League is exploring the possibility of broadcasting games through a private network that might eliminate TV timeouts for commercial purposes. Although the League expects all or some League games will appear on commercial TV, fans who purchase "memberships" in their teams might have the option of accessing all games on the League's private network.

Site asks what University would you like see host a team.

Would Syracuse work out?

The All American Football League

The All American Football League is a for-profit, professional football league.  would you like see host a team.

734037[/snapback]

Well it may be an "allowed to make a profit" league. I doubt there will be any profit to speak of.

(Except, possibly, for one or two at the top who figure out how to steal all of the $. :devil: )

Well it may be an "allowed to make a profit" league.  I doubt there will be any profit to speak of.

(Except, possibly, for one or two at the top who figure out how to steal all of the $.  :devil: )

734043[/snapback]

They intend to start with 8 teams. Franchise fee will be $2-3 million. The players saaries capped at $100,00 the players being paid out of league offices rather than individual teams.

So far Purdue is in with others soon.

They intend to start with 8 teams. Franchise fee will be $2-3 million. The players saaries capped at $100,00 the players being paid out of league offices rather than individual teams.

So far Purdue is in with others soon.

734050[/snapback]

Usually I'm skeptical. When it comes to alternative football leagues, I'm downright cynical.

While I think it CAN work, the problem is when. Nobody wants to watch football in the spring. Summer is too hot. The only other time is during the NFL season. You cant play sunday (obviously), and Saturday is also out. Basically needs to be during the week, which kills.

Ya gotta wonder how Arena football can survive, even AFL2 can survive, yet a "minor league" football league has yet to.

Possibly need to market it as a sort of "developmental" league. Need to put teams in tier2 markets without a team. I.E. Oklahoma City, Portland Oregon, Norfolk Virginia, Las Vegas, Heck, Los Angeles, Raleigh NC, Trenton NJ, Columbus OH etc.

If done RIGHT (and im not sure what right is...) it can succede.

Jack, is it still called the Carrier Dome? Or am I way behind on my corporate sponsorship knowledge?

Isn't Carrier a heating and cooling company?

734119[/snapback]

Yep, it's still the Carrier Dome. Just about every year, after the first SU game, there will will be a news report on how the doe named after the worlds largest air conditioner compnay is not air conditioned.

While I think it CAN work, the problem is when.  Nobody wants to watch football in the spring.  Summer is too hot.  The only other time is during the NFL season.  You cant play sunday (obviously), and Saturday is also out.  Basically needs to be during the week, which kills.

Ya gotta wonder how Arena football can survive, even AFL2 can survive, yet a "minor league" football league has yet to.

Possibly need to market it as a sort of "developmental" league.  Need to put teams in tier2 markets without a team.  I.E. Oklahoma City, Portland Oregon, Norfolk Virginia, Las Vegas, Heck, Los Angeles, Raleigh NC, Trenton NJ, Columbus OH etc.

If done RIGHT (and im not sure what right is...) it can succede.

734123[/snapback]

Isn't the Arena League partially supported by the NFL? I know that NFLE is, but seem to recall that the NFL also supported Arena ball. At least they have not tried to kill it... That, and the fact that it is such a different game (and so made for TV) might explain their ability to survive when other leagues do not.

Isn't the Arena League partially supported by the NFL? I know that NFLE is, but seem to recall that the NFL also supported Arena ball. At least they have not tried to kill it... That, and the fact that it is such a different game (and so made for TV) might explain their ability to survive when other leagues do not.

734456[/snapback]

There at least used to be some support. I think now though the league is at least somewhat profitable for some of these owners. The salaries are not very high and there seem to be enough people to go to these games.

I remember watching an XFL game and Rod "He Hate Me" Smart's team (whoever they were) was on the road playing some other schit-ass team I don't remember. All I remember about the game, and really this is probably my only lingering memory of the XFL, is the fan who brought the sign that said "WE HATE HE." I thought that was great.

I remember watching an XFL game and Rod "He Hate Me" Smart's team (whoever they were) was on the road playing some other schit-ass team I don't remember.  All I remember about the game, and really this is probably my only lingering memory of the XFL, is the fan who brought the sign that said "WE HATE HE."  I thought that was great.

734594[/snapback]

But there was one good thing that came out of the XFL, and that's ESPN's "Skycam".