Report: Bills and Whitner Over 1 Million Apart!

The report says they are $1.1mil apart but then lists it at guaranteed money. This implies that they are in agreeance over the total amount of money and the length of the contract.

For the sake of $600K extra up front......I think this report is bogus(or only a small part of the true factors)

It has to still be either over the number of years, the total amount, or problems with the agent. That small amount of money up front is just not worth the hassle for either side.

The report says they are $1.1mil apart but then lists it at guaranteed money.  This implies that they are in agreeance over the total amount of money and the length of the contract.

For the sake of $600K extra up front......I think this report is bogus(or only a small part of the true factors)

It has to still be either over the number of years, the total amount, or problems with the agent.  That small amount of money up front is just not worth the hassle for either side.

734219[/snapback]

I speculate its probably a combination of still working on the length of the deal, the gauranteed money and incentives..but I bet all three aspects are in a tight range that will offer a pretty quick resolution (2 days or so).

When it gets to this stage--negotiating in the media--things are probably pretty close to getting done. Silence is more worrisome.

I speculate its probably a combination of still working on the length of the deal, the gauranteed money and incentives..but I bet all three aspects are in a tight range that will offer a pretty quick resolution (2 days or so).

When it gets to this stage--negotiating in the media--things are probably pretty close to getting done.  Silence is more worrisome.

734238[/snapback]

I agree: also i thought thsiu was ointeresting: "Whitner wants closer to the money Michael Huff got at number 7 because they play the same position."

Um...if he feels that he should be paid number 7 money then I guess he should have been drafted at Number 7.

Also the logic of we should make teh same because we play the same position is absurd. Should JP Losman make what Peyton Manning is making? Bring back Haloti Nagata! <_<

When it gets to this stage--negotiating in the media--things are probably pretty close to getting done.  Silence is more worrisome.

734238[/snapback]

That would be my guess. The Bills are probably going for a 6th year, and shorting him the 600K. You keep players around by keeping them happy and treating them fairly. If the Bills are going to demand an additional year they probably should have come threw with an offer that’s slightly above the difference between 7 and 9, not below it.

That would be my guess. The Bills are probably going for a 6th year, and shorting him the 600K.  You keep players around by keeping them happy and treating them fairly. If the Bills are going to demand an additional year they probably should have come threw with an offer that’s slightly above the difference between 7 and 9, not below it.

734264[/snapback]

Or, here's a thought. Give him the 600k if he agrees to a sixth year.

Last year's #8 pick, Antre Rolle, a CB, got 13.6 mil in guaranteed money from a notoriously stingy team. That's 700,000 more than the Bills are reportingly guaranteeing Whitner. Sure seems like lowballing him but it's hard to say for sure without knowing the real numbers. Still, I expect him to sign soon.

Another problem is his agent can't really allow him to sign for less than last year's pick, plus closer to 9 than 7. Future picks will see that and say this guy just ain't good. They will think more of him holding his player out for what he is worth or should be paid.

This is all bulls*it. They are grobbling over a million bucks? He has missed 9 practices because Buffalo can't do the simple math and pay him the average difference between #7 and #9.

I don't care if Buffalo thinks that Oakland overvalued Huff, it doesn't matter, they are paying him what they are paying him.

I wonder how much say RW has in the offers, etc. I'd bet this is coming from him.

He's a good man but awfully cheap.

Well, the Bills realize that Whitner -- a strong safety -- is simply not worth $14M in guarantees before he has ever taken a snap! But this is all on them. Afterall, that's what you get when you enter the draft married to a single player and reach in a big way to get him.

This should teach the Bills a lesson, the next time they decide to reach on a player in the top 10. They should realize that just because they did Whitner and his agent a huge favor taking him so early, there is no such thing as a thank-you discount...

Last year's #8 pick, Antre Rolle, a CB, got 13.6 mil in guaranteed money from a notoriously stingy team. That's 700,000 more than the Bills are reportingly guaranteeing Whitner. Sure seems like lowballing him but it's hard to say for sure without knowing the real numbers. Still, I expect him to sign soon.

734337[/snapback]

Well, the Bills realize that Whitner -- a strong safety -- is simply not worth $14M in guarantees before he has ever taken a snap!  But this is all on them. Afterall, that's what you get when you enter the draft married to a single player and reach in a big way to get him.

This should teach the Bills a lesson, the next time they decide to reach on a player in the top 10.  They should realize that just because they did Whitner and his agent a huge favor taking him so early, there is no such thing as a thank-you discount...

734444[/snapback]

We have no idea if he is a reach or not. Clearly the Bills don't think so, they drafted him there. It also doesn't help their bargaining position to claim in public they rated Whitner higher than Huff. That was just plain dumb. They do need to pay him the going rate though.

Rolle signed a 6-year deal.  If the Bills are offering less guaranteed money for a 5-year deal, it's fine.  If it's less money for a 6-year deal, it's not okay.

734512[/snapback]

The article said the Bills had offered Whitner a 5 year deal, which I have a problem with. I hate seeing successful draft picks leave the Bills in free agency. Not that Whitner has yet proven himself a success, but it's good to be prepared.

Okay, the deal is done and will be announced at 5:07 pm today. DW is having trouble packing his dorm room and getting a ticket to reach Buffalo. He did not expect to reach an agreement so soon and was playing games on his inactive cell phones. <_<

{SOPRANO mode off}

Seriously guys, I have two issues. One - paying so much guaranteed money to rookies is really crazy with them having proven nothing. It is like paying a Harvard Management grad guaranteed retirement . However, this is the trend and management has to trust the scouting department, get with the program and pony up the going rate. I do not agree but it cannot be helped.

Secondly, we have chosen him where we did. Reach or not, his value is that of a #8. For the $600K or so, it sounds ridiculous to not get the deal done (from either side).

Seriously guys, I have two issues. One - paying so much guaranteed money to rookies is really crazy with them having proven nothing. It is like paying a Harvard Management grad guaranteed retirement . However, this is the trend and management has to trust the scouting department, get with the program and pony up the going rate. I do not agree but it cannot be helped.

734569[/snapback]

So trade the pick away every year. It's the only way to avoid overpaying for these rookies.

So trade the pick away every year.  It's the only way to avoid overpaying for these rookies.

734601[/snapback]

You know, part of me wonders as crazy as that sounds if it may be the best way to go.

1st round talent is often drama obsessed me me me type players (excluding Lee Evans, I worship him) that gripe for so much money and then end up sucking.

They ought to jsut pay him the Huff like money.  Why bicker over $1?!?!?!  They need talent, adn Bowens is a career scrub.  Cut Bowens and give the $ to donte....

734676[/snapback]

Can I have $100? I could just keep bugging you, but if you just give me the money, I'll be happy. I prefer cash.

PTR

Give the lil ho another garaunteed mill and subtract that mill from the overall amount of money. Some of these people in the front offices are so bleepin retarded. If he sucks, we can cut him 3 years down the line. The cap hit wouldn't be any worse than it was for us cutting Williams. For Bills' sake just get the guy into camp so it isn't like we wasted our f*$#^@g over-stretched 1st, 1st round pick.

I did not suggest that - re-read what you quoted

734605[/snapback]

No I understood what you're saying. Just reenforcing it. I know you're not the one saying trade the pick. I'm the one saying that. There's no way you can avoid paying the going rate. You can't get a discount on a draft pick. So if you don't want to pay get rid of the pick.